DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I found Bloodsport 2 streaming! 

Spoiler

- Having not seen the first one I didn't know (or maybe forgot) there were no ropes. It's neat. Also funny to think this is the good old Showboat that I watched Hennig/Bock go broadway in for AWA a little while ago.

- Wentz/Henry was a hell of a sprint. One of the armbars out of one guy bouncing off the mat was really cool. 

- Kratos/Hammer had some serious big boy grappling. That stand and trade shit was totally unnecessary but whatever. Match ending on a side chinlock was nicely unexpected.

- Speaking of the lack of ropes, Savoy/Kay had both of them rolling out of the ring which I always enjoy in a match. Kay's "strikes" were pretty piss poor. Another sweet finish and more nice grappling with both of them trying some inspired stuff. 

- SANTINO MOTHERFUCKERS SANTINO~! It's a trip thinking how this comedy worker you watched for years is actually a master judoka. Grimm was a great opponent here for him to boot, getting the first (only?) heel heat of the evening. The part where he kneed him out of that vicious Dragon sleeper was like a rubber band snapping back and Carelli responding to the katahajime with a judo throw was a nice way to say "not a good idea to try judo on a master". I was totally into this from Carelli's first vicious elbows. 

- Minowaman starts off all pro-style with a dropkick? Okay. This one felt like a bit of a cooler after the last match. I'm kinda getting tired of kneebars at this point though it isn't UWF levels of mind numbing luckily. Everyone is coming up with very good finishes for all these matches. 

- I was gonna mention how much I dig DBS Jr.'s gear and then I notice Filthy Tom has THE PAMPERS LOGO on the back of his fucking trunks. Good lord. And of course he takes off his shirt and I notice the front has the Durex logo. What a goof. Plus there's Eve and something else I can't read (Listerine?). Davey finding ways to do the powerslam and (almost) the Sharpshooter in a shoot environment was killer, as was that rewind-level lariat to send them both outside. And we get our first KO of the evening. That was the shit. 

- Fan to Nick Gage: "PUNCH 'IM IN THE THROAT!" Well this goes exactly how you'd expect. If Batista shows up next year we will have a REALLY interesting match. 

- No, I don't know what Bolt Thrower song Barnett came out to (though if it was me it would have been "World Eater"). BTW, he's 41 even though yeah I guess war is ageless. Dickinson is a beast here, just smothering and grinding Old Man Barnett who keeps trying to power out. Back of the head strikes play a key factor in this one which the announcer thankfully brings up and Josh has some great selling of these, there's a spot in the beginning and at the very end where you think he's out on his feet yet he recovers with power. Another banger of a finish. 

I wish I could have seen the dark matches (I guess those first two were? They didn't show up on the feed I found) but otherwise, this was a hell of a card. Every single match was a blast in their own way.. Highest recommendation. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wish I could have seen the dark matches (I guess those first two were? They didn't show up on the feed I found) but otherwise, this was a hell of a card. Every single match was a blast in their own way.. Highest recommendation. 

Bummer. You really need to see Matt Makowski vs. Rory Gulak. Easily my pick for MOTN.

I'm going to Lucha conquest V tomorrow night in Kissimmee at the Livestock pavillion. The main event is Carlito vs Psycho Clown. Also Texano vs Mecha Wolf which should be a good match. The match the show has been built around is Savio Vega and Noriega vs Boricua Guerrero and 75 year old Invader 1. I think it's Invader's first match on the mainland since the early 80's. It's probably not a good idea to book him since last time he could hardly get in the ring. All I know is the money mark behind the promotion must be a fan and they seem to building to a casket match.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

I'm going to Lucha conquest V tomorrow night in Kissimmee at the Livestock pavillion. The main event is Carlito vs Psycho Clown. Also Texano vs Mecha Wolf which should be a good match. The match the show has been built around is Savio Vega and Noriega vs Boricua Guerrero and 75 year old Invader 1. I think it's Invader's first match on the mainland since the early 80's. It's probably not a good idea to book him since last time he could hardly get in the ring. All I know is the money mark behind the promotion must be a fan and they seem to building to a casket match.

Can’t say that’s not logical booking...

2-E945176-C3-FD-47-AC-9401-8-D8-B7-B2-A6

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

Invader I in a casket match. 

