DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT is still around in 2019...

Plus, his character work as Joseph Park was pretty solid and came as a pleasant surprise as a guy pigeon holed as ‘just’ a garbage wrestling big man.

It’ll be interesting to see how he gets used as a performer/backstage.

• Like 2

So how fucked is Impact that the guy who stood with them pretty much from day one and turned down many opportunities out of loyalty finally left? Did something happen to push Abyss out, or is the writing on the wall?

As DVDVR’s resident anti-Vince curmudgeon, I feel a similar pang of disappointment I felt when Sting signed up with Stamford.

• Like 1

In the Spring/Summer of '12 IMPACT! was actually really good. Bobby Roode then Austin Aries was Champion. There wasa ton of shit going on it was fun but the best angle they had going was Bully Ray vs Joesph Park. There contract signing was still the best contract signing ive ever seen. that might be hyperbole but The Impact ZOne was a'rockin for it.

• Like 2

I always wanted a young Abyss to go WWE because I felt WWE trainers could have made him better: smooth out the rough edges and cut down on the overselling.  A guy his size, I always felt he gave too much to smaller opponents and it made him seem smaller and less imposing than he was. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Super Ape said:

So how fucked is Impact that the guy who stood with them pretty much from day one and turned down many opportunities out of loyalty finally left? Did something happen to push Abyss out, or is the writing on the wall?

According to Meltzer's story - Abyss wasn't under contract and - while helping from time to time in the office and with creative - he actually hadn't been in that position for awhile.

So it seems more like the WWE gave him a very nice offer for someone who was free to take it. He just did Impact the courtesy first of trying to match/getting permission from them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You're not even in the top ten. 

Please tell me you have an actual top ten. Because whilst I'm not usually a listmania guy, that's one I'd like to see ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You're not even in the top ten. 

I haven’t watched WWE in almost twelve years barring the occasional Raw maybe once every other year. I have to be AT LEAST top 3.

52 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

I haven’t watched WWE in almost twelve years barring the occasional Raw maybe once every other year. I have to be AT LEAST top 3.

If you want to crack the top three, you need to show up in the Raw thread on the regular and tell us what you were watching instead of Raw. 

17 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If you want to crack the top three, you need to show up in the Raw thread on the regular and tell us what you were watching instead of Raw. 

Oh good, I might have a chance. I might be villain #1 in Rippa's book anyway.

Woop Woop

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think I did that once in 2012. Watched that awkward opening to the Raw where AJ proposed to Punk and the anonymous GM came back and I was just like “nah” and threw on MasterChef and then went to bed. Don’t remember if I said it on here though since it was before the new boards.

They should put Impact on their YouTube channel the next day too or even Pursuit's YouTube channel.  Expecting people to go from that on-demand life to watching shit as it airs like some barbarian from 1985.  They can add direct links to ShoPimpAct via the annotations and probably make more selling merch than that spare change Amazon gives them per subscriber.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:33 PM, BEN! said:

They should put Impact on their YouTube channel the next day too or even Pursuit's YouTube channel.  Expecting people to go from that on-demand life to watching shit as it airs like some barbarian from 1985.  They can add direct links to ShoPimpAct via the annotations and probably make more selling merch than that spare change Amazon gives them per subscriber.

This needed to be done from the start.  With Youtube it's worlds easier to just cast it and check it out.  With having to go out of my way to find it through other means while the show's still worth watching there's less of an interest in doing this weekly.  At this point I'm tempted just to see what they put on their Youtube channel and if there's a full match worth seeing then I'll seek it out.  But this just completely sucks and I feel for the likes of Keira who when talking to her was very worried about their future.  They deserve better.

I really don't get why they don't do what tons of streamers and content channels like Geek and Sundry do and stick VOD's of the live stuff for subs only on Twitch.  I mean, it won't be a ton of money, but it's extra pure profit for shit they've aired.  If you don't watch them live and don't get Pursuit, you can't watch them.  That's a huge oversight on a promotion that needs eyes on it.

• Like 2

Matt Sydal and Caleb Konley are both done with the company.

Konley's deal technically expires on 3/1 but it sounds like they won't be using him at the next tapings so he is done.

Sydal was expected anyway due to him about to have knee surgery

Also if you read into the "people moved to alumni section"

• Austin Aries
  • Diamante
  • Bhupinder Singh
  • Gursinder Singh
  • Vikas Kumar

52 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Did Diamante even have an Impact match? I know she got hurt right after she first showed up and was off TV for a long time but then she was only in random backstage bits after, right?

She worked one gauntlet battle royal 2 years ago but that was it for Impact. Other than that she only worked a couple Xplosions and a couple One Night Only ppvs.

• Like 1

It's too bad her leg never grew back.  She was a good addition to LAX.  Now we so rarely get any mentions of Peaches.

Bhupinder Singh's bio says he's part of The Desi Hit Squad.  I don't think he's ever appeared in anything.  Vikas Kumar got squashed on the Indian tapings like two years ago.  His bio makes it sound like he was supposed to be part of The Desi Hit Squad too.  Gama had so much trouble spitting out the team name and just two guys.  I can't imagine how he was going to remember five guys' names.  Maybe that's why they named three of them Singh.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/indies-independent-wrestling-indy-promotions/2019/1/30/18203859/impact-mlw-partner-wrestlemania-week-shows

Impact & MLW team-up to avoid competing during WrestleMania week

As its a destination for wrestling fans from all over the globe, WrestleMania week has become a time & place where every wrestling promotion wants/needs to have a show.

But there are only so many venues, and days of the week. The logistical problems are compounded when companies share talent - an increasingly common thing as feds don’t demand exclusivity so they can attract and book the top stars necessary to make promoting shows profitable, especially during a peak time like ‘Mania week. And this year in an expensive market like New York/New Jersey.

MLW and Impact ran into this problem when their shows were set to go head-to-head on the night of Thurs., April 4. So they teamed up as best they could.

Impact is changing gears and splitting off from House of Glory, with whom they were promoting their ‘Mania week Culture Clash event in Queens on April 4 at 8PM. That would have happened at the same time as MLW’s Fusion tapings. Rather than split talent and fans, Impact is moving to Rahway, NJ and a late night start time (not possible in New York City due to curfew laws) that should allow wrestlers & ticket buyers to do both shows.

House of Glory will now go it alone on the afternoon of Sat., April 6.

54 minutes ago, BEN! said:

It's too bad her leg never grew back.  She was a good addition to LAX.  Now we so rarely get any mentions of Peaches.

Bhupinder Singh's bio says he's part of The Desi Hit Squad.  I don't think he's ever appeared in anything.  Vikas Kumar got squashed on the Indian tapings like two years ago.  His bio makes it sound like he was supposed to be part of The Desi Hit Squad too.  Gama had so much trouble spitting out the team name and just two guys.  I can't imagine how he was going to remember five guys' names.  Maybe that's why they named three of them Singh.

Say what now?