DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new Bischoff podcast shows how immediately he's become a corporate double talking bullshitter again. So much corporate double talk and misdirection nonsense that Conrad just lets him say with no pushback. Which I get, we can do that as listeners. 

And the show isn't about anything WWE. It's about Scott Steiner in WCW.

If this is any indication, this show is gonna be unlistenable soon. I don't blame Bischoff, once you have to go into that mode professionally, it's gonna bleed over. 

I noticed the same thing. Bischoff has always been full of shit, but now he's a full of shit company man. I too thought that the recent Scott Steiner episode was the best example of this.

Aside from money, I don't even know why Conrad bothers doing the podcast with Eric now. Conrad doesn't even bother pushing back because he knows its pointless and Eric is never going to stop bullshitting. Conrad also sounds completely disinterested. The contrast between 83 Weeks and his podcasts with JR, Bruce, and Tony is pretty stark. He always sounds like he's having a good time with the latter 3 and with Eric he's just going through the motions, plugging Bluechew, going through more of the motions, plugging another ad, etc.

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new Bischoff podcast shows how immediately he's become a corporate double talking bullshitter again. So much corporate double talk and misdirection nonsense that Conrad just lets him say with no pushback. Which I get, we can do that as listeners. 

And the show isn't about anything WWE. It's about Scott Steiner in WCW.

If this is any indication, this show is gonna be unlistenable soon. I don't blame Bischoff, once you have to go into that mode professionally, it's gonna bleed over. 

I haven't 100% noticed a change, but I will say that Bischoff's single-topic episodes are always weaker. He needs something to review and go back over. On the other hand, the Prichard single-top episodes (especially the Undertaker ones) tend to be some of the best because they let Conrad pick at little things that happened during those periods that they'd never get to otherwise. 

I, too, see very little difference. It seems like people who fervently hate Bischoff are more inclined to believe he's insincere or incompetent because that's the talking point that Meltzer has been rolling out for a quarter century.

I also don't hear the difference in Conrad - maybe some projection happening there? If you're disinterested it might seem like Conrad is too. 

• Like 1

One more thing about the single-subject episodes it that it lets Bischoff cover well-trod ground. I don't need to hear him explaining the economics of why he thinks tag team wrestling is bad business again. Once was enough.

I've posted about it previously, but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has checked out the STORE HORSEMEN podcast? They podcast out of the Comedy Store in LA, and quietly had both Enzo and Moxley (more recently), but it hasn't seemed to break through to any newz sites or even the wrestling meme pages that seem to have their pulse on current stuff. 

I think Conrad even made mention to the Moxley/Jericho podcast, as if it was very exclusive. Conrad booked Tony Hinchcliffe for the Ric Flair roast (though it was cancelled), so I would think he'd be somewhat familiar or aware of Hinchcliffe's podcast work. 

I just started listening to the Bischoff podcast. I just like the familiar format and wrestling (back)stories to all the stuff I was so invested in. 

JR's show on Harley is pretty enjoyable, if you can get through the mind-numbingly insane amount of times the snippet of "Ring of Fire" with the horns is played. I'll stop listening to the podcast for that and that alone if it continues.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

JR's show on Harley is pretty enjoyable, if you can get through the mind-numbingly insane amount of times the snippet of "Ring of Fire" with the horns is played. I'll stop listening to the podcast for that and that alone if it continues.

Yeah, it's really out of place and shrill. I understand that the format of this episode needs bumper into and outro music drops between segments but what an awful choice. Now if it comes out that Ring Of Fire was Harley's favorite song, I'll still say it's a terrible choice.

edit: Stick with it, man. Just for the Gerry Brisco segment.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

14 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'd forgot about the Steamboat story. Wrestlers were nuts back in the day!

Well, if you ever wanted an effort in frustration, check out today's Something to Wrestle so you can hear Bruce sound completely out of touch and give you perfect insight as to why WWE is in the position it's in as he constantly says wins and losses don't matter if you can keep your heat and if the story is good. The subject for today's episode is Jericho's WWE run.

What a stupid company. That's all they care about - heat. If it's not that, then it's "stories." Stories I might add that are usually subpar. Or if it isn't that then it's "moments." When you listen to this podcast, it sounds like it's a minor miracle that Jericho did all that he did.

• Like 1

Bitter old man Drunkicho is second perhaps only to WCW heel Jericho. I love this iteration of the man. You'd have to pay me to listen to his podcast, mind you, but that is the case for all wrestling podcasts outside of maybe WOR but I'm not even listening to that anymore. 

35 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Still sounds better than modern Jericho's podcast.  Given how I feel about Jericho these days, it might be fun to listen to Conrad rattle off a list of jobs Jericho was doing when he came in. 

What? You don't like his previews of shows he's barely paying attention to that he interrupts constantly with terrible music cues and bad dad jokes while his assistant adds such helpful comments as "Yeah" and "Maybe"? What's not to like?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

What? You don't like his previews of shows he's barely paying attention to that he interrupts constantly with terrible music cues and bad dad jokes while his assistant adds such helpful comments as "Yeah" and "Maybe"? What's not to like?

I listened to that on a lark the other day because nothing else too interesting was in my podcast feed and I remember someone here mentioning how bad those PPV previews had gotten. Even with forewarning and an awareness of what Jericho is these days, I didn't realize quite how low he'd fallen. When he jokingly complained about how few people listen to those episodes, I believed him. Yikes. They don't care and it shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, if you ever wanted an effort in frustration, check out today's Something to Wrestle so you can hear Bruce sound completely out of touch and give you perfect insight as to why WWE is in the position it's in as he constantly says wins and losses don't matter if you can keep your heat and if the story is good. The subject for today's episode is Jericho's WWE run.

What a stupid company. That's all they care about - heat. If it's not that, then it's "stories." Stories I might add that are usually subpar. Or if it isn't that then it's "moments." When you listen to this podcast, it sounds like it's a minor miracle that Jericho did all that he did.

He’s not wrong, it’s just that people in WWE don’t keep their heat and the stories often aren’t good.

When Bischoff is talking purely his philosophy on storytelling, promos, etc, I think he comes across quite well.

But then he talks about how attempted vehicular homicide is a good story idea for wrestling because it's okay on other shows and I remember how much he can suck at actually applying his philosophy.

• Like 1