DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

On 8/5/2019 at 8:23 PM, Web Conn said:

I got TNA on Twitch on in the background and its the episode where Jarrett hit Hogan over the head with his guitar in Japan. 

This leads me to a big question if Hogan wasn't gonna do the job to Jarrett 3 years prior why did Jarrett and Russo think he'd do it then?

They could have gone with so many different routes with Hogan that would have made so much more sense. Kept the belt on AJ and ran AJ vs Hogan, or a little more far fetched but when they ran Dusty vs AJ had Dusty win the title and run a program between Dusty and Hogan as i don't think they ever had a program ever maybe. 

TNA wanted Hogan vs Jarrett for their 3 hour sunday PPV Bound for GLory that was supposed to be in November of 03. Ran Dusty vs Hogan for the NWa title in Tampa at the Bob MArtinez Sports Center which holds 3400 people and try to draw a paying Crowd I understand 2003 Dusty vs Hogan but I mean it would have been a whole hell of alot more interesting than Jarrett vs Hogan.

Only thing worse than the booker being an active wrestler is the owner being an active wrestler. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just the idea of Dusty vs Hulk in 2000-whatever would have been shit on so hard. But here in 2019, I imagine John Thorne or Joey Janela occasionally sparking up a joint and thinking to themselves "Hey, what about... " before sadly remembering that Dusty passed away.

I realized after i posted it that i was seeing it through 2019 eyes. Hulk vs AJ i think would have had some buzz but AJ was not booked as a strong champion whatsoever in his first run he was constantly playing second fiddle to his manager Vince Russo geez i wonder who was booker.

• Like 1

I'm not into the intergender stuff but they're too far in to pull out on Tessa Blanchard winning the World Title.  I think she should beat Cage to win it though.

Cage retains at BFG and Tessa wins the X-Title.  Then follow up with a few weeks of Cage successfully defending against Fulton and Jake Crist while Tessa successfully defends against Callihan and Fulton.

Then she exercises Option C and challenges Cage at Destination X on TV.  Melissa Santos as ring announcer.  Cage toys around with Tessa and then she comes back and hits the Magnum for certain victory until Melissa Santos interferes for the DQ and Cage and Melissa turn heel.  Then do a Tessa/Melissa match where the winner chooses the stip for the World Title rematch on PPV and Tessa just murks her and chooses a cage match.  At the contract signing, Tessa pulls out a baseball bat and drills Cage in the clavicle.  Then at the PPV in the unforgiving steel cage, Cage tosses Tessa around and bounces her into the cage and then she hits the Magnum followed by her drilling Cage headfirst into the cage and hitting the DDT for the win.

Now you have to get the belt off of her without making everybody look bad in the process.

Have Scott Steiner send Petey Williams to challenge her and he cuts a promo about how her odds don't look good cause she's a woman but Petey's Canadian so her chances are better than zero but if she really gets lucky and plays her cards right then she could end up as Big Poppa Pump's freak tonight.  Then after she beats Petey, Steiner can send Jordynne Grace to challenge.

Then she can do a short program beating Johnny Impact and then Taya Valkyrie challenges her and Tessa challenges Taya to put up the Knockouts Championship as well so it's title vs. title and Tessa wins the Knockouts Championship as well.

Then at the PPV, she has to have two championship matches defending the Knockouts Championship against some yak and the World Championship against Callihan in a street fight.  She retains the Knockouts Championship and Havok attacks her with a bat and then she loses the World Championship in the main event after fighting off all of OVE and Havok again hits her with a bat.

Then you've got a Tessa/Havok Knockouts Championship program and I don't know, maybe turn Moose face to chase Callihan.

OK, LAX are officially done with Impact *now*. Their last show was last night. They tweeted their thanks to the company and everything. Cody Rhodes briefly retweeted it, then deleted it.

They hyped that on the show tonight. Apparently Ken's launching a new MMA promotion, so Impact's official twitter congratulated him on that. Then Moose started twitter beefing with Shamrock (part of Moose's I deserve better storyline) in an angle they're desperately hoping people will think is a shoot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

They hyped that on the show tonight. Apparently Ken's launching a new MMA promotion, so Impact's official twitter congratulated him on that. Then Moose started twitter beefing with Shamrock (part of Moose's I deserve better storyline) in an angle they're desperately hoping people will think is a shoot. 

