DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

I'm giving this card a try since I'm in the mood for some regular wrestling (outside the WWE Universe of robot wrestlers and announcers).  This'll be my first Impact show since the old weekly PPVs and I think it'll be fun.  I really want to see Shamrock, and hopefully Tessa win the strap.  Plus, I really liked the angle they did with Cage and Callihan on their go-home show.

• Like 1

I am a little confused how Shotzi Blackheart gets signed to an NXT contract and has now been on an indie show filmed by IMPACT and now a pre-show match at the PPV against I think Madison Rayne.  Maybe the WWE isn't as worried about IMPACT now they have guys like AEW around

Edited by hammerva

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am a little confused how Shotzi Blackheart gets signed to an NXT contract and has now been on an indie show filmed by IMPACT and now a pre-show match at the PPV against I think Madison Rayne.  Maybe the WWE isn't as worried about IMPACT now they have guys like AEW around

Pretty much really. It’s similar to how MJF gets to work MLW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I think when you sign an NXT deal, you aren't supposed to cancel any of your other dates, so you've got the contract but you're not fulltime performance centre until you've filled your obligations. Whereas if you sign an NXT-UK deal, you're supposed to continue to accept indie bookings afterwards, so WWE can control the direction of the UK indie scene by not letting any WWE contracted workers job to non-contract workers or something, and prevent Walter vs Meiko Satomura from happening even after it was built for months.

http://socaluncensored.com/2019/10/20/joey-ryan-signs-with-impact-wrestling/

Joey Ryan signs with Impact Wrestling

We can confirm that Joey Ryan, who made a surprise appearance at Bound for Glory in Village Park, IL tonight, has signed a multi-year contract with Impact Wrestling. This marks his return to the promotion, as he was previously under contract with the company from 2012 to 2013.

After getting his release from Lucha Underground earlier this year Ryan received interest from both WWE and AEW. He eventually turned down an offer from AEW and announced that he would remain independent.

Ryan reportedly accepted the deal with Impact Wrestling because they would allow him to continue to accept independent wrestling bookings and due to the promotion’s progressive views on intergender wrestling, something Ryan is a strong advocate for.

During his original run with the company, Ryan made his Impact Wrestling debut on May 24, 2012, losing to Austin Aries in a Gut Check Challenge. Early on, Ryan feuded with Al Snow, leading to a match at Bound for Glory 2012, where Ryan was victorious. He was eventually released from his contract, along with several other wrestlers, on July 3, 2013.

Joey Ryan will also continue to operate Southern California’s Bar Wrestling, with the promotion’s next event taking place on October 31, 2019 in Baldwin Park. On that event Joey Ryan will be facing Addy Starr in a barefoot LEGO match. He is also the subject of a documentary film, This Is Wrestling: The Joey Ryan Story, that is currently making the rounds in film festivals.

Makes sense for Joey Ryan, as he already stated impact will allow him to keep all his indy dates, and to be himself. Not a fan of the dick stuff but hey it made him a steady living, so props to him for that.

As for Kylie Rae guess AEW wasn't for her, but doubt we will ever know what happened that it didn't work out over there.

Ryan reportedly accepted the deal with Impact Wrestling because they would allow him to continue to accept independent wrestling bookings and due to the promotion’s progressive views on intergender wrestling, something Ryan is a strong advocate for.

Men beating the shit out of women is considered progressive these days... Ok, I'll check myself out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

Men beating the shit out of women is considered progressive these days... Ok, I'll check myself out.

No, this is pro-Wrestling. You're thinking of intergender MMA. Which no doubt someone will at least try to promote at some point, but they'll probably get cancelled first.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/reno-scum-sign-new-impact-deals-ecw-producers-reunite-bound-for-glory/

Impact Wrestling alumni Reno Scum are returning to the company, according to a new report. SoCal Uncensored reports that Adam Thornstowe & Luster the Legend have signed new deals with the company.

The two were part of TNA/Impact in 2017 but were released months after Thornstowe suffered a torn bicep. They returned for a couple of matches earlier this year.

– PWInsider reports that Ron Buffone and Charlie Bruzzese, who produced and directed the original ECW TV episodes and PPVs, worked backstage last night at Bound For Glory. Buffone was brought in as a producer, while Bruzzese worked as a ringside cameraman.

http://www.pwmania.com/speculation-about-kylie-rae-leaving-aew-for-impact-wrestling

Kylie Rae made her Impact Wrestling debut at Bound For Glory and fans have been wondering what led to her leaving AEW. Bryan Alvarez of F4WOnline.com discussed the situation:

“What happened with Kylie Rae, the reason she got out of wrestling was a personal issue. Now, maybe something happened in AEW where she decided if I return to wrestling I probably don’t wanna go back to AEW. But for those of you who are looking for some massive scandal, or some horrible terrible thing that happened there is no such horrible terrible thing that happened.”

“Now my understanding is that something happened, but the idea that it’s something horrible or terrible or scandalous — my impression is it was nothing like that. Sometimes people just don’t work in certain places that happens all over the world and it’s not a scandal. But, the larger issue of what happened with Kylie Rae was a very personal issue and everyone needs to just move on with their lives. Just because someone entertains you in wrestling doesn’t mean you need to know everything about their personal lives.”

Edited by Wee Bey
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

Yeah, a man pretending to beat up a woman, and vice versa, is progressive in the wrestling scene, because way too many people like to belittle stuff like domestic violence and compare it to a fake sport where two people pretend to beat each other up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

"Maybe something happened, but it was not something terrible, it was not something horrible, it was not a scandal. But something did happen. Now it's nothing bad like that but something happened and it's very personal but it's not a scandal and nothing horrible or terrible but we will never know what happened, just that something happened."

I already hated this "i'm retired. lol jk 3 weeks later im back"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

So in other words, it was a scandal that was bad enough that Kylie almost quit the business.  

Eh, at this point until it's verified what happened I think it's best to just move on from it.  Could be a scandal, could be a mental health issue dealing with increased fame.  Both shouldn't be ruled out yet if she's trying to move on with wherever she wrestles then I'd rather not speculate further on this.

That's pretty much where everyone should be at.  Not jumping on her because she could be in the right, and not jumping on AEW because it could be nothing.  If everyone's happy, then let it be.  It may be a stone no one wants kicked over.  And if its something more, then you can be sure it'll happen again at some point.

• Like 1