DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

With the Triple A gig and the indies he was doing (he had a greatBloodsport style match with Moxley in Vegas), Kross might have figured he would be financially OK sitting out is Impact deal. But if they're trying to get him pulled from Triple A shows, whilst that might work in terms of pressuring him to cone back, it's not smart business to do business that way. Anyone who is about to become a free agent, if you have more than one opportunity on offer, knowing Impact treats people in this way is going to really point you in other directions.

I saw the company having a major problem with talent shortage in the future, just from NXT's signing sprees and AEW existing. But to pull something like this as well... they'd better pray the Ohio clique is happy, because if they go, there's nobody left.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/09/05/spoiler-big-indie-name-set-for-impact-wrestling-taping/

Since Impact Wrestling will let someone appear on their programming without a solid deal in place then indie workers can stop by. This includes famous dick wrestler Joey Ryan.

PW Insider reports that “Joey Ryan is at the taping and will be appearing this week for Impact.  He was filming pre-tapes earlier today.”

We’ll have to see how much involvement Joey Ryan has with Impact Wrestling’s storylines, but he’s no stranger to the company. He is remaining a true indie wrestler and turning down contracts all over the place, so it would be incredibly interesting if he signs anything with Impact Wrestling.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/spoilers-and-notes-on-talent-backstage-at-impact-wrestling-taping/

Chris Sabin and Paul London are working as producers at the taping.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/naomichi-marufuji-announced-impact-bound-glory

Naomichi Marufuji Announced For IMPACT Bound For Glory

NOAH star announced for Bound for Glory.

IMPACT Wrestling announced that Pro Wrestling NOAH star Naomichi Marufuji will be part of their Bound For Glory event on Oct. 20.

At the IMPACT television tapings on Aug. 16 in Mexico CityMichael Elgin challenged Marufuji to a match at Bound For Glory. It has not been confirmed that Elgin will face Marufuji at the event.

Marufuji has been a staple in NOAH since 2000, having held the GHC Heavyweight Championship three times, the GHC Tag Team Championship six times, the GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship, and the GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships twice. He's also a former IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion.

He has made five previous appearances in IMPACT Wrestling, all in 2017. He last appeared for the promotion on the Aug. 10, 2017 episode of IMPACT, teaming with El Hijo del Fantasma to defeat Garza Jr. & Laredo Kid.

Edited by Wee Bey
  • Like 2

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1132581-impact-wrestling-still-talking-to-axs-tv-viewership-prediction-for-aew-tnt-debut

IMPACT Wrestling Still Talking To AXS TV

As reported by the Wrestling Observer newsletter, IMPACT Wrestling continues to negotiate with AXS TV regarding moving their show onto the network. While some in the company had hoped that they’d be off Pursuit by summer, talks have slowed. However, some of the negotiations involve IMPACT parent company Anthem purchasing AXS outright, which could shake things up and give the brand a more stable home.

Ah yes Joey Ryan another one of those INDEPENDENT wrestlers who jumps on a major promotion.  Granted a promotion that is so desperate they will let him work indies as well but still 

Also if you were wondering what Johnny Swinger would be, apparently it is a cross between Scott Steiner and the Metrosexual Anthony Greene on the indies.  Hell if Greene was on the juice you probably could have gotten him much cheaper

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Ah yes Joey Ryan another one of those INDEPENDENT wrestlers who jumps on a major promotion. 

Joey Ryan isn't under contract with any promotion, so yes, he is an independent contractor. Same as David Starr

Calling Impact a major promotion is a stretch at this point. That's not a knock against them, as I enjoy their product for the most part. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Is that as in buy all of it and be sole owner or as in, buy a piece if it and be co-owner? Because it sounds like the second. Either way, good for them if it keeps them alive.  The business aspect of the wrestling business has been crazier than the wrestling part lately.

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Ah yes Joey Ryan another one of those INDEPENDENT wrestlers who jumps on a major promotion.  Granted a promotion that is so desperate they will let him work indies as well but still 

Also if you were wondering what Johnny Swinger would be, apparently it is a cross between Scott Steiner and the Metrosexual Anthony Greene on the indies.  Hell if Greene was on the juice you probably could have gotten him much cheaper

Holy shit, it's actually Johnny Swinger?!?

• Like 2

i'm trying to fathom the idea of buying a tv channel, and i can't really wrap my head around how that happens. like, it's obviously happened tons of times, but i just can't fathom it right now.

it's just a bizarre concept. you don't actually own anything physical here. it's just trademarks and broadcadting rights. weird. and i'm not even high.

You own the frequency that the channel is carried on, and its slot amongst the various cable companies lineups.

I'm trying to recall a company that was trying to launch their own channel but couldn't buy any of the existing channels at that point, so the scrapped the idea.  Hell, that's why Disney still runs the 700 Club on Freeform (the new name for ABC Family).  Pat Robertson had the leverage with his installed based so Disney is stick with him.

It's nice to put on a concert and dance with the little kids on a Sunday afternoon. For some reason the 7 year old loves Piano Man and there was a Billy Joel concert followed by Blondie this weekend. Let me put it this way, I watched more AXS this weekend for that than I've watched wrestling on an actual TV all year. This isn't nearly as bad as them screwing Corgan so we lost NWAonDemand though.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Fixed.  At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if he goes to church in sweat pants 

You joke but a quick Google search shows there are indeed tuxedo sweat pants.  So I would like to think he can get away with that if he wanted to.

18 hours ago, BEN! said:

Hope Steve Harvey shows up in his big-ass suits and starts making tag team matches.

With this...I don't need the tag matches.

But God...I don't ask for much, but please- have Impact Plus add a show to the network: Steve Harvey watches TNA/Impact's worst moments.

Since Family Feud has devolved to "let's see how long it takes to crack Steve Harvey's mind and drive him insane", I think Impact could finish the job it started.

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What's kinda sad is that - yes, AXS will be an improvement over their current situation - it is still less homes than either what they were getting on Destination America or POP

It's less homes, but in exchange it's a network that, through New Japan/WOW, was clearly all in on providing pro wrestling and wants to have it as a core of the network. If Anthem keeps the WOW (likely due to their willingness to have Tessa Blanchard work both shows) and New Japan (less likely given how NJPW hates Impact, but viable), then this could be the best thing for Impact and for proi wrestling as a whole.