It's one of the several bare knuckle boxing promotions that have sprung up, but the "proposed" card I saw was all MMA fighters that were last relevant 15 years ago. I was always freaked out by Tra Telligman and his one missing pec, but I'm more freaked out he is fighting in bareknuckle boxing in 2019. Ken can't be paying those dudes more than $300. After what happened to Tim Hague, who was way younger than all those guys, the last thing those dudes should be doing is stepping into a boxing ring in like Missoula, Montana or Deadwood, SD, or wherever the fuck he plans to do that show with essentially no real serious athletic commission.

• Like 1

This is my general dislike of how Moose is being booked. He went over RVD, great, he probably will go over Shamrock as well even if he loses first match against him. But who cares? Moose is still in his prime and he is beating up 50 years old people who really shouldn't even be wrestling anymore. So whats next? Probably a program with Rhyno once he is done with Elgin? Maybe Dreamer will pop up?

Has his stock risen at all after all this? I think he was more "relevant" when he returned from his injury and joined Aries by turning heel against Eddie. But after that I don't think that he has actually done anything that mattered in the world of pro-wrestling.

Apparently starting at these Las Vegas tapings, Impact will begin to cover all hotel expenses for the entire roster from here on out. They were already doing it for the tapings in Mexico, but weren't for US and Canada dates, but now that's changing.

Good for them. I hope more companies that are in a financial spot to do so end up implementing this policy.

• Like 7

https://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/impact-wrestling-partnering-aaa-promote-lucha-invades-ny-291336

IMPACT WRESTLING PARTNERING WITH AAA TO PROMOTE LUCHA INVADES NY

Lucha Libre AAA and Impact Wrestling are partnering together for AAA's show in New York City.

In a press release that was issued today, it was announced that AAA has engaged Impactto "promote the LUCHA INVADES NY event to be held in the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on the eve of Mexican Independence Day, Sunday, Sept. 15, at 6:00 p.m. ET."

“IMPACT Wrestling and Lucha Libre AAA have been strong partners for many years and this event marks a significant milestone in our collaboration to bring fans dream matches featuring the best international talent from both organizations,” Impact Wrestling president and Anthem Sports & Entertainment chief corporate officer Ed Nordholm said.

Lucha Invades NY was originally supposed to take place at Madison Square Garden but was moved to the smaller Hulu Theater at MSG.

Impact's Tessa Blanchard holds the AAA Reina de Reinas Championship and will defend the title against Taya Valkyrie (who is Impact's Knockouts Champion) at Lucha Invades NY. Blue Demon Jr. vs. Dr. Wagner Jr. has also been announced for the show.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez will be in action at Lucha Invades NY. He made his professional wrestling debut at Triplemania XXVII earlier this month.

Impact and AAA's press release stated that "In addition to IMPACT Wrestling stars taking part in the event, FN Originals (Fight Network’s original production department) will be on-site producing a behind-the-scenes Diary documentary episode on Velasquez. LUCHA INVADES NY will also be broadcast in the U.S. and abroad on Fight Network and other broadcast properties owned by Anthem Sports & Entertainment, the parent company of IMPACT Wrestling, which will also provide marketing and logistical support for the event through its various media assets."

Lucha Invades NY will be available as a live iPPV on Fite TV.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

It is so weird that Impact is helping them to promote it, while AEW is... doing nothing?

It's probably because there won't be any AEW talent on the card that isn't the Lucha Bros. They represent AAA more than AEW anyway so there is that. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - I think that is going be Mondo/Morrison/Impact under another name

But maybe it is THE Johnny Swinger

Johnny Swinger is only 44, and he was in ECW at the same time as Don Callis. And wasn't "Don't sing it, swing it" his catchphrase?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - I think that is going be Mondo/Morrison/Impact under another name

But maybe it is THE Johnny Swinger

Maybe a new gimmick for Johnny Bravo, but for some reason I think it actually will be Johnny Swinger. What kind of shape is Simon Diamond in these days? Can anyone find Big Dick, Mitch, and the Musketeer?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1