DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

https://www.wetheindependent.com/podcast David Starr and/ or James Musselwhite's podcast about politics and unionisation in Wrestling. Also featuring Sugar Dunkerton's Indie til Infinity in which he does the same thing, but cooler.

Shazza Mackenzie explaining why female Wrestlers end up dating male wrestlers: Basically non-Wrestling people have a hard time with the idea that rather than spending her weekend with you, your girlfriend will spend the weekend on the road with her friends Dave and Tom, who are both jacked up muscle guys with tans, who wear more baby oil than clothes. Whilst wrestlers are used to that sort of thing.

Also, this:

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, odessasteps said:

New super stud cast is Jody Hamilton.

Most interesting thing in this is probably Jory talking about main eventing MSG as a 19 year old in 1959 teaming with his brother vs Rocca and Perez. 

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"I'm not bitter." - Jim Ross

PSA: If you @ him, he'll 100% read it.

Holy shitballs Jim went off the rails this episode. The deeper we get into his podcast with Conrad, there is A LOT of repressed anger coming out. And like Mr Fowler brought up, this is a man who has been an on air talent for longer then some of the AEW guys have been alive. Some dude on twitter throws shade and you go off like that? Yikes

Hell, he's been broadcasting since about four years before I was born. He's probably the consensus choice for best ever at his job (I'm not saying he's my vote, but I bet he'd top a survey of wrestling fans) he put up with Vince yelling at producing him for like twenty five years...

(And that's not even getting into his Johnny Ace rant)

Edited by Brian Fowler

I've tried the Conrad stuff a few times and no thanks, but Arn is one of my favorites. I had a long car ride today so I listened to all of the episodes and I thought they were tremendous. They got better as they went. The last thing from today:

Conrad: What did you think of the Robocop angle?

Arn: Pay me.(meaning just give him his money and he'll do whatever nonsense you want).

Conrad: Who would you rather work with, Renegade or Robocop?

Arn: I could probably have a passable match with Robocop. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I find Conrad most annoying with Bruce and Eric. He's pretty tolerable with Tony, Arn and JR. 

I think he's less personal friends with the later three. Conrad is the worst on STW, but Eric is so unlikable and insincere so often, I think 83 weeks is usually the worst of the shows (with the caveat I rarely listen to WHW because I do podcasts at work, and even when I had the network I rarely did the watch along episodes.)

On October 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM, AxB said:

https://www.wetheindependent.com/podcast David Starr and/ or James Musselwhite's podcast about politics and unionisation in Wrestling. Also featuring Sugar Dunkerton's Indie til Infinity in which he does the same thing, but cooler.

Really enjoying the podcast and how they try to dig a little deeper than a lot of shows that just purely concentrate on the surface level aspects of the business. Cool to hear a lot of different perspectives and personal experiences.

• Thanks 1

The Holidead episode, where Suge D starts debating whether or not The Rock counts as a Black World Champion (and the ramifications of stating an opinion either way) was fascinating.

• Like 1

Just finished that one today and I agree really excellent conversation. The talk of the neutral setting and the norm that so many people, myself included, take for granted without considering how it effects people who don't fit in that at all. I do feel like Dunkerton kind of took over the interview and Holidead faded into the background a bit, but once Dunk gets rolling, he's going to roll.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That Corey Graves podcast is about what I expected it would be.

Was there anything worth checking out?  I wouldn't mind hearing them talk about music but other than that not sure what else is worth  keeping an ear out for.

Well it seems like Seth Rollins was the first guest and judging from some of the clips it was him explaining all of his comments about how much money he makes and how he called AEW minor league.  I wonder if they talked about how awful the Hell in a Cell match and how Rollins spun that

I know CM Punk was really the originator of this but I usually cringe when I hear people start things like "I am going to break the 4th wall" or "I am going to say some of the no no words in this company"

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, quackhell said:

Really enjoying the podcast and how they try to dig a little deeper than a lot of shows that just purely concentrate on the surface level aspects of the business. Cool to hear a lot of different perspectives and personal experiences.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:11 PM, AxB said:

The Holidead episode, where Suge D starts debating whether or not The Rock counts as a Black World Champion (and the ramifications of stating an opinion either way) was fascinating.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, quackhell said:

Just finished that one today and I agree really excellent conversation. The talk of the neutral setting and the norm that so many people, myself included, take for granted without considering how it effects people who don't fit in that at all. I do feel like Dunkerton kind of took over the interview and Holidead faded into the background a bit, but once Dunk gets rolling, he's going to roll.

Excellent episode.  Thanks for the recommendation, @quackhell

Are the "original" show and indie til infinity on the same feed?

• Like 1

Yeah, there's basically three presenters and each show is hosted by one or two of them. Suge D used to present a solo podcast back in the day, which is why he sometimes gets into monologuing, whereas Starr and Musselwhite are more conversational interviewers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1