DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

Jericho had Dave on to talk about Vince buying WCW and the Last Nitro and the Invasion. 

Funniest thing is how Chris has already proclaimed AEW is the first real competition for Vince since wcw. 

On 5/1/2019 at 3:09 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Sounds like JR and Conrad's new podcast is gonna premier this week. But apparenly it won't be like Contad's other shows because this one will have guests. First one is Hangman Page. I think it's gonna be called The Slobberknocker Audio Show or something like that. 

First 2 episodes have dropped, and it IS like all the other Conrad podcasts. First 2 subjects are JR leaving WCW for WWE, and the curtain call. 

I think I've said this before, but I love the concept of the Conrad shows, going through the Observer with someone who was there.

It's just, Bruce is such a kiss ass to Vince, Eric is just a complete dick who I don't trust, and Conrad is obnoxious as fuck half the time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You would think that could be something they just did on the observer site itself. 

That would basically result in the opposite annoying effect: Everything Meltzer reports is true instead of everything Meltzer reports is false. 

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Really digging the JR/Conrad pod. Very different tone compared to all of the Conrad shows. Gimmickry has been kept to a minimum lol

I'm liking the show as well. JR is really open and in pretty good humor so far. Conrad is dialed down from his usual gimmick. It's too early in the run to really make this call but it may be the best of the three Conrad shows. I can't remember how 83 Weeks started but I eventually stopped listening until the last few months. Bruce's show has high points and low points (more lows than highs lately).

83 weeks has improved greatly due to Eric actually taking notes and doing research. His first few shows were full of I don't recalls and mistruths that were on the fly. Like the fact that Bret Hart's book was ghost written... which it was not. He still bitches about Meltzer way too much but I enjoy it.

Ultimately Bruce is nearing the end because they're going to run out of material.

Jim Ross has been great so far because he has a great memory and doesn't tell the story from just one side.

Listening to the first JR/Conrad episode and I'm enjoying it as well. JR seems really relaxed and is actually kinda funny at times. And he doesn't automatically launch into "Fuck Meltzer" like Eric and Bruce do (not that some of what they say about Dave isn't valid but the way they make their point can be a bit abrasive at times). Conrad's a lot more palatable with JR too. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes

Really good interview with Moxley on today’s Talk is Jericho. He talks about why he left WWE (hint: it’s the reasons you think it is) and who did his Twitter videos (I won’t spoil it but it’s great). Worth a listen.

edit: and now I see it’s all over the main feed. My bad.

Edited by Godfrey

I like the part where he said the battle royale set the business back 50 years. Oh, and this gem about a woman being the referee for a men's match so the match automatically looks less dangerous.

What a crazy old fuckhead.

• Haha 2

If AEW hired Cornette, would he change his tune about any of The Elite*? Or would he stick to his guns on hating them, like with Sami Callihan in MLW?

Because if they wanted to go the heel commentator/ manager route, he'd actually be a pretty good pickup for them. Although I think he's pretty happy with his MLW gig (not that MLW and AEW are competitors; MJF works for both).

* Actually, what's his opinion (or 'opinion'; I'm pretty sure a lot of what he says in his podcast is him either working, or exaggerating to try and get clicks) on Cody & Hangman? I know he hates the Bucks and Omega.

He likes Cody and Hangman just fine.

I think he's dialled it down on Bucks and Omega about 5%.

Cornette's general argument is that a fed with mainstream ambitions needs to appeal to an older audience. Now could you remove 80% of what Cornette hates without ruining the product. Yeah, probably. But the idea that the 45+ demographic is going to come a runnin' is questionable at best, and that will be a 50+ demographic soon enough. Nonetheless, if you implemented about half his suggestions you'd probably have a better show.

• Like 1

Having listened to Jim's review, I dont know if he said anything in the whole thing I would not have predicted before hearing it. 

Figured he would like cody vs Dustin, not bury completely people he worked with in the past and bury most everyone else. 

I will be curious to see if E&C review it this week. They generally are only negative toward creative and not the workers themselves. 

Edited by odessasteps

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

He likes Cody and Hangman just fine.

I think he's dialled it down on Bucks and Omega about 5%.

Cornette's general argument is that a fed with mainstream ambitions needs to appeal to an older audience. Now could you remove 80% of what Cornette hates without ruining the product. Yeah, probably. But the idea that the 45+ demographic is going to come a runnin' is questionable at best, and that will be a 50+ demographic soon enough. Nonetheless, if you implemented about half his suggestions you'd probably have a better show.

As someone who's on the verge of the 45+ demographic AEW would make a HUGE mistake if they tried to appeal that demo in any way.

• Like 2

If you're going for the 'Something for everyone' approach, you want to appeal to every demographic. But arguably Dustin being there is enough. I mean, I'm 44, was a big fan of The Natural Dustin Rhodes back in WCW (never really got into Goldust or Black Reign or any of those other characters. Always felt like a great wrestler being constrained by a gimmick that didn't fit him. But the square peg was forced into the round hole so hard for so long, it started to think of itself as a round peg); My favourite AEW Wrestler is Kenny Omega.

But if by 45+ you mean 45-55, that's a lot different to 45+ meaning 45-100+, and mostly guys in their 60s and 70s, that's a different proposition. 45-55 is fans who think Wrestling in America peaked with Flair's Steamboat and Funk feuds in 89, and the Attitude Era drove them off (because they couldn't watch with their kids any more). 60s and 70s, if they're a lapsed fan who's not still into the current style, you're looking for someone who wrestles like a Harley Race or a Stan Hansen. Not many of them about in 2019. The closest thing would be Walter, I suppose.