DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

From the second of AEW's formation, we knew ROH and Impact would feel it the most. I wouldn't be surprised if neither are around by 2021.

We've been saying that about Impact since less than halfway through its existence.  I think they'll survive somehow though they'll always have issues like this.  ROH has that Sinclair money so they'll pump as little as possible to keep them afloat.  I would prefer if whatever happens is due to their own incompetence though and not due to AEW crippling them to the point of non-existence.

Suddenly it’s AEW’s fault that Impact were using production personnel that weren’t under contract. Maybe if Impact wanted to keep them, they should have locked them up? I’m not nearly as down on Impact as I used to be - I think it’s one of the better promotions on TV now actually - but this is entirely their fault.

• Like 1

I think that people talk a lot about how wrestling scene is thriving and there is lots of talent there, but realistically speaking I doubt that there is that much talent or that it is replenishing fast enough.

I don't want to say that AEW is bad or anything like that, they do what they have to do, but lets realistically look at their impact (bad pun intended) on wrestling scene so far:

1. Gutted RoH. Sure, Sinclair hasn't been doing good job, but thats not the point.
2. Took Impact's production team and to me it looks like Johhny and probably Taya as well when her contract expires are going to AEW. Kross I imagine also wants that and I get the impression that Cage would like that too.
3. Overall lots of the indies will take a hit due to losing popular acts like Lucha Bros. It is not clear how something like PWG will even look after all this?
4. Could be argued that AEW hurt NJPW USA expansion plans.

And AEW won't even compete against WWE. Best case scenario they'll be beating NXT, B-tier brand. Imagine if AEW actually tried to get on WWE's level? Indie scene would become a wasteland.

57 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think that people talk a lot about how wrestling scene is thriving and there is lots of talent there, but realistically speaking I doubt that there is that much talent or that it is replenishing fast enough.

I don't want to say that AEW is bad or anything like that, they do what they have to do, but lets realistically look at their impact (bad pun intended) on wrestling scene so far:

1. Gutted RoH. Sure, Sinclair hasn't been doing good job, but thats not the point.
2. Took Impact's production team and to me it looks like Johhny and probably Taya as well when her contract expires are going to AEW. Kross I imagine also wants that and I get the impression that Cage would like that too.
3. Overall lots of the indies will take a hit due to losing popular acts like Lucha Bros. It is not clear how something like PWG will even look after all this?
4. Could be argued that AEW hurt NJPW USA expansion plans.

And AEW won't even compete against WWE. Best case scenario they'll be beating NXT, B-tier brand. Imagine if AEW actually tried to get on WWE's level? Indie scene would become a wasteland.

For points 1 and 2 It's hard to argue against that.  I would like to see for the production crew who reached out first.  Was it the crew looking to GTFO or was it AEW  looking to use them.  If it was the former then it's hard to fully blame AEW for this.  If it was the latter (them working on that TNT special may indicate as such) then that's very concerning.  Hopefully we get confirmation one way or another.  I can see the need to do whatever to compete against NXT.  But it makes no sense for them to target ROH or Impact when both are going through various struggles and not even close to being on their level.  And if Kross saying there's still payment issues is true then I wonder how bad it is.  It could be part of why Johnny and Cage would look there but Johnny was apparently going to do acting anyway and I only heard about Cage wanting to do the battle royal and nothing past that.

For points 3 and 4 I think the indy scene will be fine though it may take time.  When the indies really became more popular you had folks like Punk and Bryan (among many others from ROH and such) make their way to WWE.  As time went on with NXT rising up a lot more of them went there.  But it did eventually lead to the scene we have now that allowed for those like Pentagon and even Orange Cassidy to make a name for themselves.  So it may not be fully replenished right now but looking around I think they'll be just fine.  And with there now being two major companies to aim towards working at that may be extra motivation for those relatively new to the business to keep making a name for themselves.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

it looks like Johhny and probably Taya as well when her contract expires are going to AEW. Kross I imagine also wants that

Might want to back the Johnny/Taya are AEW bound when her contract comes up.

Also, might punp the brakes on Kross too, as Scarlett is hanging around the PC, so he might be heading that direction.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, hammerva said:

Hey don't worry everyone I am sure that the people doing the Twitch shows will be able to adjust to TV work fine ?

I assume that the people doing the live Impact Plus+ were part of the group that left with Sullivan.  that was generally okay production wise although quite indie looking

I don't think so.  Sullivan's company handled post-production and video package-type stuff.  I think the live stuff is whatever locals they can get to string some tin cans and wire together and duct tape it to an iMac.

They should've seen this coming though.  Especially, when Keith Mitchell jumped to AEW the day of one of their PPVs.

IMPACT's live presentation has pretty much looked like shit since Anthem's taken over.  They shoot it and light it like ROH.  The hard-cam pointed at an empty stage, the handhelds shooting into the lights.  It's awful.  Plus, pretty much every live show has audio issues to start.  They should've had all these issues worked out by now.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:08 AM, RIPPA said:

Beginning in late-October, Impact Wrestling will air Tuesdays at 8 PM Eastern on AXS TV.

