DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

I have no problem with listening to the Bruce or Eric shows these days. But that's because even if they're spinning their perspective and line of BS most of the time, it's enjoyable to hear some insight from the inside. Part of why Conrad's yelling schtick doesn't do it for me is because he's aggressively arguing the Metlz side of things. If I wanted that, I'd subscribe to his newsletter and spend more time listening to Bryan being a miserable jerk. I don't for a reason. 

The North Korea episode was interesting. But you've got to be a special kind of dipshit to slip away from your group and go for a jog there. Good lord. 

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

I think Conrad is legitimately entertaining with Tony and the Prichard show is fun, if an unreliable source of truth. It’s just him and Bischoff that I find unbearable.

This is where I'm at. What Happened When is one of my favorite podcasts period. It's also one of the funniest, but even then, there are times where you can now tell that Tony is tired (for good reason), Conrad is tired (for good reason), or maybe they're just not feeling the subject matter.

I get not being into what you're doing when you're calling minor league baseball, which is a grind, or you're planning events like Starrcast while also running a mortgage company. I probably wouldn't do anything but sleep if I had that much going on. Well, sleep, watch Raw and SDL, bitch about it, repeat.

The part about Scott Norton in Korea was crazy. I read about it in Bischoff's book too but it's funny that Norton had to call his wife and tell her that he wasn't out partying it up while he was in NORTH KOREA.

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If I wanted that, I'd subscribe to his newsletter and spend more time listening to Bryan being a miserable jerk. I don't for a reason. 

This is what's so refreshing about the Dave and Garrett podcasts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The North Korea episode was interesting. But you've got to be a special kind of dipshit to slip away from your group and go for a jog there. Good lord. 

Beating the shit out of another wrestler like Scorp did is even dumber

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I've hinted at this before when I talked about Conrad's shouting, but I guess I should outright say it.

Sometimes Conrad's shouting over minor things causes me to emotionally shut down. Growing up in an abusive household with folks that sound very similar to Conrad when he's shouting causes some pretty visceral reactions in me.

I don't listen to any of Conrad's podcasts because of it. I get that my situation is a little unique compared to most of y'all, but it's part of why I say whether or not it's schtick, it can make someone massively uncomfortable.

My guess is that Conrad thinks he's being funny/shouting on behalf of the IWC outrage about legendarily shitty angles or misused talent. Either way, it definitely doesn't come off well. 

2 hours ago, Ace said:

I really can't see a justifiable reason to shout on a podcast.

Same. On the wrestling podcast front alone, I hate when Conrad does it and I hate when Brian Last does it. Conrad's "angry shouts" are so phony and transparent that they annoy on multiple levels. Largely, that ties into my dislike of Conrad's "aw shucks, I'm just a fan guys (who happens to be married to Ric Flair's daughter, a promoter of one of the biggest non-WWE wrestling-related event this year, and wealthy enough to have lots of great contacts) and I have to voice this smark frustration towards the evil BTS wrestling personality." I'm not buying it, I'm sure everyone on this board isn't buying it, and most of the wrestling audience probably isn't buying it. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87
  • Thanks 1

Catching up on this week's STWW and a little nitpick: Conrad really has to recite the results of every single match that the New Blackjacks had in AJPW's Real World Tag League? Is *anyone* listening for that information? We can't just google the results if we're that curious? I mean, it's a three hour show.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, cwoy2j said:

The part about Scott Norton in Korea was crazy. I read about it in Bischoff's book too but it's funny that Norton had to call his wife and tell her that he wasn't out partying it up while he was in NORTH KOREA.

I like his wife from the few interactions I had with her on SSS, but the lack of sense used there and going off the handle the way she did is not super surprising based off of how she acted on SSS as well..

I'm listening to Bischoff's podcast and it's funny to hear him trying to shit on Meltzer reporting on the Alex Wright/Hardbody Harrison fight from 1997. Jericho tells the exact same story as what Meltzer reported.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm listening to Bischoff's podcast and it's funny to hear him trying to shit on Meltzer reporting on the Alex Wright/Hardbody Harrison fight from 1997. Jericho tells the exact same story as what Meltzer reported.

I thought about this exact same thing.

Here's the thing and this is why I constantly question why I listen to 83 Weeks. Yeah, Conrad yelling at Eric is phony as hell and is 100% shtick because again, Eric would just quit and Eric never responds in a dickish way. Take that compared with Eric's demeanor towards the guy that wrote the Death of WCW book or anytime he talks about Dave or even Cornette.

