DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

No more weekly Art of Wrestling, announced today. There's going to be a few live shows posted that he taped in the last few months, and he's contractually obligated to do one each month until the end of the year, but that's pretty much it. He's moving the archives to Patreon and may do some occasional stuff there if there's enough support.  

I pretty much tapped out when he made the format switch a few months ago, but that's the end of a pretty decent run. 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, EricG said:

No more weekly Art of Wrestling, announced today. There's going to be a few live shows posted that he taped in the last few months, and he's contractually obligated to do one each month until the end of the year, but that's pretty much it. He's moving the archives to Patreon and may do some occasional stuff there if there's enough support.  

I pretty much tapped out when he made the format switch a few months ago, but that's the end of a pretty decent run. 

That sucks.  I actually kind of liked the new format as while I didn't listen all the time it had a nice little variety.  Plus it meant he  could talk to people like Okada for a couple minutes instead of trying to lock him in for an hour.  But while I didn't listen to it as much I'll still miss it.  He pretty was the first wrestler to do this type of thing and I hope those doing it now appreciate him for that.

I also tapped out with the format change. I understand why Colt didn't want to keep doing interviews because it would just lead to repeats, but shit, that's never stopped me from listening to any other podcast that brings back guests for a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time. I highly doubt Cliff only had the stories he told on the podcast.

I also wonder how much the CM Punk podcast, the lawsuit, the falling out with Punk, and other stuff led to him making this decision.

Can ya'll name a few of your top fave Podcasts?
Ya know, I listened to "Busted Open" a lot when I had Sirius for free...but lotsa times that show just turns into blabber. I love Cornette but I know to fast forward past the first 15 minutes or so because the majority of that time is spent shilling his gimmicks or upcoming appearances. I really liked some of Stone Cold's podcasts but I swaer I think he's STILL on CHRISTMAS VACATION from LAST YEAR!

But I'd love to know if anyone agrees on a couple of PodCasts...thanks in advance yo.

C6hHgDtVAAAjBng?format=jpg&name=900x900

Steve Austin took a 6 to 8 month hiatus from podcasting, but returned to doing podcasts again 3 weeks ago. His first episode back was with Tony Khan. Every Tuesday is a new podcast and every Thursday is a classic podcast.

As for best podcasts, eh, they all tend to get old after awhile. I loved the Edge and Christian podcast, but it's just not as funny as it used to be.

The ones I still listen to on a somewhat regular basis are the We Watch Wrestling podcast, What Happened When amd lately the Jim Ross Report has been very good. JR is like Tony in that he just has no fucks left to give so there's no reason for him to not be completely honest with Conrad, unlike Bruce or Eric. What Happened When is probably the best because they're all watch-along type shows with some background or historic info thrown in along with a lot of Tony taking the piss out of whatever was going on at the time.

Jericho's show is still good when he is interviewing people, and not doing his terrible "OMG they BANNED me" WWE pay-per-view previews. He ran one the same week AEW was running a show, that he was appearing on. Jilted lover syndrome is strong with him. 

I still like listening to Cabana, E&C, and Konnan. Raven's pod since he moved to MLW is too wrestling focused, and the best parts of his previous podcast was the bullshit he used to do with Busby. 

I love the Voices Of Wrestling Flagship podcast. Joe Lanza took some getting used to, but him and Rich Kraetsch actually have very sensible views on wrestling, they're not afraid to point out when things suck, but they're both infectiously enthusiastic about what they like, which is mainly but definitely not only NJPW. They (well, Joe) occasionally veer wildly off topic into shock jock territory, but they seem like really good dudes, and I've come to enjoy that element. They can also overdo it hammering home a point that it seems impossible for any sane human being to disagree with, but I'm sure they have to deal with so many Twitter morons and trolls that what seem like strawmen to me are actually what some people present to them as serious opinions.

Also on their network, the Super J Cast is a great listen, similar dynamic but all NJPW. And Joel Abraham has the honour of being one of the only fellow Brits I can stomach listening to talking about wrestling.

• Like 1

When the Sonny Kiss controversy happened I listened to Cornettes Double or Nothing review to hear what he actually said rather than peoples sensationalist versions of what he said and I got hooked. Since then I've gone through probably close to 100 episodes of his two podcasts.

Did Raven ever continue going through his career chronologically? Probably a couple of years ago he had a few episodes that were mostly dedicated to that but then he stopped and most of the show became bullshitting with Busby and I stopped listening.

Edited by bazzil
  • Like 1

@Brian Fowler at least should listen to the new Payoff podcast with Vicki Guerrero live-watching/storytelling during the Brock vs Eddy match. The premise is that they get someone connected to a match to watch it with them while they ask questions. You can skip the intro/conclusion and just listen to her. 

I finally listened to Mark Henry on SCSA podcast. He seemed to be getting a lot of wires crossed about Ahmed Johnson and Faarooq, I remember Faarooq putting Johnson out by kicking him so hard it split his liver not the other way around. Or am I misremembering it?

57 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I finally listened to Mark Henry on SCSA podcast. He seemed to be getting a lot of wires crossed about Ahmed Johnson and Faarooq, I remember Faarooq putting Johnson out by kicking him so hard it split his liver not the other way around. Or am I misremembering it?

That's what I thought as well. That's why Ahmed had to give up the IC title IIRC.

I'm doing the same thing and noticing the same thing. Hogan is being pretty honest and frank here, which is refreshing. I'm also waiting to see if him being a racist piece of crap is addressed.

Now that I’m finished:

-it’s weird hearing Hogan drop f-bombs. 

-sounds like he’s done with Beefcake after hearing him describe their relationship. 

-I’m fucking disappointed but not surprised that they didn’t address the racism controversy. 

-I’m satisfied with his response regarding heat between him and Punk. Shit happens sometimes and in sure super-sensitive Punk’s ego would never accept it. 

-overall, I’m pleasantly surprised at how humble and open Hogan was. Doesn’t change my overall feelings about him, but a good interview is a good interview. 

• Like 3

The new Bischoff podcast shows how immediately he's become a corporate double talking bullshitter again. So much corporate double talk and misdirection nonsense that Conrad just lets him say with no pushback. Which I get, we can do that as listeners. 

And the show isn't about anything WWE. It's about Scott Steiner in WCW.

If this is any indication, this show is gonna be unlistenable soon. I don't blame Bischoff, once you have to go into that mode professionally, it's gonna bleed over. 

• Like 1

The MJF interview on Jericho's podcast is pretty great.  He might be the best heel right now in that even though he's very entertaining in the "cool heel" way, he's also so over-the-top obnoxious that by the end I was all "OMG, shut the fuck UP!"

• Like 2

I've been listening off and on to The Smart Wrestling Fan podcast almost since they started. They do a review of Raw/Smackdown each week with some other stuff thrown in. There are two amazing things about it, one is they have done a show every week since 2005. I don't think they have missed a single week. The other is that I don't think i have ever seen anyone on this board or any other board I've ever been on mention them, which seems remarkable in it's own way.