DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

The AXS TV offices in Dallas, TX are being shut down effectively immediately, Adam Swift is leaving the network (who was responsible for the wrestling being a key feature, back to the HDNet days), and presumably this means Anthem is taking control over production of the New Japan show since everything was handled out of the Dallas offices.

Well they already have a wrestling block on Saturdays. AXS tends to have less commercials so I could even see them cutting a half hour off of Impact. And really, I don't see them having a hard time finding space -- AXS is saturated with replays. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

If AXS dumps New Japan, is there any possibility that having been on American telly for so long would encourage some other station to pick them up?

I saw one interesting point being brought up, basically if Impact has just died before Anthem bought it then less people would have lost their jobs. It is good for wrestling scene that there is another wrestling company, but I doubt that people that got fired from Fight Network and now AXS TV are as thrilled about it. On the other hand, reading all this stuff gives me an impression that neither of those companies were healthy and likely people losing jobs was just a matter of time.

Anthem already canned the top person at AXS (and shut down the Dallas office)

And that now means that Anthem is in control of the New Japan production choices on AXS... including announcers

So I hope you love Josh Matthews calling your stuff

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's the one thing I worry about. Impact, whatever, WOW, whatever. If the New Japan deal starts going to hell because of turnover I will be PISSED.

I mean, I never understand why the AXS stuff was even worth it given you get everything and more with NJPW World. Is there a reason why it would bother you if NJPW isn't on it, or does it just come down to not wanting to spend $9 a month of NJPW World?

• Like 1

If you are a hardcore new japan fan then yes I can see your argument.  But if you are more of a casual fan the weekly run down of the company then that AXS TV show has it a really good compliment.  You still get to see the important stuff and it isn't a 3 to 4 hour grind.  Granted if you watch the AXS TV you probably haven't seen one of the first 4 matches of a New Japan show

Also even though NJPW World has improved, still going through the site for non-Japanese people isn't the best.  I mean I remember when the billing was all Japanese and that was hell

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, I never understand why the AXS stuff was even worth it given you get everything and more with NJPW World. Is there a reason why it would bother you if NJPW isn't on it, or does it just come down to not wanting to spend $9 a month of NJPW World?

I don't get AXS and New Japan World works fine for me.  But one personal benefit is that a friend of the family has a 9-year-old granddaughter who not only watches it all the time but is a huge Tanahashi fan (she likes the others as well).  So for that alone I'm glad it's on there and hope there's no big changes to it on the station.

I have Dish so AXS is free. Between the '80s set, the streaming sites and Ditch (aside from my bizarre interest in the Inoki-ism period which is hard to find) I'm good on whatever NJ World has.

And like Niko has a good example of, New Japan being available on regular television is just good to have overall. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 8:00 AM, hammerva said:

Ah yes Joey Ryan another one of those INDEPENDENT wrestlers who jumps on a major promotion.  Granted a promotion that is so desperate they will let him work indies as well but still 

Also if you were wondering what Johnny Swinger would be, apparently it is a cross between Scott Steiner and the Metrosexual Anthony Greene on the indies.  Hell if Greene was on the juice you probably could have gotten him much cheaper

This video got a few legit laughs out of me so I'm into Swinger's return, for at least a week or two. 

• Like 1

As previously mentioned, Joey Ryan was backstage at the Impact tapings last week in Las Vegas shooting various segments, though he didn’t wrestle at the tapings.

Some indie promotions have told the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Ryan is cutting back on indie dates due to signing a deal with Impact. There’s been no official announcement or confirmation about him signing yet, though.

Ryan turned down offers from WWE and AEW this spring because he wanted to continue wrestling in the indies, which signing with Impact would allow him to still do.

Josh Mathews: "I was embarrassed by the name 'TNA'.  Go back and watch.  I would never say it."

Also, Josh Mathews:  "It's Joey Ryan vs. Billy Gunn!  This one's 'Touch It' versus 'Suck It'!"

Has Ryan's divorce been finalized?  I'd imagine that's the real reason he hasn't already signed with AEW.

https://www.sescoops.com/don-callis-chris-jericho-talk-impact-wrestling-being-hard-to-kill/

On the heels of Impact Wrestling’s parent company, Anthem Sports and Entertainment, purchasing AXS TV, Don Callis and Scott D’Amore appeared on Talk is Jericho to speak about what the deal means for their company. 

“I love Steven Siegal movie titles and I think our first PPV of 2020 should be ‘Hard to Kill'” Callis joked on the show. 

Also during the interview, Don Callis made note of a conversation he had with an Impact employee who has been with the company since the beginning. The employee noted that the new deal with AXS gives Impact more security than they’ve ever had previously. 

“One of the things that is very interesting to me was a comment made by a longtime employee here, who’s been here since the beginning, 2002,” Callis said on the show. “He said to me ‘Don, this company has never had this stability, even with the very large rights fees that came with the Spike Deal.’ He said ‘I was there for that and we were always wondering when is the shoe going to drop? When is something going to happen? Because we are totally dependent on this deal.’ He said ‘we’ve never had this kind of – not just the backing, not just the partners, we own the network, we own the platform.'”

“That for me was very telling,” Callis continued.

They’re probably going to pick the Tuesday slot that aew couldn’t do right? Gonna be the same situation, Smackdown leaves Tuesday’s in October when this broadcast starts up. That would mean there’s going to be five nights of wrasslin on prime time tv. Love it. 

• Like 5