DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

On the Observer podcasts tip (because I really don't want to post there): Jim Valley sounds exactly like Paul Giamatti and it kinda creeps me out.  At the same time, he referred to Stu Grayson of the Dark Order as looking like "Great Value Kratos," so I have to give him points for that.

• Like 1

He was espousing some pretty DVDVR views during he and Dave's review of All Out. He may be the DVDVR avatar at F4W between that and his Portland love. I appreciated him disagreeing with Dave even if Dave didn't really listen and I disagreed with some of his critiques. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, Oyaji said:

He was espousing some pretty DVDVR views during he and Dave's review of All Out. He may be the DVDVR avatar at F4W between that and his Portland love. I appreciated him disagreeing with Dave even if Dave didn't really listen and I disagreed with some of his critiques. 

His "Great Value Kratos" comment made me think that he for sure reads the board. I swear someone on here said that.

And Dave never listening to someone disagreeing with him or not understanding someone is disagreeing with him is one of the more enjoyable Dave-isms. I feel like whenever Alvarez does it it's when he goes silent and I just picture him hitting his mute button and throwing his hands up in the air. Being friends with Dave has to be extremely taxing or you have to be a really understanding person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

I did, and I got it from him.

OH! Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I listened to that podcast a couple days after All Out.

Great Value Kratos is still the perfect way to describe him.

I listen to the Observer site podcasts and they're fine but god damn don't they do any prep work to plan the shows?  If Bryan and Dave took 5 minutes to lay out what they were discussing before recording, we wouldn't get this amateur hour shit:

Bryan: (show just starts) well it was one of the best Raws in quite a long time...

Dave: waitwaitwaitwait we gotta talk about Anthem buying AXS!

Seriously, like "hey Dave, what do we lead off with and what else should we talk about?"  I worked at a thoroughly awful Baltimore area conservative talk radio station 20 years ago and even the fucking weekend barter shows had some idea of their lineup.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I listen to the Observer site podcasts and they're fine but god damn don't they do any prep work to plan the shows?  If Bryan and Dave took 5 minutes to lay out what they were discussing before recording, we wouldn't get this amateur hour shit:

Bryan: (show just starts) well it was one of the best Raws in quite a long time...

Dave: waitwaitwaitwait we gotta talk about Anthem buying AXS!

Seriously, like "hey Dave, what do we lead off with and what else should we talk about?"  I worked at a thoroughly awful Baltimore area conservative talk radio station 20 years ago and even the fucking weekend barter shows had some idea of their lineup.

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Dave railroads Bryan so much during the topics that "Wait, we gotta talk about Conor!" has been a running joke for years.

I was talking with a friend a few days ago and this came up. It's easily one of our favorite Dave-isms where Bryan desperately tries to start the show, but Dave IMMEDIATELY derails that plan to talk about MMA, some random ass roller derby promoter, or whatever and after Dave goes on and on and on about, without fail, every time, Bryan goes, "Oook, so how about this show" or something to that effect.

They have a format for their shows, it's just Dave has no concept for what that is and doesn't understand why that's annoying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Strangely, I don't find Dave anywhere near as annoying as Bryan.

Dave just reminds me of some of my friends who are super passionate about things but not super socially aware. As a result, I don't mind listening to him ramble and do what he does. I understand how frustrating it is and whenever someone is working with me who isn't familiar with him listens they always comment on it but I'm used to it at this point. Bryan just drives me nuts. 

• Like 1

Which is a shame because Bryan makes some really good points and is far closer to the DVDVR hive mind in opinions than Dave. He's just a gimmick/egomaniac/dink.

He also thinks the world revolves around him and finds happenstance where none exists on the regular. And when he whiffs on a take it is a haaard whiff. 

On 9/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, odessasteps said:

Brian is a much better cohost than the radio guy who preceded him, just because he can fact check Ron and/or fill in missing details that Ron didn’t know.  

Oh yeah, that's what I meant for anyone who wanted to start from the beginning. Think the other guy lasts 10-15 episodes which are more focused on Ron's dad and the Fuller's popping towns

I think Brian starts as cohost around #30. It's around the time Ron is playing hoops for Miami and playing vs Artis Gilmore & Jacksonville.

I havent listened to the Super Studcast with Brutus yet, but I've heard folks say it was good. 

Edited by odessasteps

14 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Man, Conrad recommending a Benoit match every single show is getting really fucking tiresome.

Does he preface his recommendation every time with something like how he knows it's bad/taboo/etc. to mention Benoit matches?  If so then that would get annoying pretty quickly for me.

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Does he preface his recommendation every time with something like how he knows it's bad/taboo/etc. to mention Benoit matches?  If so then that would get annoying pretty quickly for me.

Yes, something along the lines of "If you can watch a Benoit match, and I know a lot of people can't..." basically every single time. He frames it up as if he's being sensitive, and then *picks a damn Benoit match every time*. If you're going to recommend Benoit every week (sometimes more than once a week), at least do away with the pretense that you give a shit that a whole lot of people don't want to watch or even hear about Benoit.

It probably doesn't help that he has basically started only doing PPV-specific shows selected by their 20-year anniversary date. I'm sure that has a lot to do with Prichard and Bisch not having time for 3+ hour shows anymore, but it's not like his hands are tied. Nobody's forcing him to adhere to anniversary-based shows. Also, nobody is forcing him to do a "you have to watch this one match from this show" gimmick. You can talk about the strengths and weaknesses of matches without the Meltzerian ranked lists.

• Thanks 1

Any Ari Shaffir (comedian) fans? Who else is on that Impractical Jokers train? Ari and Sal Vulcano went to the SmackDown MSG show last week. Vulcano is the modern day smark trying to explain modern day wrestling to the less than casual fan, Shaffir. I enjoyed the hell out of this one. Ari had a blast and sounds like he's now a fan, and Vulcano is every one of "us," who went to a show with a friend, who's not generally a fan, and your friend LOVED it, and now he's got a whole list of questions for you. 

I loved hearing Ari's thoughts on Taker, Nakamura, 205 Live, Bray Wyatt, etc. 

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/skeptic-tank  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

Any Ari Shaffir (comedian) fans? Who else is on that Impractical Jokers train? Ari and Sal Vulcano went to the SmackDown MSG show last week. Vulcano is the modern day smark trying to explain modern day wrestling to the less than casual fan, Shaffir. I enjoyed the hell out of this one. Ari had a blast and sounds like he's now a fan, and Vulcano is every one of "us," who went to a show with a friend, who's not generally a fan, and your friend LOVED it, and now he's got a whole list of questions for you. 

I loved hearing Ari's thoughts on Taker, Nakamura, 205 Live, Bray Wyatt, etc. 

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcast/skeptic-tank  

My wife loves Impractical Jokers and didn't know Sal was a huge fan.  I'll have to check this out.  Him and I think somebody else from the show were on Jericho's cruise last year.  They were part of a live podcast and he tells the story about him heckling Bubba Ray at an ECW show and the unfortunate consequences that occurred.

Edited by NikoBaltimore