DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On 10/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, AxB said:

Well, that's a motherfucker of a booking if ever I saw one. Brookes and Gresham both had to cancel, and they replace it with this. Also the show is in Manchester now, not Liverpool. So actually easier to get to. Venue right close to the train station.

I'm not a big Jordan Devlin guy, but am a huge Thatcher guy. This should be fun live regardless.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Damn wrong thread.  So I will replace with this

Is Jinny Havoc a new thing because me likely a ton 

Beautiful. Perfect for PROGRESS and a perfect way to rebuild Jinny.

Have been catching on the wXw World Tag Team Festival events and I'll say Leyla Hirsch is about to become a big female indy name. She's a CZW Academy trainee with a legit amateur wrestling background. She did a tour of Germany working for wXw and training at their academy and she looked fantastic for so little experience. She's still relatively green, but she's been coming along nicely. If the WWE does proceed with the Mae Young Classic next year, I can see her getting an invite.

11 hours ago, Edwin said:

Have been catching on the wXw World Tag Team Festival events and I'll say Leyla Hirsch is about to become a big female indy name. She's a CZW Academy trainee with a legit amateur wrestling background. She did a tour of Germany working for wXw and training at their academy and she looked fantastic for so little experience. She's still relatively green, but she's been coming along nicely. If the WWE does proceed with the Mae Young Classic next year, I can see her getting an invite.

Completely agree on Hirsch. She has been wrestling all over and has a lot of potential. She gets more polish and refines her style a bit she could be lights out.

Am halfway through AMBITION from the wXw WTTF events from last week.

Caught the highly praised Anti-Fun Police vs. Jay AA match and yeah, if you're a big "pro-wres is serious biz" fan, than I'd recommend you highly avoid it as it's straight up silliness from start to finish. I personally don't mind the silliness, so I was entertained by it. ?‍♂️

The big Gunns vs. Thatcher title match was fantastic. The prematch hype video was perfect as it detailed Thatcher's 2 year journey leading up to this moment and then the match had some dramatic moments where it made you think diversity would finally get Thatcher and he'd break before he eventually pulls it off. You know you've done a good job when you can evoke such an emotional connection that there's even fans crying along with Thatcher. Incredible moment.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Man, I REALLY want to know what it was that set him off.

It might not be that hard to figure out. He posted his retirement tweet on January 27th of this year, and he says it was prompted by something he saw the night before, that he then watched on Youtube a bunch of times immediately after. So it was almost certainly something on NXT Takeover: Phoenix, which took place on January 26th. But I don't know what he found so upsetting on that show.

My hometown's best indy are doing their biggest show this weekend and they've released this video individually featuring 4 of the 8 participants in the two night tournament, am genuinely curious to get the opinion of those outside the Australian wrestling bubble. I'm flying back home for the shows, am really keen to see how the weekend progresses, PWA is a really fun fed with almost a production line of very talented guys and girls.

Edited by DeadEffect

"I always played the long game and maybe in the short one, maybe in the short one, maybe it didn't go so well for me. Some how I got success in spite of myself, but at the end of the day, if you stick to your guns, you play the long game, good things do happen."

"LIFE IS FULL OF PEAKS AND VALLEYS!"

God, I love Tim.

On July 23, 2019 at 8:51 PM, Tim Evans said:

The Scenic City Intervational is next Friday and saturday in Chattanooga. The field this year is pretty good mix of local guys and bigger names:

Reveal hidden contents

B-Boy

JD Drake

Anthony Henry

Slim J

Tony deppen

Marko Stunt

Jaden Newman

O'shay Edwards

Nick Iggy

Daniel Makabe

AC Mack

Matt Tremont

Kevin Ku

Brett Ison

Billy Buck

Plus an appearance by Mike Quackenbush. For the first time this year, all the shows will be streamed live on IWTV. It should be a good weekend of shows.

Finally getting around checking out the SCI and I just had to pimp the 1st round match between Daniel Makabe and Tony Deppen. They just killed it. 

• Like 2

They have to be doing the double turn, right? Sooner or later, OTT aren't going to be able to get dates for Devlin anymore, so they're making Starr the new Ace, right?

6 hours ago, AxB said:

They have to be doing the double turn, right? Sooner or later, OTT aren't going to be able to get dates for Devlin anymore, so they're making Starr the new Ace, right?

It sure feels that way and the fans were not happy with Devlin costing Starr his long awaited win against WALTER at WresteRama 3. 

Devlin is a bit boring in a sense that he doesn't really have much going. He is top guy because he is top guy and he does top guy stuff. I watched OTT here and there and it never really hooked me in a sense of "whats next for Devlin?". Starr I feel like has way more potential to generate interesting stories + his promo delivery and their production looks like they were made for each other.

• Like 1

Better see Jake Atlas in your local VFW or HS gym while you can. 

http://socaluncensored.com/2019/10/20/jake-atlas-signs-with-wwe/

I'll make goddamn sure I get to APW to see him before he finishes up. I wonder who will end up taking the belt from him? Fatu or Cobb are the last two champs, but both seem like they maybe won't be around much anymore because of their other engagements.

These days I very much have mixed feelings when indy guys I like sign with WWE. Happy for them to get a contract, but bummed that I will no longer get to see them work in an indy environment or at all considering I rarely watch WWE anymore. Selfish I know, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2019 at 3:48 AM, quackhell said:

These days I very much have mixed feelings when indy guys I like sign with WWE. Happy for them to get a contract, but bummed that I will no longer get to see them work in an indy environment or at all considering I rarely watch WWE anymore. Selfish I know, but it is what it is.

I share the same exact feelings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Bought TPI 2019. TPI 2004 helped really get me into indie wrestling and I am a sucker for tournaments. Last year was pretty meh but I enjoyed myself. 

That looks like such a sad tournament on paper.