DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

The most surprising thing about Tony, well two things, is how he can quickly recall dates, matches, shows, etc. This is an odd comparison, but he's like Joe Rogan. Up until a few years ago, Joe was able to pinpoint the exact dates and shows where fights took place and not just in the UFC. Tony does the same, but for wrestling and across multiple promotions. That kind of recall is insane.

The other thing is that he reminds me so much of a friend I had in high school. Similar situation in that my friend's dad owned a big business and they were rich as hell and that basically allowed my friend to get into buying tapes and tape trading. This is like freshman year in high school, so about 1995. That was my first exposure to deathmatch wrestling, ECW, etc. The first tape he gave me had that infamous match in Japan where a bunch of wrestlers are brawling through a shopping mall or strip mall or something like that. I just remember thinking that was the craziest thing ever back then.

Big Japan did the shopping centre match in 1995. NJPW had a skit on some game show or something of Hashimoto and Lyger and others destroying a house. Then there's stuff like the Inoki/Saito island deathmatch.

• Like 1

If I'm the only one here that listened to Jericho's episode yesterday then that's probably for the best.  They gave actual predictions and such but their sense of "humor" made me feel like I lost about 20 IQ points.  So I guess listen at your own risk.

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If I'm the only one here that listened to Jericho's episode yesterday then that's probably for the best.  They gave actual predictions and such but their sense of "humor" made me feel like I lost about 20 IQ points.  So I guess listen at your own risk.

I listened to one of his previews wwe doesn't want you to hear, won't make that mistake again. Love the podcast when he has wrestling guests, but I skip all the rest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is this the match?

I don't have time to watch it now, but does this have someone getting blasted with a watermelon? For some reason I seem to recall someone getting smashed with one, but I might be conflated my memories.

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I listened to one of his previews wwe doesn't want you to hear, won't make that mistake again. Love the podcast when he has wrestling guests, but I skip all the rest.

Like Steve Austin, I feel that Jericho is a great interviewer and I never miss a wrestler episode. But equally, I would never touch the conspiracy theory / ghost / aliens BS with Jericho, and couldn't care less about the hunting / guns / truck jibber jabber in Austin's non-guest episodes. 

But, to each his own. I won't begrudge a man his hobbies and you can tell they are passionate about this stuff. 

As for non-wrestler Jericho interviews, I have enjoyed his conversations with Bruce Dickinson.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 2

I liked the Henry interview but I'm not a big fan of Austin as an interviewer. He rambles way too much when asking questions, sometimes to the point of forgetting what he asked in the first place and then asking a completely different question. At one point during this interview (when he asks about being face or heel) he starts rambling but cuts himself off and just poses the question again.

I went for a walk and the old phone I use only as a podcast storage device has a problem with headphones so I had to use my main phone with very little storage. I decided to just grab two short podcasts from the Wrestling Observer site. I got the most recent episodes of WOL. Big mistake. I've never listened to it before. Bryan is pretty annoying on WOR and the Bryan and Vinny shows but the other personalities help cut some of that. Unfiltered....wow. He is the most insufferable human being. Add the idiotic callers and you have a recipe for something that almost caused my head to explode. At one point when a guy named Ryan called in, I had to fast forward. No wonder people think all wrestling fans are idiotic trash. I listen to Coast to Coast a lot so I know that most people who are regular callers for talk radio shows are not shining examples of humanity but some of these guys really took the cake. Add in Bryan insulting them and yelling at them in the middle of their questions (which really started to get to me because it was obvious a lot of these guys rehearse their calls, probably due to some mental health stuff, and you could tell it really threw them off and flustered them). I know Mike gets paid to do this but I wonder how he can stand to do these shows with Bryan. Are the solo shows with Mike better? I enjoyed his Sin Limite shows with Dave a few years ago. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

I don't mind Bryan but I never listen to WOL.  It's just a waste of time.  The commercial breaks destroy any kind of flow; they can barely get into anything before the music hits and it's time for a break, and nothing is covered in depth.  Also, they don't cover anything that's not covered better on the Observer/F4W shows proper.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

If you remember this from your indies days, the TrROH the years podcast covers the Ring of Honor Rob Feinstein incident and the show after that.  It is 6 hours long but very well done

Edited by hammerva

11 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

R-Truth on E&C made me laugh so hard. Such a likable guy.

11 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

R-Truth on E&C made me laugh so hard. Such a likable guy.

“Dick tendencies “

• Haha 1