DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

That is the worst Teddy Hart vs. Homicide match ever. I would've gone to NY to watch this live had I known they were having another match, I'm glad I didn't. Homicide doesn't take many bookings anymore and has slowed down significantly. Teddy on the other hand is still great in MLW. This unfortunately wasn't a violent, hate filed, bloody brawl all over the arena like their past matches and it didn't feature Homicide yelling nonsense at Teddy about Bret Hart, Homicide randomly breaking bottles, the wild JAPW fans or Homicide randomly throwing chairs at Teddy. This had a bunch of weak grappling exchanges and some weak and messy spots and a botched count by the ref. which hurt this even more. The only highlight was Teddy punching Homicide in the mouth a handful of times.

I wonder if/when PWG's next show is.  Their last shows were BOLA, about a month and a half ago.  I'm really curious what things will look like for them in this post-AEW world with so much talent locked up.  Then again, looking at this year's BOLA, only four guys in the tournament are now under exclusive, can't work PWG contract elsewhere, so maybe I'm concerned over nothing.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Technico Support

On 10/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, quackhell said:

Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory Season 2 Ep 2 features a main event of Eddie Kingston vs Timothy Thatcher. Haven't watched it yet, but c'mon, that is going to be the goods for sure.

I really wanted to like this as I'm a big fan of both guys, but it never quite reached that level. It revolved around Thatcher being the superior grappler who kept grounding King and King trying to fit back. It has some neat flashes such as King slapping Thatcher to try and escape submissions, but the crowd seemed someone uninterested and it didn't really deliver at the hoped level.

17 hours ago, Edwin said:

I really wanted to like this as I'm a big fan of both guys, but it never quite reached that level. It revolved around Thatcher being the superior grappler who kept grounding King and King trying to fit back. It has some neat flashes such as King slapping Thatcher to try and escape submissions, but the crowd seemed someone uninterested and it didn't really deliver at the hoped level.

I enjoyed it a lot, but agree that it didn't reach that epic level that it had the potential to on paper or that I had hyped it up in my mind. So many little things to enjoy though and I fucking loved the post match promo. Eddie is the best.

Why aren't more of the indys on everyone's radar booking Kikutaro?

I know he relocated to the US some time ago and has been getting booked, but mostly by smaller indys.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, Technico Support said:

I wonder if/when PWG's next show is.  Their last shows were BOLA, about a month and a half ago.  I'm really curious what things will look like for them in this post-AEW world with so much talent locked up.  Then again, looking at this year's BOLA, only four guys in the tournament are now under exclusive, can't work PWG contract elsewhere, so maybe I'm concerned over nothing.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They usually take the holiday months off and then run again in January, so I would imagine that's the earliest they would return.  

• Thanks 1

Watched OTT 5th Anniversary tonight. While normally they deliver a top to bottom quality show a lot of the undercard was a bit underwhelming for me unfortunately. However the main event with David Starr vs Jordan Devlin for the OTT title is absolutely worth seeing. The build, the atmosphere, the intensity...all off the charts. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, CSC said:

They usually take the holiday months off and then run again in January, so I would imagine that's the earliest they would return.  

I appreciate the reply but they haven't made BOLA the final show of the year since 2009, when BOLA was in November.

Edited by Technico Support

Watched OTT Defiant 3 and knowing Kanji broke her arm made her match with Emi Sakura this awful waiting game. Then it happens and Sakura still hits a double underhook backbreaker into a cross armbreaker on the broken arm...yeesh. I have stopped being a fan of the show must go on and finishing the match with a serious injury for awhile now. Stop the match and you can figure out booking and whatever else later. I know it's difficult for someone to make that call as it happens during a match, but the health of the worker should always come first imo. That being said it was a good show and worth checking out with standout matches in Isla Dawn/Nina Samuels and Millie Mckenzie/Toni Storm.

On Saturday I will be going to the USA Pro show in Orlando. It's opposite the MLW show that @Edwin is going to. Although, I think that show starts earlier. Anyways, I"m mostly going to see Haku vs Dan Maff in a tag match, Vordell Walker vs Chris Dickinson and Shane Douglas vs Justin Credible in 2019.

• Like 1

Went to the USA Pro show @Tim Evans mentioned previously. I headed out of the MLW show at 8 PM before the Havoc vs. Warner Falls Count Anywhere match and I only missed 3 matches from the USA Pro according to the guy at the door, so I got to see all the matches I wanted to see -- the Maff vs. Haku tag title match, the Scott Steiner match and the Vordell Walker vs. Chris Dickinson title match that didn't take place as Dickinson had cancelled and was replaced by Jesse Neal.

