DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If I hadnt given upon JRs pod months ago, that would have done it. 

It depends on the guest. This week is Mark Henry, so it got played. Well, started, I didn't even get to the interview yet because he rambles forever at the top.

Conrad would at least give it a tighter structure, although it would likely lose the guests.

Anyway, the Observer website has a note up that Bruce's role has been overstated and he's been hired as a consultant and will still be doing the podcast. 

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

What's the deal with Austin's podcast? They've been putting up "classic" episodes for like 2 months now

He said he needed a sabbatical to recharge/get the new ranch up and running. Supposedly he'll be back soon. Some of the classic eps are really good though, the Heyman one was a fun re-listen with modern context.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, Gonzo said:

Would appear as though Killing the Town is officially dead. Been a month since the last new episode.

Damn shame. . .Lance Storm was pretty damn great and he and Cyrus had a good thing going. 

Not a surprise with Don Callis' schedule. Honestly the show was never really as good once Lance left. Cyrus is a good cohost, just not a good full time host. Him and Lance always did have some of the best debates and analysis of not only what works either in the current product or past shows they reviewed, but explaining from a wrestler's point of view why exactly this works. Shame to see it go

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Power of wrestling. This was a very good conversation.

I can't wait until these shows come out man.

We have a special bonus show up with Damian Abraham stopping by for an in-studio chat with John Pollock.

The two go off in many directions, including Damian’s yet-to-be-released wrestling documentary series, spending a day with Atsushi Onita, going to the home of Rossy Ogawa, the spectacle of WrestleMania Weekend and where the growth potential lies for non-WWE promotions, talent crossing over outside the industry, tape trading, road stories with Fucked Up & more.

Listen to Damian’s podcast Turned Out a Punk, including Episode 101 with Zach Bair of Rise Against and Episode 200 with John Pollock & Wai Ting.

POST Interview: Damian Abraham from "Turned Out a Punk" https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/03/21/post-interview-damian-abraham-from-turned-out-a-punk/

On 3/3/2019 at 12:38 AM, A Guy Named Tracy said:

If you want a fun listen, Cabana recently uploaded his podcast from the Jericho Cruise. The Briscoes are absolutely hilarious. 

Cosigned!

Mark on Jay:

"Let me tell you somethin' 'bout wrestlin' this man: he is stiffer than a weddin' dick."

Edited by Technico Support

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I love how Conrad Thompson has become this salve that old timers put on their shitty podcasts in hopes of boosting listens

I usually enjoy the shows in spite of Conrad, not because of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Cosigned!

Mark on Jay:

"Let me tell you somethin' 'bout wrestlin' this man: he is stiffer than a weddin' dick."

Man, that line had me in stitches.  Them telling drunken tales about stupid shit they've done is well worth downloading it.  Also liked the dude from Impractical Jokers talking about heckling Bubba Ray and what happened to him.

Haven't heard Colt's recent episode but the one before was him quickly speaking with a few people from the New Japan Cup.  What I really loved was at the end of the segments he'd just let you hear sounds from the matches going on at Koreaukan Hall.  It really made me feel like I was there live which was pretty neat.  The recent one is apparently more of that but it's apparently good enough that Colt's asking everybody to hear him and Rocky talk about life on tour.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, MORELOCK said:

I usually enjoy the shows in spite of Conrad, not because of him.

I like the concept/format of STWW and 83W. "Get someone that was there, go through the details of a show or a chunk of someone's career with a fine toothed comb."

I don't like Conrad himself all that much, and Bisch comes off both as a complete dick and full of shit. Bruce is better, but I still don't believe 40% of what he says.

Sean Mooney had Nelson Swegler on last week. Interesting production stories/history from a key guy who never gets interviewed. Him quoting 83-85 Vince as saying they didn't have to worry about ad bumpers on syndicated shows because they're a wrestling company, not a television company was gold. Anyone interested in the production side of things should check this out.

@Bustronaut

I guess being banned from interviewing WWE people has left Jericho feeling like he doesnt need to hold back on criticism because his Wrestlemania episode was full of it.  Even calling WWE out on trying to police what words the media can use. 

Maybe the vodka played a part as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MADCAP said:

It was ridiculous. He shit on every match and was being disrespectful towards some of the wrestlers. 

Im sure after the next All In, he’ll praise every match as a classic. ?

He didn't shit on every match.  There's some he's definitely looking forward such as the main event and Bryan/Kofi.  The only wrestler I recall him really shitting on is Brock due to previous issues he apparently had.  And if you want you can include Corbin though he made sure to say it's nothing against the guy as it's just a bad opponent for Kurt.  Not trying to be a Jericho apologist or anything but that's what I got from it.

As for your point about him praising DoN's matches that I can definitely agree with.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He didn't shit on every match.  There's some he's definitely looking forward such as the main event and Bryan/Kofi.  The only wrestler I recall him really shitting on is Brock due to previous issues he apparently had.  And if you want you can include Corbin though he made sure to say it's nothing against the guy as it's just a bad opponent for Kurt.  Not trying to be a Jericho apologist or anything but that's what I got from it.

As for your point about him praising DoN's matches that I can definitely agree with.

Big fan of Chris Jericho. But at the same time I wish I could find someone who loves me as much as Chris loves himself. He's definitely going to be throwing out all the stars and then some for the Double or nothing matches. With the podcast he was overblowing his "banned from wwe" status but he did make some valid points as Niko outlined.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 12:34 AM, Phil4126 said:

Big fan of Chris Jericho. But at the same time I wish I could find someone who loves me as much as Chris loves himself. He's definitely going to be throwing out all the stars and then some for the Double or nothing matches. With the podcast he was overblowing his "banned from wwe" status but he did make some valid points as Niko outlined.

For most people wrestling is very much an ego-driven business.  And while the mentality might have changed in recent years Chris has the mindset of a wrestler from the early 90s and beyond.  So it's not surprising that he holds himself in such high regard.  But while he definitely has his faults I respect him for using that to take him as far as he can go.  And it seems to still be what drives him to try shit like having a cruise in his name and make it be surprisingly awesome.  So if he hypes up his "banned from WWE" status or thinks he's the best then I'm willing to overlook that.

Okay, so maybe I am a Jericho apologist.  Which is quite fine with me, sure beats being a Vince apologist.

Edited by NikoBaltimore