At the same time, I fucking wish Conrad would just take Eric to task on some of this stuff. He doesn't need to use shtick to do it, but on today's episode where he mentioned the Alex Wright/Hardbody fight, all Conrad had to do was say that it's not just Meltzer who reported on that, but it's all of these other people too, namely Jericho. AND THEN, right after Eric gets done saying how full of shit Dave is because Dave wasn't there and Eric goes off on this for about 5 minutes, Eric then says something like, "now, I really don't know what happened because I wasn't there." Motherfucker, how are you going to bitch out Dave for reporting on something happening when he wasn't there and then you turn right around and do the same thing?!?

The only conclusion I can come to is that based on other times Conrad has tried to call Eric out on something, it's just pointless, and so Conrad now just lets Eric get away with saying whatever the hell he wants. I really hate this though, because it just allows someone to spout bullshit as fact and then it allows them to shit on others reporting on what happened when there's corroboration from others that were there.

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought about this exact same thing.

Here's the thing and this is why I constantly question why I listen to 83 Weeks. Yeah, Conrad yelling at Eric is phony as hell and is 100% shtick because again, Eric would just quit and Eric never responds in a dickish way. Take that compared with Eric's demeanor towards the guy that wrote the Death of WCW book or anytime he talks about Dave or even Cornette.

At the same time, I fucking wish Conrad would just take Eric to task on some of this stuff. He doesn't need to use shtick to do it, but on today's episode where he mentioned the Alex Wright/Hardbody fight, all Conrad had to do was say that it's not just Meltzer who reported on that, but it's all of these other people too, namely Jericho. AND THEN, right after Eric gets done saying how full of shit Dave is because Dave wasn't there and Eric goes off on this for about 5 minutes, Eric then says something like, "now, I really don't know what happened because I wasn't there." Motherfucker, how are you going to bitch out Dave for reporting on something happening when he wasn't there and then you turn right around and do the same thing?!?

The only conclusion I can come to is that based on other times Conrad has tried to call Eric out on something, it's just pointless, and so Conrad now just lets Eric get away with saying whatever the hell he wants. I really hate this though, because it just allows someone to spout bullshit as fact and then it allows them to shit on others reporting on what happened when there's corroboration from others that were there.

Working with Prichard made Conrad understand that there's money to be made off the "fuck Dave Meltzer" crowd.

*Who* are all of these other people that witnessed/reported on the fight? It's been clear a number of times that Jericho is a Meltzer source. Why does Meltzer reporting Jericho's version of the story suddenly give it credibility? Are we pretending we don't know that Jericho is full of shit now?

48 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

*Who* are all of these other people that witnessed/reported on the fight? It's been clear a number of times that Jericho is a Meltzer source. Why does Meltzer reporting Jericho's version of the story suddenly give it credibility? Are we pretending we don't know that Jericho is full of shit now?

Well it's a report from someone who was there. Nobody else has come forward and disputed the story Jericho has told. Bischoff's whole bitch about the thing was that Meltzer wasn't there which was silly. It's not like Meltzer just made up a story about Alex Wright and Hardbody Harrison getting into a fight. 

I get that Bischoff can be full of shit too, and that he's deliberately playing up the Meltzer stuff, but this idea that the truth of any given situation is exactly as Dave reports it doesn't really hold up. He uses sources with their own agendas, and people have absolutely built careers off of his reporting. He's spent his career reporting the hearsay of a business full of carnies. It is entirely possible that he got it wrong a time or two, and he clearly has had an axe to grind with both Bischoff and Prichard. They have reason to shit on him. He's gone after them for 20+ years. There is no need to go into full-on Defend Meltzer mode every time Conrad puts a podcast out. 

What agenda could Jericho in WCW at that point possibly have. He couldn't give a shit about Alex Wright or Hardbody Harrison.

Also, again it should be noted that Bischoff himself admitted he wasn't there, but Bischoff is allowed to say he knows what happened even though he wasn't there?

I mean, Bischoff is allowed to say whatever he wants to. It's his podcast. And again, I know he's full of shit too. It just never seems as simple as Meltzer 100% right, Bischoff 100% wrong when everything Meltzer knows is reliant on things he's been told by workers, especially when a lot of his sources are professional bullshitters with strong opinions on how wrestling "should" be (Jericho, Heyman, JR). My guess is that the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I get the impression that the only time Bischoff is really lying his ass off is when he's protecting Hogan. 

Just listened to Jungle Boy on the Jericho podcast. He comes across as so likeable, and really sharp for his age. Tells some great stories too.

I got the same impression from Tessa as well, I’m really rooting for both of them now just from listening to the podcasts. 

• Like 3