Facepalm

• Like 1

Watched the Mystery Vortex guerrilla warfare match between Darby and Janela thinking it would be a fun mess. It was certainly a mess and while I've seen a lot of bad Joey Janela matches this may have been his worst performance of the lot. Just pathetic execution, sloppy, the worst selling, taking forever to set things up and they don't work. I like him as a personality but have mostly enjoyed him in ring when he has a lot of goofy shit to play with. This was supposed to be a match he excels at and instead he shit the bed. It's so sad to see how far the quality of talent has fallen off in PWG. Even after the first really strong wave of NXT signings happened they at least still had some really great main events. Then the second wave happened leaving them paper thin and a ghost of their former selves trying to rebuild with whatever they can. The move away from the sweat box that is the Legion Hall also didn't help but it was more a final nail in the coffin than anything else. I think I need to stop watching until I hear they pick up again from somebody other than Meltzer because it's both extremely sad and frustrating to watch right now. ~2014-2017 PWG was some of the most fun I had watching wrestling. That last ZSJ/Chuck Taylor match was the last gasp of greatness. 

• Like 2

He seems like a dude who's not good, yet he's somehow managed to convince folks into thinking he is. Similar to Nick Gage.

Apparently he also had a match with Dan Maff some weeks ago in which he kicked out of 3 burning hammers... So overkill much?

5 hours ago, Ace said:

Are we pretending Dan Maff hasn't been overkill for his entire career?

Sure.

Maff has gone into overkill, but you can run him over with a Prius and he'll stay down.

You run Joey Janela over with a Mack Truck and he kicks out at 2.99.

To pin Janela, you have to kill him, run to hell, beat Satan and then you can pin Janela.

Edited by Edwin

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Hopefully they book Manny Fernandez for the same show

A rival promotion books Manny in town.

Show was fun. Invader didn't do much and got beat down by Savio. They didn't even use the casket which was a bummer. Psycho Clown vs Carlito was very entertaining. Psycho worked rudo since the puerto rican crowd couldn't stand him. He's awesome to watch live.

10 hours ago, Edwin said:

Sure.

Maff has gone into overkill, but you can run him over with a Prius and he'll stay down.

You run Joey Janela over with a Mack Truck and he kicks out at 2.99.

To pin Janela, you have to kill him, run to hell, beat Satan and then you can pin Janela.

This is made all the more absurd by Janela being just a tad more physically intimidating than Marko Stunt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Will BOLA be available as a stream or DVD only?  

PWG stream? LOL it's 2019, buddy. PWG is still stuck in 2008. You'll get a DVD release in a few weeks and a stream on Highspots in 2022.

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

PWG stream? LOL it's 2019, buddy. PWG is still stuck in 2008. You'll get a DVD release in a few weeks and a stream on Highspots in 2022.

The 2018 PWG BOLA event just hit Highspots Network in the past week. So yea about a year from now BOLA 2019 will be on Highspots.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Oyaji said:

Watched the Mystery Vortex guerrilla warfare match between Darby and Janela thinking it would be a fun mess. It was certainly a mess and while I've seen a lot of bad Joey Janela matches this may have been his worst performance of the lot. Just pathetic execution, sloppy, the worst selling, taking forever to set things up and they don't work. I like him as a personality but have mostly enjoyed him in ring when he has a lot of goofy shit to play with. This was supposed to be a match he excels at and instead he shit the bed. It's so sad to see how far the quality of talent has fallen off in PWG. Even after the first really strong wave of NXT signings happened they at least still had some really great main events. Then the second wave happened leaving them paper thin and a ghost of their former selves trying to rebuild with whatever they can. The move away from the sweat box that is the Legion Hall also didn't help but it was more a final nail in the coffin than anything else. I think I need to stop watching until I hear they pick up again from somebody other than Meltzer because it's both extremely sad and frustrating to watch right now. ~2014-2017 PWG was some of the most fun I had watching wrestling. That last ZSJ/Chuck Taylor match was the last gasp of greatness. 

Damn, that sucks.  I'm 3 matches into that show and really enjoying it.  I've been a huge fan of PWG since 2010 and I'm really worried about things getting really thin with everybody with any promise getting snapped right up.  I mean Meltzer said this past weekend's BOLA was good but how many guys on those shows will be around in a few months?