DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Finished nights 1 and 2 of this year's BOLA. I managed to mostly avoid spoilers except for who are the finalists. Best matches so far have been Orange Cassidy vs David Starr, Sekimoto vs Jeff Cobb and Jungle Boy vs Jake Atlas. Felt the first round was little bland, no surprise winners. Hated Joey Janela kicking out of a fire ball to the face, wiping his face and then winning 30 seconds later with a superkick.

Might watch night 3 tonight. Hopefully it plays out better. Definitely hurt having so many newer, less experienced wrestlers debuting I felt. None looked bad but I never believed any of them were advancing past round 1.

• Like 1

"There's a Starr man waiting in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us and he wants to unionize" was a chant I joined in with. David Starr was literally the first person I saw when I got into Fairfield Social Club, working the merch table. But he was only selling We The Independent stuff, not his own personal Merch. And I was already wearing my Unionize shirt, so he didn't try to sell me anything. Jordan Devlin was working the table next to him because OTT kayfabe only applies on Irish soil.

The first half of the show, the Prospect matches, young a hungry guys looking to make a name, that was great. The second half, with the veteran presence, a bit more cagey and less blam blam sudden impact. It was also (from my perspective) hampered by sightline issues because loads of people the same height as me stood between me and the ring, so the matwork was obscured. But that sorted itself out in time for Starr vs A-Kid and Thatcher vs Devlin, which were both outstanding. Although a lot of the main event was more a story of Jordan, Don't Annoy The Large Angry Man than a this could go either way type of deal.

All things considered, a hell of a show. Hopefully it shows up online somewhere soon. They were filming, and they did say if it sold out they'd put it up for free, so let's hope so. Looked very full, anyway.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Felt the first round was little bland, no surprise winners. Hated Joey Janela kicking out of a fire ball to the face, wiping his face and then winning 30 seconds later with a superkick.

Joey Janela in PWG is the dirt worst and this is coming from somebody who generally enjoys him elsewhere, particularly his own promoted shows in GCW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, AxB said:

And I was already wearing my Unionize shirt, so he didn't try to sell me anything.

Jeez, not sure if I saw you there then. I had a plain blue hoodie for the first half and a Joe Coffey Last Man Standing shirt for the second half, and I was hanging round with a My Name Is Earl extra. (Here's where I find out that we were the ones blocking your view.)

Gotta agree with your assessment of the show; the Young Guns colliding was worth a t-shirt from me. I think there are a few from that first half who fit that UWF/Pancrase style that Tetsujin was going for than in the second half, which could also have played into it. Main Event was hella fun though.

• Like 1

Spoiled for size:

Spoiler

EKAu2TFWkAYiSxU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

See the shaved head on the left side, back to camera? That's me. If they include entrances and exits on the video, I'll be all over it.

• Like 2

I'm a little too short to be in that picture, but for the first half I was just behind the the cameraman standing in the corner on the right. If that picture was taken again for the second half, I probably would be in the middle somewhere.

EDIT: My associate wishes it to be known that he is actually a Duck Dynasty reject. 

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

Fairfield Social Club, Manchester, England. It's built under a couple of Railway Arches. Has really great acoustics, the videos don't capture how loud the crowd sounded.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The opening match of last night's Uncharted Territory, which is Beyond Wrestling's live show on IWTV, was Brandon Thurston vs. Jay Freddie.  Late in the match, both men were on the top rope and fell to the outside.  I believe what happened is Freddie landed feet first on the ring steps, which he wasn't expecting to hit, and then fell to the floor from there without being able to protect himself.  He was knocked out for a short time.  Scary moment as the crowd went deathly silent, but everyone handled it as well as possible.  They called the match immediately, paramedics came in, IWTV cut the feed and went to pre-taped bumper spots, Beyond gave an update on social media after a few minutes that Freddie was conscious and in good spirits, and Drew Cordeiro got on commentary to run down what happened when they went back live.  They didn't show Freddie on camera again until he was back up on his feet.

Edited by S.K.o.S.
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, DangerMark said:

Jeez, not sure if I saw you there then. I had a plain blue hoodie for the first half and a Joe Coffey Last Man Standing shirt for the second half, and I was hanging round with a My Name Is Earl extra. (Here's where I find out that we were the ones blocking your view.)

Gotta agree with your assessment of the show; the Young Guns colliding was worth a t-shirt from me. I think there are a few from that first half who fit that UWF/Pancrase style that Tetsujin was going for than in the second half, which could also have played into it. Main Event was hella fun though.

Show is up on YouTube already. And posted in the 2019 matches thread.

• Thanks 1

I'm the idiot grinning in the background when Luke Jacobs gets a rope break with his teeth. 

I'm going to have to watch this show properly and not just watch out for myself and my idiot mate in the crowd. Novelty hasn't worn off yet though. 

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

Nick Gage's GCW title reign came to an end today at 722 days, just 8 days shy of 2 years.

AJ Gray defeated Gage in the main event of GCW's Nashville show to win the title, then Rickey Shane Page immediately cashed in a title shot that Gage had promised him earlier in the night and pinned AJ to become the current champion.

ICW New York has a pretty ridiculous looking ‘No Holds Barred’ card on Jan 4th.

Looks like it might be there equivalent to Josh Barnetts Bloodsport. ‘Interesting’ matches so far include:

Low Ki v Takeda

Killer Kross v Chris Dickinson

Nick Gage v Tessa Blanchard

and Shlak v Necro Butcher

Cant deny I’m extremely curious to see this nonsense!

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

ICW New York has a pretty ridiculous looking ‘No Holds Barred’ card on Jan 4th.

Looks like it might be there equivalent to Josh Barnetts Bloodsport. ‘Interesting’ matches so far include:

Low Ki v Takeda

Killer Kross v Chris Dickinson

Nick Gage v Tessa Blanchard

and Shlak v Necro Butcher

Cant deny I’m extremely curious to see this nonsense!

I just watched Necro vs Shadow WX from the other night in WX's MLW group. Necro... doesn't look good. At all.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I just watched Necro vs Shadow WX from the other night in WX's MLW group. Necro... doesn't look good. At all.

I am all for more shows like Bloodsport but I may wait until reading what you folks think about it.  If it's worthwhile I can always get the replay assuming it's on Fite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic