Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/24/2019 at 12:15 AM, Curt McGirt said:

"I'm not ashamed to be white" from "Australian and Anti-Christ" and the (removed from the lyric sheet) "can you see the swastikas turning" in "Unchain the Wolves" would still be mighty questionable even if KK Warslut hadn't walked directly up to the guys from Blasphemy and asked them "what's up with the n***er" (which earned him a well-deserved punch). So if they aren't explicitly Nazis they're racist assholes, which sucks because they are probably still one of the best metal bands going. I wouldn't know, unfortunately...

D666 is on my personal shitlist for KK grabbing my ex/best friend's breasts at a bar, and I'm under the impression he's notorious for things like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, RandomAct said:

Ok, we are a little more than a week out, so who all is going to be at SCI this year?  I'm excited to be the lead announcer this year since Dan "The Dragon" Wilson retired, and this is always the most fun wrestling weekend of the year for me.

Not complaining but Dylan Hales isn't doing it this year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Los Parks had an incident in Seattle this weekend for Defy: it seems they shoot half-stripped a ref, doused his back with water, and whipped him with a leather/pleather piece from one of their outfits. Defy issued a statement that they would never be welcome back.

EDIT: apparently this is part of their gimmick? It seems the ref and/or management was not aware, though.

Edited by Marty Sugar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Los Parks had an incident in Seattle this weekend for Defy: it seems they shoot half-stripped a ref, doused his back with water, and whipped him with a leather/pleather piece from one of their outfits. Defy issued a statement that they would never be welcome back.

EDIT: apparently this is part of their gimmick? It seems the ref and/or management was not aware, though.

What I've gathered from discussions about it, is that Los Parks do it as a spot pretty often, but they legitimately restrained the ref without him agreeing to do it beforehand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching Americanrana 2019 right now and I am trying to figure out how much money I would spend to see Nick Gage put Bryan Alvarez in the hospital in this tag match right now.  Would be worth it

Thomas Santel calling himself the "Ovaltine Dream" and part of NDK (Nerd Death Kill) is high quality shit  🤣

RD Evans vs Orange Cassidy was as expected funny as hell.  The ladder match on pre show was goofy but good fun

Huge win for Chris Dickinson beating Sekimoto .   Dirty Daddy is having one of the best years of his career.   Just a brutal hard hitting match as you would expect.   There must have been no AC in that room because every time they chopped and forearmed each other it looked like they someone was smacking them with a wet sponge from all of the sweat flying 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

 

Super Humman is a bigger get than CM Punk. GCW is absolutely the best at this stuff. 

They're bringing this guy? That's great!

They play the audio quite often on The Jim Norton & Sam Roberts Show. Not that it needs to said, but Norton carries the show. Sam is an awful hack.

 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

Watching Americanrana 2019 right now and I am trying to figure out how much money I would spend to see Nick Gage put Bryan Alvarez in the hospital in this tag match right now.  Would be worth it

...

All in all it seemed like a really good show, but I didn't watch the iron man match at the end because I don't want to see Joey Janela go 60 minutes with anybody. I don't have any particular grudge against him, I just don't really enjoy watching him. I am glad to hear that his never-ending feud with David Starr is finally over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i understand why you bring him in given how incredibly popular he is among indie wrestling fans.  And probably some WWE fans even though they might not admit it publicly. 

But yeah when I see him I get a Freight Train vibe.  Freight Train was the nice lovable guy that guys like Colt Cabana and others used over and over again.  Hell even create a mock group called $5 wrestling based mostly on him.   While I don't think it was mostly mean spirited I do believe he was used mostly because of his disability in a goofy haha way.  He seemed to love it and I guess that is all that matters but I found it uncomfortable a few times.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am trying to figure out how much money I would spend to see Nick Gage put Bryan Alvarez in the hospital in this tag match right now.  Would be worth it

This is a super weird statement.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Casey said:

This is a super weird statement.

And admittingly mean spirited as well so I shouldn't have said it.  Just can't stand Alvarez.  I hear he is a great guy but his Observer character (and I believe it is a character)  is one of the main reasons why I stopped listening to Meltzer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hammerva said:

i understand why you bring him in given how incredibly popular he is among indie wrestling fans.  And probably some WWE fans even though they might not admit it publicly. 

But yeah when I see him I get a Freight Train vibe.  Freight Train was the nice lovable guy that guys like Colt Cabana and others used over and over again.  Hell even create a mock group called $5 wrestling based mostly on him.   While I don't think it was mostly mean spirited I do believe he was used mostly because of his disability in a goofy haha way.  He seemed to love it and I guess that is all that matters but I found it uncomfortable a few times.

 

I'm lost.  Janela is mentally handicapped?  Granted, he's taken enough stupid bumps to kill some brain cells, but I was unaware of that.  Or am I completely misunderstanding you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Henshin-A-Go-Go, Baby said:

I'm lost.  Janela is mentally handicapped?  Granted, he's taken enough stupid bumps to kill some brain cells, but I was unaware of that.  Or am I completely misunderstanding you?

No I mean Super Humman.  To be fair we don't know for sure he is he "mentally handicapped"  whatever that really means in 2019  to begin with.  He may  just a very weird Juggalo kid.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three separate conversations are happening. One is about not liking Bryan Alvarez, another is about not liking Joey Janela, and the third is about Super Humman who is possibly mentally handicapped.

Edited by AxB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never seen a Freight Train or Super Humman match.  I kinda went out of my way to avoid the $5 Wrestling stuff because I was kinda uncomfortable about his participation.  I was never clear on whether or not he was in on the joke or how mean-spirited the joke was.

I've never been very comfortable watching Gregory Irons' matches, for much the same reason.   

 

Edited by Henshin-A-Go-Go, Baby
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Destiny Wrestling has a card on the Summerslam weekend Friday with WWE, Impact and AEW talent. Feature matches are SCU vs OVE and Josh Alexander and Michael Elgin vs Moustache Mountain. I would've gone but I have ROH tickets that night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Some would every everyone in the rasslin business is a little touched. 😉

I'm not arguing that. But I've never walked up to a former Fed guy in public and tried to throw down with him for no damn reason other than twitter follows.

I have stood nose-to-nose with Jesse Neal and told him to pack his shit and get out of my locker room; and I kinda told off Ted DiBiase once for not watching my match when he was sitting directly in front of the backstage monitors...but that's show-related and shit happens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Henshin-A-Go-Go, Baby said:

I've never seen a Freight Train or Super Humman match.  I kinda went out of my way to avoid the $5 Wrestling stuff because I was kinda uncomfortable about his participation.  I was never clear on whether or not he was in on the joke or how mean-spirited the joke was.

I've never been very comfortable watching Gregory Irons' matches, for much the same reason.   

 

There's a good documentary on Freight Train you should check out if you are interested in his story & clearing up the issues you may have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...