DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do find it interesting Chris considered Impact.

I'm a fan of Jericho. I think he's had three of the greatest character runs in the history of the business. But my God, I think he truly believes he's the GOAT.

It dawned on me a while ago that his problems with the top guys holding him back in WCW weren’t so much that he was being held back from having a chance to prove himself, but that he should have been one of those top guys.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

It dawned on me a while ago that his problems with the top guys holding him back in WCW weren’t so much that he was being held back from having a chance to prove himself, but that he should have been one of those top guys.

Yeah, seems like he still has a chip on his shoulder even though he's proved himself over and over. Part of me suspects he signed with AEW because it's his chance to be The Top Guy in a promotion, which he's never been no matter what he says. The ironic part is that if Kenny also signs then Chris is immediately #2 again.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

The ironic part is that if Kenny also signs then Chris is immediately #2 again.

I dunno. If you're trying to grow an audience and grab those fans who don't currently watch or who ONLY watch WWE (and they are out there), then I'd say Jericho is a much bigger name than Omega. Now if they sign Goldberg, then yeah, Jericho is #2. 

Anyone listen to the Store Horsemen podcast its four stand up comedians out of the Comedy Store in LA. Tony Hinchcliffe is the name i guess. It's cool, they scratch their heads at the same WWE booking decisions that the rest of us do. They record it backstage at the Comedy Store when they are all there doing sets at night so there's an air of unpredictability. Joe Rogan just walked onto the podcast once and took UFC questions for 20 minutes.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Knowing who Chris Jericho even is, is Wrestling Bubble talk. Never mind Kenny.

I’d think between the music, dancing with the stars and that game show, he might have decent name recognition outside the bubble, even if it’s “that wrestler from dancing or that wrestler with a metal band.” 

Jericho is definitely a bigger mainstream star in America, although I doubt his Q rating is all that high.

Amongst wrestling fans, I'm honestly not sure.

But Kenny is more likely to be the top guy because he'll be there closer to full time and is a decade plus younger.

I don't think(and please correct me if I'm wrong)that its being said that Kenny Omega is a bigger star then Chris Jericho, because he isn't. I believe that in Jericho's mind, he is going to AEW to be The Top Guy in The Company. Assuming Kenny signs(which we all know he is going to), it's a safe bet given the buzz surrounding him and the less mileage he has then Jericho, he will be the main guy AEW is built around. Jericho becomes a top guy, not The Guy.

Now, you absolutely need a guy like Jericho, because as is pointed out, there are the fans out there who only watch WWE. And its a safe bet given Jericho's tremendous resurgence(seriously, he hasn't been this good this consistently in a long time)hearing that he chose to go to AEW instead of going back to WWE will draw eyeballs and help grow an audience. He even said himself that if he goes back to WWE, it doesn't matter. No matter what he does, they will always be WWE. If he goes to AEW and they succeed, he can help take credit for getting this thing off the ground. It just seems like in his mind, this is the modern day equivalent of Hogan going to WCW, when he's really the new Terry Funk going to ECW, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I don't think(and please correct me if I'm wrong)that its being said that Kenny Omega is a bigger star then Chris Jericho, because he isn't. I believe that in Jericho's mind, he is going to AEW to be The Top Guy in The Company. Assuming Kenny signs(which we all know he is going to), it's a safe bet given the buzz surrounding him and the less mileage he has then Jericho, he will be the main guy AEW is built around. Jericho becomes a top guy, not The Guy.

Yeah, I meant only within the limited context of AEW. Clearly Jericho is the bigger star. He was in MacGruber!

On 1/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He may not need to have any ribs removed. As we know from Talk is Jericho, Chris is a proponent of DDP Yoga.

DDP is really missing the boat if his next infomercial doesn't tout this as a feature.  "BRO!  Arthur was a 450-pound shut-in who needed two canes to walk, bro!  Now he's 185 pounds, can do parkour and sucks his own dick, bro!"

• Haha 3

On 1/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, Pete said:

Listening to Mustafa Ali on Lilian's podcast, the most mind-blowing thing about him is that he's mixed Pakistani/Indian, which is completely bonkers given how much those countries hate each other. He's got a great head on his shoulders and I hope they strap the rocket on his back.

Not really mind-blowing. I've known lots of Indians and Pakistanis who have been friends/dated. Normal, decent people look past that sort of stuff.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The high point of my entire time ever posting here is going to be "SIT ON THE DILDO BLENDER, TOUGH GUY" and my Duggan photoshop featuring ol' Hacksaw gripping said marital aid, isn't it?

Dude. I thought of that the other day and chuckled. Post the pic, I need a good laugh.

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

Dude. I thought of that the other day and chuckled. Post the pic, I need a good laugh.

I still like to go back and read the sleaze thread when I'm feeling down. The section of the 2016 Impact thread when it appeared the Harris Brothers were going to get the company is good for laughs when you're down.

12 hours ago, The Great ML said:

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I've never seen this picture.

That was like 12 years or so ago, I think.  I definitely don't have it but maybe I'll try to recreate it!

I just tried to image search to see if it was online anywhere and it's not.  But there IS an Urban Dictionary entry for it.  That is fucking hilarious.

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I still like to go back and read the sleaze thread when I'm feeling down. The section of the 2016 Impact thread when it appeared the Harris Brothers were going to get the company is good for laughs when you're down.

Speaking of fun threads to revisit, I remember going back through Sebbeh65’s humorous WON quotes of WCW stupidity multiple times when I needed a giggle. 

Edit to stay on topic: I recently subscribed to the Torch and Wade Keller is honestly the only one of the big wrestling journalist podcasters that I can stomach multiple times per week. 

On 1/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I've never seen this picture.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, The Great ML said:

It was something like this (spoliered for obvious reasons)

Spoiler

hacksaw.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...