DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

On 7/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, Ace said:

The SoCal Impact shows are not selling well, surprising nobody.

That ESports arena is blocks away from where I work, and I'll be getting off right about the time that show starts but literally the only talent announcement they have for the show is Rhyno "going after" Michael Elgin & Brian Cage and that is definitely not enough to get my $25. 

Edited by CSC

https://www.sescoops.com/tessa-blanchard-vs-sami-callihan-ii-booked-for-august-2nd/

Tessa Blanchard vs Sami Callihan II Booked For August 2nd

After headlining Impact Wrestling’s Slammiversary PPV earlier this month, Sami Callihan and Tessa Blanchard will face each other once again on August 2nd. 

Impact Wrestling’s “Unbreakable” will air live from the Esports Arena in Santa Ana, California on Impact Plus. 

Callihan and Blanchard teamed together for Impact Wrestling’s Mash-Up tournament which aired last night. As the winners of the tournament, Blanchard and Callihan will now face each other on August 2nd with the winner earning a shot at the Impact World Championship.

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If anything, I see current ROH as the bastard child of ECW and TNA. I really don't see Impact being WWE-lite anymore. There are things I think Impact does much better than the 'E, namely the women's division, tag team division, and the X division.

Carrying over from the ROH thread, I'm just wondering what some of the highlights of the divisions you named might be?  I haven't watched WWE in a long while, but it's not a huge surprise they, Impact, would offer better matches in those divisions in which the E have mostly always overlooked.  But... what I saw on the Impact episode I watched was a lot of poorly presented, badly edited, cartoon-style wrestling - really playing up who the good guys and bad guys are in that dated sorta way seen on a lot of the Indies here in Ontario (stalling, cheap heat, etc.).  Also, really bad promos and long intros with bad music and overdone gestures.   But I'm curious to see what the high end stuff from this company looks like.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

How far back have you gone? I recommend anything with Tessa Blanchard, obviously. I liked the storyline involving Taya, Rosemary, Su Yung, and Jessika Havoc, which goes back go to battle in the Undead Realm, in which Allie was killed off. Stemming from that came Kiera Hogan's heel turn. I've liked Sami and the Crist's for a long time, and I liked the addition of Madmam Fulton as the monster of oVe. Anything with Rich Swann and Willie Mack is worth checking out. Swann recently had a really good match vs. Michael Elgin. I think Swann vs. Johnny Impact is worth watching. There was also Swann/Mack vs. Elgin/Impact. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How far back have you gone? I recommend anything with Tessa Blanchard, obviously. I liked the storyline involving Taya, Rosemary, Su Yung, and Jessika Havoc, which goes back go to battle in the Undead Realm, in which Allie was killed off. Stemming from that came Kiera Hogan's heel turn. I've liked Sami and the Crist's for a long time, and I liked the addition of Madmam Fulton as the monster of oVe. Anything with Rich Swann and Willie Mack is worth checking out. Swann recently had a really good match vs. Michael Elgin. I think Swann vs. Johnny Impact is worth watching. There was also Swann/Mack vs. Elgin/Impact. 

Seconding all of this. That Swann/Mack v. Elgin/Impact tag was absolutely fantastic and one of my top 5 favs of the year thus far. Swann's a guy I used to hate, then he came here and has been absolutely on fire ever since. Elgin's delivered every time in his short run thus far. As mentioned, Swann/Johnny was good stuff and Swann/Elgin (5/17) received near universal praise.

From the knockouts, I really loved
Taya vs. Tessa (2/19 Street Fight in Mexico City) and Madison vs. Tessa (4/12) as two my of top favorite matches. the Madison/Taya series from May was also very good. Rosemary v Su (5/17 Demon Collar Match) was great, short but suitably violent. And most recently, the monsters ball from Slammiversary delivers the goods.

