DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

PWInsider reports Johnny Impact's contract expired and he is done with Impact for now, though they are still in negotiations. I hope he sticks around as he's been a highlight for the company the last couple years.

I'm a little confused as to what Impact Plus offers, in terms of PPVs.  When do they usually add their PPVs to the service?  I subbed the other day and was hoping to watch Slammiversary today but it's a no go.  Are they quick about adding stuff like that or will I have to wait a ton?

Surprise run in at Fight for the Fallen? Or as a new Heyman/ Bischoff signing? It's pretty good timing, for a contract expiry.

I'd like to see LAX show up in the AEW tag tournament. When Santana and Ortiz showed up as a new incarnation of LAX I was skeptical but they more then made the name there own especially in that feud with the OG'z last year. Great tag team I've seen them live a couple times very fun to watch. AEW needs to fill roster spots.

3 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm a little confused as to what Impact Plus offers, in terms of PPVs.  When do they usually add their PPVs to the service?  I subbed the other day and was hoping to watch Slammiversary today but it's a no go.  Are they quick about adding stuff like that or will I have to wait a ton?

I think the most recent PPV doesn't go up on demand until shortly before the next PPV. At least that's how it was for Homecoming into Rebellion (Jan ~> April). new PPVs can be bought through Impact Plus but are a separate purchase from the monthly subscription. I know at one point they were offering 3 months free if you purchase PPV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Supposedly LAX is choosing between WWE and AEW

Obviously LAX should get that money while they can but I honestly don’t think either option is all that great for them at this moment. AEW is pretty well stocked with tag teams that work the LAX style already and they just came off a loooong feud with the Lucha Bros so they should stay apart for a while. Could be a good match with SCU but neither team feels like they should be taking losses right away. And WWE? Who knows? They could be stars in NXT or they could be riding the the ring on lawnmowers, that place is a total crapshoot right now.

On the other hand, LAX have worked PWG and Progress and some other name indies already (and Mexico?) so maybe there’s nothing left for them but the big leagues or Japan. And maybe I just selfishly want them in a New Japan tag league to see how it goes.

• Like 1

While AEW does have a lot of teams, they do need another centerpiece team. All they have right now are The Young Bucks, and The Lucha Bros. If they are planning on having tag teams headline some big shows, then they’ll need more superstar teams. LAX would provide just that. When The Revival become available, they could be another. Eventually Private Party could be apart of that class in the near future too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Let's just say hypothetically that LAX goes to AEW. They could put together an amazing 8 team tag title tournament.

LAX, Young Bucks, Lucha Bros., SCU, Best Friends, Private Party, The Dark Order, Jack Evans & Angelico

and even if LAX signs with WWE, you could slot in Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus into the tag title tourney

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Let's just say hypothetically that LAX goes to AEW. They could put together an amazing 8 team tag title tournament.

LAX, Young Bucks, Lucha Bros., SCU, Best Friends, Private Party, The Dark Order, Jack Evans & Angelico

You don’t think they’d get lost in that shuffle? I’d rather they put some of that push behind Private Party and build them in house. It’s not an either/or, of course, and I don’t really have any track record to judge them by so you could be right. I think  if they take 6 to 12 months to sign and go in with a head of steam with the other teams already established, they would stand out more.

They are definitely staying as a team though, yeah? Because I don't think anyone wants to see Ortiz on 205 Live while Santana feuds with Bully Ray in ROH. 

Looking at the landscape of the big two, is getting lost in the AEW shuffle more of a risk than WWE's habit of forgetting they even have a tag division? Notwithstanding the "You can't do this, this, that or that because our other teams already use those moves" thing that WWE enforces.

23 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

PWInsider reports Johnny Impact's contract expired and he is done with Impact for now, though they are still in negotiations. I hope he sticks around as he's been a highlight for the company the last couple years.

Yeah. I've always liked Johnny and it's been great seeing him so heavily featured in Impact. Losing both he and LAX would continue to chip away at a roster that keeps becoming thinner and thinner in terms of star power.

With more options and money out there now, I doubt anyone sees TNA as their long-term plan at this point. Everyone is going to make a play for Tessa and you know Cage feels the pull of AEW. So they'll likely experience even more turnover in their top acts over the next couple years.

Rhino and Michael Elgin aren't going to keep this thing afloat themselves. How long till they get desperate enough to dial up El Patron or Aries? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yeah. I've always liked Johnny and it's been great seeing him so heavily featured in Impact. Losing both he and LAX would continue to chip away at a roster that keeps becoming thinner and thinner in terms of star power.

With more options and money out there now, I doubt anyone sees TNA as their long-term plan at this point. Everyone is going to make a play for Tessa and you know Cage feels the pull of AEW. So they'll likely experience even more turnover in their top acts over the next couple years.

Yeah, exactly. I always hate to see them lose important pieces of the company coming off such great shows like Slammiversary now or last year's PPVs. Even though they've always managed to bounce back well, I've really been digging the roster as it is.

• Like 1

Of course there is something to be said for the turnover preventing certain guys from getting too stale. Right now feels like as good a time as any for Johnny to move on. He's been a top guy in the company for a couple years and just put over Swann and Cage. What's left for him right now? A brief tag run with Bravo? Getting involved in the next chapter of Taya vs Tessa? Or worse, getting involved with old ECW guys?

What's the TV situation this week? The next event listed on their site is Sunday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Rhino and Michael Elgin aren't going to keep this thing afloat themselves. How long till they get desperate enough to dial up El Patron or Aries? 

Alberto has what I believe is an MMA bout with Tito Ortiz coming up. TNA has brought in MMA Fighters before so maybe they can continue the feud in a wrestling ring but why would you?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Alberto has what I believe is an MMA bout with Tito Ortiz coming up. TNA has brought in MMA Fighters before so maybe they can continue the feud in a wrestling ring but why would you?

I've seen ADR fight.  I've seen Tito fight.  If Tito is still in any kind of shape, this oughta be a massacre.

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Of course there is something to be said for the turnover preventing certain guys from getting too stale. Right now feels like as good a time as any for Johnny to move on. He's been a top guy in the company for a couple years and just put over Swann and Cage. What's left for him right now? A brief tag run with Bravo? Getting involved in the next chapter of Taya vs Tessa? Or worse, getting involved with old ECW guys?

What's the TV situation this week? The next event listed on their site is Sunday. 

I definitely thought Johnny's next feud would've been with RVD coming off Slam/into BFG, if he were to stick around.

Haven't heard anything about what's on Impact this week yet, since as you mentioned there's no more dates until next week.