COWARDS!  Foolish cowards at that.  If you aren't going to go to war with anyone then Thursday's the night so they can advertise their Plus shows on Fridays, the Twitch shows on Saturdays, and the PPVs on Sundays.  Not to mention better ad sales for weekend-type events like movies, concerts, and dick pills.

• Like 1

Who is the black lady in pig tails who did a shooting star press to the outside on a 3 other women? It was a match on Impact I think?

Edit: My bad. Wrong promotion. I thought it was TNA because the apron had Impact + on the side. 

Edited by Kyuubi
Found the wrestler

12 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Who is the black lady in pig tails who did a shooting star press to the outside on a 3 other women? It was a match on Impact I think?

Edit: My bad. Wrong promotion. I thought it was TNA because the apron had Impact + on the side. 

AQA?

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

AQA?

Yep. She is green as grass and I don’t think the Shooting Star Press is her finisher yet. But I am looking forward to her since the SSP she did was Sydal quality. She is stupid athletic since I know women gymnasts who trained for years who still can’t do a non-cheat Gainer. 

I was watching a highlight wrestling vid(I like to use it as a reference to which matches to watch, sue me) and I saw a woman do a shooting star press and not the cheat gainer kind and was like...wait what?

Anyways, yeah I dig some digging and found her. I apologize for detailing the thread about TNA’s stupid Phoenix like tendencies. 

• Like 1

I was in the crowd for the cage match where she first busted that one out. Her opponent (the awesome Hyan--learn that name, folks) had just done a 450 splash that AQA rolled out of the way of. So when AQA went up to the top, I assumed she was going to do her own 450. I was not prepared for a SSP. You're right, though, in that she's pretty green. But she's a tremendous athlete, and she's learning from the same folks who taught Kylie Rae, so she should end up being pretty good.

Here's the cage match, which has tallied an impressive 11 million views in 4 months.

https://youtu.be/Q2w8R0iknPw

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Thanks 2

I finally saw the clip of Callihan smashing the bottle into Melissa's face and...fuck, learn camera angles. That could've been so well done and instead it was just weak. It's the stupid glass table nonsense with Christian all over again. Do the angle right or don't fucking do it...there's enough other things to do.

I liked that it played off the Edwards thing, that Callihan pushes shit too far and even he knows it and maybe feels bad about it...but fuck. So weak.

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I was in the crowd for the cage match where she first busted that one out. Her opponent (the awesome Hyan--learn that name, folks) had just done a 450 splash that AQA rolled out of the way of. So when AQA went up to the top, I assumed she was going to do her own 450. I was not prepared for a SSP. You're right, though, in that she's pretty green. But she's a tremendous athlete, and she's learning from the same folks who taught Kylie Rae, so she should end up being pretty good.

Here's the cage match, which has tallied an impressive 11 million views in 4 months.

I love how the fans don’t realize what they just saw was extraordinary in terms of athleticism. Like I get the shooting star press is like the basic spot monkey finisher, but AQA is only the second woman in history to do a standing shooting star press in the wrestling business. 

Hyun is awesome too. Booker always had an eye for talent and I’m glad he is doing things outside the ‘E. Thanks fam for hooking me up. 

Anyways what’s up with TNA picking up a bunch of Lucha Underground formers? 

• Like 1

I think most of the LU wrestlers had contracts with AAA, and TNA is partners with Triple A, so got them through that link. Then kept everyone they could who got over (which is basically the English speakers now Penta (and Fenix, though he does speak English) are gone).

19 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Been a Hyan fan since seeing her back in 2016.

• Like 1

Impact is running Homecoming matches on AXS right now.

EDIT: Hey, looks like Championship Wrestling from Hollywood is available on some Dish channel that I get, apparently, so I DVR'ed it. Anybody watch them? What's their lineup like? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 9/30/2019 at 9:20 AM, AxB said:

I think most of the LU wrestlers had contracts with AAA, and TNA is partners with Triple A, so got them through that link. Then kept everyone they could who got over (which is basically the English speakers now Penta (and Fenix, though he does speak English) are gone).

Penta seems to understand english, from my one dealing with him.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Hey, looks like Championship Wrestling from Hollywood is available on some Dish channel that I get, apparently, so I DVR'ed it. Anybody watch them? What's their lineup like? 

Mix of locals and the NWA guys. They're studio wrestling.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I get it on Dish on channel 191 Z Living. Saturdays at 11pm then late sunday nights. 

Decent roster. Got Erik Watts from Tough Enough. Scorpio Sky,Dustin Five Starr from Memphis/North MS. Plus lots of the NWA title holders come thru.

On tag teams you got Reno Scum,RockNES Monsters,and a few others.

Their women are very green..

• Like 1