Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Recommended Posts

On 6/18/2019 at 12:09 AM, Casey said:

I'm definitely not sitting through a normal SWF show just to see Joey Janela against a 75 year old man.

But it's MOTHERFUCKING SUPERSTAR BILL DUNDEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Don't blame Nana: he raised taxes but it just didn't bring in enough revenue to get Shelley. 

I wonder what Xavier or John Walters were up to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder what Xavier or John Walters were up to.

Walters wrestled a little at the end of last year - basically when like Beyond had a show in MA

Here he is against Jonathan Gresham from Halloween

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, sabremike said:

But it's MOTHERFUCKING SUPERSTAR BILL DUNDEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but that’s not enough of a reason for me to give up making $200 at work. Granted I could take a vacation day, but I wanted to use all of my time towards the end of the year so I could have 2 weeks off - but I’d only be missing 13 hours, so...

I don’t know. I still need more information on this show than just the main event.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, but that’s not enough of a reason for me to give up making $200 at work. Granted I could take a vacation day, but I wanted to use all of my time towards the end of the year so I could have 2 weeks off - but I’d only be missing 13 hours, so...

I don’t know. I still need more information on this show than just the main event.

OK if you'd be giving up $200 that certainly changes things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just signed up for IndependentWrestling.tv. Now, I haven't seriously followed indie wrestling since the early 2000s. I've skimmed bigger shows and cherry picked a handful of matches. Can I get some suggestions on what to watch on here? Any promotions that I need to start following? I am pretty much open to any style. I'm not super familiar with WOS-style stuff but if there is a current promotion doing it, I'd check it out. I'll be honest, lately I've been watching a lot of FMW, W*ING and the old Eastside Connection comps Wes put out, if that gives you an idea of where my head is at. Thanks in advance. If it derails the thread and a mod prefers it, PMs are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 12:17 AM, sabremike said:

OK if you'd be giving up $200 that certainly changes things!

Fuck. I'm just now seeing they announced Mance Warner vs Doug Gilbert in a Street Fight.

They're making this a hard choice.

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I just signed up for IndependentWrestling.tv. Now, I haven't seriously followed indie wrestling since the early 2000s. I've skimmed bigger shows and cherry picked a handful of matches. Can I get some suggestions on what to watch on here? Any promotions that I need to start following? I am pretty much open to any style. I'm not super familiar with WOS-style stuff but if there is a current promotion doing it, I'd check it out. I'll be honest, lately I've been watching a lot of FMW, W*ING and the old Eastside Connection comps Wes put out, if that gives you an idea of where my head is at. Thanks in advance. If it derails the thread and a mod prefers it, PMs are welcome.

I signed up for it as well a few weeks ago. I've mostly started with Beyond Wrestling based on all the good things I've heard about it. I'm also trying to get back into Chikara since I was really into them for years before the shutdown. I also like Black Label Pro. There's also CZW on there up to Cage of Death 18 in 2016. If you've been watching FMW and W*ING lately, Deathproof Fight Club should be up your alley. You also have IWA-MS on there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scenic City Invitationals are fun, too. The 2017 SCI has a great Janela vs Allin match on night one, and a great Gunner Miller vs Matt Riddle match on night two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Eddie Kingston mini-doc

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

The Scenic City Invitationals are fun, too. The 2017 SCI has a great Janela vs Allin match on night one, and a great Gunner Miller vs Matt Riddle match on night two.

All of this happening in Tennessee and I'm just learning about it. Damnit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casey said:

All of this happening in Tennessee and I'm just learning about it. Damnit.

You still have time to get tickets for this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Eddie Kingston mini-doc

I don't think it's a stretch saying Kingston has been one of the best promo guys over the past 20 years. I don't think you can teach Kingston's gift. He's just one of those guys that has "it". Kingston could cut a promo about a chess match and make me want to see it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think it's a stretch saying Kingston has been one of the best promo guys over the past 20 years. I don't think you can teach Kingston's gift. He's just one of those guys that has "it". Kingston could cut a promo about a chess match and make me want to see it.

