DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

On 1/18/2019 at 9:16 AM, Technico Support said:

DDP is really missing the boat if his next infomercial doesn't tout this as a feature.  "BRO!  Arthur was a 450-pound shut-in who needed two canes to walk, bro!  Now he's 185 pounds, can do parkour and sucks his own dick, bro!"

SELF

HIGH

FIVE

...BANG!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I get the sense that Conrad is working a lot of the times he get "outraged" at Bischoff and Prichard. He knows who his audience is - he's even come out and said he has to ask certain questions or the Twitter mob will come after him. I have little doubt that there is some idiot on Twitter that has nothing better to do than repeatedly tweet at Conrad that he needs to press Prichard more about the Savage-Stephanie rumors. 

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Listening to the Starrcade '97 talk on 83 Weeks. Even if Eric is full of shit, Conrad's a prick. Good grief. Is Eric this hard up for cash? 

I sometimes get the impression Eric blew a whole hell of a lot of money. He was forced to cash out millions in Time Warner/AOL stock options when WCW was sold, but he talks about not being able to afford to have a plane anymore and things like that. 

Not to mention he was making six figures for years in WCW, then again in WWE, and then again in TNA (Prichard strongly implied once that Spike was actually paying Hogan and Eric) plus those millions, so if he's hard up for money I don't have a lot of sympathy.

FYI, this week's Breaking Kayfabe podcast (mostly vintage CWF discussion with Barry Rose) has Bob Roop talking about that Knoxville  "expose the business" tape that surfaced a couple weeks ago. I haven't listened yet, but will report later if no one beats me to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LP Steve said:

FYI, this week's Breaking Kayfabe podcast (mostly vintage CWF discussion with Barry Rose) has Bob Roop talking about that Knoxville  "expose the business" tape that surfaced a couple weeks ago. I haven't listened yet, but will report later if no one beats me to it.

Was going to mention this too. 

Also, Zellner is the guest on Jarrett’s pod this week.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:21 AM, LP Steve said:

Not a whole lot that was surprising in Roop's interview. The tape was basically part of the Knoxville war. Roop, Garvin, and Malenko were running Knoxville for Ron Fuller, who was down in Pensacola trying to resuscitate that territory. Fuller's people in Knoxville were doing shady stuff with the payouts. Roop and Garvin were pissed and said, what the hell, let's just take over Knoxville. However, before they could make their move, one of their co-conspirators, Dick Slater, stooged them out to Fuller, who came back and sacked Roop.  Roop, Garvin and company decided to go ahead and run opposition anyway. The NWA promoters came in, as they always did, and ran loaded shows (Andre, NWA title matches) against Roop's outlaw group. Roop's group petered out pretty quickly. The tape was their last gasp-- as Roop put it, a way to show the NWA promoters that we could hurt them. It never aired, and Roop pretty much forgot about it until last week.

Roop's contention is that the NWA promoters were scared, not of an opposition group in Knoxville, but of Roop's plan to start a wrestlers' union. It's unclear whether the union thing was shared by everyone in Roop's group or whether it was just his hobby horse. He's going to be on the show next week to talk some more about all this. Bob Roop is a smart guy and fascinating to listen to. I'd recommend this-- Roop comes on about an hour into the podcast, if you don't want to sit through the whole thing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What did he say? 

As I recall, Roop said that Funk was just repeating a story Slater told him, and the story was wrong.

Roop's version is sort of "part two" to the story about the tape. After stooging out Roop and company to Fuller and the NWA promoters, Slater was given the book in Knoxville. Roop's opposition group kept trying to provoke confrontations with the Fuller promotion, challenging them to come to their shows and take them on. As part of that provocation, Roop went alone to one of those loaded NWA shows, bought a ticket and sat as close to the ring as he could, to make the point he wasn't afraid of them. After the show, Roop went to the bar where he knew the NWA wrestlers would be drinking. He was trying to put Slater in the position where he had to do something or lose face.

Roop described the "fight" as kind of a damp squib. Slater came at him, Roop hit Slater a glancing blow with a blackjack, and they were sort of pulled apart. I do remember Roop saying that Dick Slater had never laid a hand on him "in anger." I find Roop more or less credible in his recollections. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

JR all but said on the Ross Report this week that Conrad and him are going to be doing a podcast together, replacing the current JR pod. If you are looking for another puzzle piece.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

New Something to Wrestle With, which is interesting given Conrad's Twitter silence. He also does not sound in the best of spirits at least in the show's open.

It's all a work. They keep teasing stuff during the episode and then at the end they say it's not ending. 

58 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

JR all but said on the Ross Report this week that Conrad and him are going to be doing a podcast together, replacing the current JR pod. If you are looking for another puzzle piece.

If I hadnt given upon JRs pod months ago, that would have done it.