Really liked the last Cage/Johnny Impact match from Rebellion and Cage/Elgin from Slammiversary. Came out of both matches a bigger fan of Cage than before. Johnny v. Killer Kross (Jan 11 no DQ) was very enjoyable. RVD/Moose from Slammiversary I thought was a damn good straight up match.

the LAX/Lucha Bros rivalry has been the obvious highlight from the tag division. I'd definitely agree that Impact shines best in the three mentioned divisions as well as in the main event picture. Even lower card stuff I didn't expect to like, such as the Deaners, have had some super solid stuff. I dug both the Deaners vs Desi Hit Squad (5/31) and vs the North (6/28)

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, CSC said:

That ESports arena is blocks away from where I work, and I'll be getting off right about the time that show starts but literally the only talent announcement they have for the show is Rhyno "going after" Michael Elgin & Brian Cage and that is definitely not enough to get my $25. 

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

There's one of the Lucha Bros. v. LAX matches where they just go at each other from bell to bell and it's insane. I forget which week of Impact but that was a great TV match.

The title change from Feb 8, I believe. Great match and maybe my favorite of their series.

So I guess the new rumor is that AXS TV doesn't want IMPACT.   So Anthem is now trying to actually BUY the network.   ?‍♂️

If true then this "attempt" would be the 2nd time that TNA fucks with New Japan

Edited by hammerva

I think even if Anthem buys AXS, it's not going to affect NJPW airing, since NJPW airs on Fight in Canada, which is owned by Anthem.  And Impact has gone out of its way to continually apologize to NJPW over it's past management's behavior.  IMPACT needs an international partner since AAA and LU are wrapped in with AEW.

From the new WON

Talks with AXS have appeared to have fallen through which is a disaster since the company has had the expectation they would get on AXS for months. Talks with Leonard Asper, the owner of Anthem, to buy AXS, started back in December. One of the reasons not much has been said is everyone had to sign NDA’s. The idea is that they would be moved to Pursuit, which Anthem owns, without being under a long-term contract that if they made a deal with anyone else, they’d have to make a long-term commitment. And then when the deal came through, they’d move to AXS and be a key part of the station. Those in the company were under the impression at first that they would be moving to AXS in June, and then, when that didn’t happen, the move would be made the first week after Slammiversary. Rumors started circulating at the tapings this past weekend, which have been confirmed, that AXS decided against picking up another wrestling show since they already have New Japan and Women of Wrestling. The sale talks, for Anthem Media to purchase AXS from Mark Cuban, R. Seacrest Media, CAA and CBS, evidently have also fallen through. Those at Impact had talked for months about being confident of getting a new channel because the company has barely any exposure with the Pursuit numbers at last report being around 10,000 viewers and frequent screw-ups, especially in the DVR department (many people who had season passes on their DVR stopped getting new episodes several week ago) and the Twitch stuff they heavily promote is less than 10,000 viewers per week. Impact has survived a number near death experiences, particularly in the last year of the Dixie Carter reign where they kept having to find money from people at the last second to put on the tapings that, had they missed, would violate their international deals and would thus end the company. But getting a new station and off Pursuit, where nobody watches, was considered a necessity, especially at this point

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

This might be the time to finally just let it go. It’s had a far longer tenure than anyone could have hoped. Anyone with watching will be picked up by AEW / WWE / MLW and ROH.  

... well except maybe Callihan

I still think that stuff in MLW was a work and he is coming back at some point.

• Like 2

SHAMELESS PLUG Alert

I started a new podcast reviewing IMPACT! starting from the very beginning with the debut episode on Fox Sports Net 6/4/04. The Idea is through these reviews getting tot he bottom of and understanding why TNA/Impact hasn't made an impact pardon the pun and why the seem to be a hamster spinning in the wheel running as fast as they can better never getting anywhere. I love old TNA from the FSn days to the early Spike Days to in 2012 when they looked to be finally breaking through. New episode will be every thursday I'll post the  first one here and if you like it you can keep on listening

They should just put Impact on YouTube the next day already.  I don't understand why they insist on making it so hard to watch their flagship show.  Friday night at 10 is just a lousy timeslot whether it's on a channel nobody watches or streaming on Twitch.  Nobody would talk about MLW if the only access they had to it was on beIN.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Hell yeah, great signing. Lot of potential for awesome matches here.

Really surprised with this one, but I like it. I figured she was AEW bound. In her first promo, I hope she throws in some kind of jab of wanting to be the Lifeblood of Impact's women's division.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1