Not only do I not think it’s a stretch to say King is THE best promo guy of this century, I just think it’s a fact.

 

I also am of the opinion that if you asked me to name the 5 best pro wrestlers of this century so far I also probably end up including Kingston too, so I am biased.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingston's match layout and spammy nature doesn't really mesh with your hatred of other movez guys. He brings emotion certainly but as far as coherent structure, he's not different from people you've been highly critical of during March Madness tournaments. This is coming from somebody who can enjoy Eddie Kingston very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fucking love Eddie Kingston.  That is all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love seeing all the Kingston appreciation as I've been a fan since the Wild Cards days. I really wish he wasn't hanging up the tights, but he is having a hell of a finishing run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 1:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think he does regularly anymore, just here and there.

He recently moved to Philly so he’s been doing his thing in Philly/NJ-area indies. He’s got a couple straps so he’s a big piece of a lot of these places. He’s still as good as ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

I really like this trend of indy wrestlers looking out for themselves when it comes to their personal lives and mental health. I like what I've seen out of her and hope it's nothing serious, and I'm glad she's prioritizing her non-wrestling life.

Well good news is she announced that she is going to continue taking bookings.

Basically she had hit rock bottom after being dumped (by MJF though she didn't name him by name) after quitting her job and relocating to move in with him

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Casey said:

All of this happening in Tennessee and I'm just learning about it. Damnit.

 

On 6/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I just signed up for IndependentWrestling.tv. Now, I haven't seriously followed indie wrestling since the early 2000s. I've skimmed bigger shows and cherry picked a handful of matches. Can I get some suggestions on what to watch on here? Any promotions that I need to start following? I am pretty much open to any style. I'm not super familiar with WOS-style stuff but if there is a current promotion doing it, I'd check it out. I'll be honest, lately I've been watching a lot of FMW, W*ING and the old Eastside Connection comps Wes put out, if that gives you an idea of where my head is at. Thanks in advance. If it derails the thread and a mod prefers it, PMs are welcome.

SCI will be worth it, I can promise, to attend live.  The past events on independentwrestling.tv are worth a dive into.

Would love for people to check out ACTION Wrestling on iwtv as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoyed the live dynamic of watching King, especially folks ribbing him about his tummy.

The beatings he gave Shane Storm & Tim Donst were something else.

@MushroomJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Kingston's match layout and spammy nature doesn't really mesh with your hatred of other movez guys. He brings emotion certainly but as far as coherent structure, he's not different from people you've been highly critical of during March Madness tournaments. This is coming from somebody who can enjoy Eddie Kingston very much.

The thing is Kingston’s best work isn’t in that formula. It’s his stuff we’re he is working as a massive bully against an inferior underdog face (the Storm and Donst matches being great examples. Christ he killed both of them) or at working as an old badass whose body is failing him and letting him sell like a mad man. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Super Ape said:

He recently moved to Philly so he’s been doing his thing in Philly/NJ-area indies. He’s got a couple straps so he’s a big piece of a lot of these places. He’s still as good as ever.

That's awesome. Hopefully, I'll get to see him live again. Embassy and post-Embassy HOTRS Jimmy Rave were always a highlight for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well good news is she announced that she is going to continue taking bookings.

Basically she had hit rock bottom after being dumped (by MJF though she didn't name him by name) after quitting her job and relocating to move in with him

 

Y I K E S

I don't blame her for needing some time away then. Poor thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well good news is she announced that she is going to continue taking bookings.

Basically she had hit rock bottom after being dumped (by MJF though she didn't name him by name) after quitting her job and relocating to move in with him

 

Glad to hear she is feeling good enough mentally to come back to the business. I've only watched a little bit of her work but I've liked what I saw and enjoy her online presence. I know how bad of a place those type of breakups can put you in when you've made long term plans and adjustments that don't work out. . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...