The show ran loooooong, but it was packed. It started an hour before I got there and it ended at 12 AM. So a 5 hour show. Haku rules, but he is almost immobile at this point so the tag title match sucked. Steiner cut a promo in which he said all the women at the venue where fat white trash skanks. The match sucked, but it was awesome seeing Scott live. Dickinson had cancelled his booking 2 weeks ago, but I had no idea. We still got a really wild and awesome Walker vs. Neal arena brawl in which they were legit throw some stiff strikes and hitting each other with chairs and taking some insane bumps on chairs and the guard rail. If this show makes video, as it should because someone was recording it ringside, watch this match. It was great. There was also a Shane Douglas vs. Justin Credible match that sucked. Credible is in really rough shape.

Edited by Edwin

CHIKARA's season finale last night was a really great show. Mike Quackenbush and Thomas Santell had a super fun opener worked for 95% of it in a knucklelock, there was a really fun angle/match revolving around the Crucible attacking The Whisper before his title match with Dasher Hatfield causing him to work the match barely surviving, and best of all was the tag title match of Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale vs Tony Deppen and Travis Huckabee. Really great 2/3 tag match, worked perfectly to formula and with a really hot ending run. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

Went to the USA Pro show @Tim Evans mentioned previously. I headed out of the MLW show at 8 PM before the Havoc vs. Warner Falls Count Anywhere match and I only missed 3 matches from the USA Pro according to the guy at the door, so I got to see all the matches I wanted to see -- the Maff vs. Haku tag title match, the Scott Steiner match and the Vordell Walker vs. Chris Dickinson title match that didn't take place as Dickinson had cancelled and was replaced by Jesse Neal.

The show ran loooooong, but it was packed. It started an hour before I got there and it ended at 12 AM. So a 5 hour show. Haku rules, but he is almost immobile at this point so the tag title match sucked. Steiner cut a promo in which he said all the women at the venue where fat white trash skanks. The match sucked, but it was awesome seeing Scott live. Dickinson had cancelled his booking 2 weeks ago, but I had no idea. We still got a really wild and awesome Walker vs. Neal arena brawl in which they were legit throw some stiff strikes and hitting each other with chairs and taking some insane bumps on chairs and the guard rail. If this show makes video, as it should because someone was recording it ringside, watch this match. It was great. There was also a Shane Douglas vs. Justin Credible match that sucked. Credible is in really rough shape.

You misaed the jaka 4 way match which might have been the best of the night. Also missed the headbangers who really havent aged at all. That show was long and sad. Justin credible bleeding and no one caring then crying when Shane did his usual intro for candido and bam bam 4 hours into the show was sad. Maff vs Jacob fatu was a nice surprise. I left during the main cause a 5 hour 15 match show with no intermission is too much.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, Tim Evans said:

You misaed the jaka 4 way match which might have been the best of the night. Also missed the headbangers who really havent aged at all. That show was long and sad. Justin credible bleeding and no one caring then crying when Shane did his usual intro for candido and bam bam 4 hours into the show was sad. Maff vs Jacob fatu was a nice surprise. I left during the main cause a 5 hour 15 match show with no intermission is too much.

Vordell Walker vs. Jesse Neal ruled. Not sure if there's heat between them, but they were just potatoeing each other endlessly. Wish it makes video somewhere as I'd love to rewatch that.

Fatu coming out for the match with Maff was cool, but the match sucked. That botched superkick was horrible.

Forgot to mention, Stephan Bonnar vs. Gorilla Blanco was atrocious. I legit laughed when Gorilla Blanco came out with Teddy Hart and Deon James acting as if he's a member of the Hart Foundation and being introduced as a Catch wrestler. 

Edited by Edwin

On 11/10/2019 at 1:39 AM, Edwin said:

Went to the USA Pro show

The show ran loooooong, but it was packed. It started an hour before I got there and it ended at 12 AM. So a 5 hour show. 

A USA Pro show running long makes me really nostalgic. 

23 hours ago, Edwin said:

Fatu coming out for the match with Maff was cool, but the match sucked. That botched superkick was horrible.

Forgot to mention, Stephan Bonnar vs. Gorilla Blanco was atrocious. I legit laughed when Gorilla Blanco came out with Teddy Hart and Deon James acting as if he's a member of the Hart Foundation and being introduced as a Catch wrestler. 

Yeah fatu vs maff wasn't great but I'm glad it happened now that maff is in roh and done with usa pro.  That Blanco match was rough. You should have seen him vs Manny Fernandez about a year ago.

IPW UK announced that they will stop running shows at the end of the year (but that the brand isn't going away - whatever that means)

And CWF Mid-Atlantic has cancelled all their schedule live events

• Sad 1