DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I like Big Dave and I'm far from so many of the posters who take every opportunity to dump on him but his PWG bias is out of control now. I don't even know if I'm going to bother with BOLA. I think the thing that I remember most from last year's was that hilariously awful PCO/Brody King match. I like most everybody in this year's tournament but ugh. Hate where it's at. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, Oyaji said:

I like Big Dave and I'm far from so many of the posters who take every opportunity to dump on him but his PWG bias is out of control now. I don't even know if I'm going to bother with BOLA. I think the thing that I remember most from last year's was that hilariously awful PCO/Brody King match. I like most everybody in this year's tournament but ugh. Hate where it's at. 

Is it a PWG bias or is it that all Dave sees is PWG? Dude has to cover the entire pro wrestling industry every week. It's quite possible the hard working guy with a family doesn't have the time to watch weekly Beyond or every Big Japan show or even Impact which is seen by a couple thousand folks on twitter. He seems to prioritize watching the relevant promotions & when it comes to US indies he attends PWG live since it's one show every couple months in a location close to him. So yeah... he's gonna have a lot of say about PWG & discuss all the great wrestling he sees there. It's not bias, it's just frame of reference. When he manages to get away to attend a big wrestling weekend he covers other stuff (see: AAW in Chicago or the WrestleCon/Bloodsport shows in New York) and often raves about what he sees.

As for the person who made a crack about PWG being stuck in 2008... how many other indies that existed in 2008 are still around running in the black? You can argue until you are blue in the face about why PWG should switch to streaming but the fact remains PWG continues to make money using the model they've stuck with all these years. If they switched & things went south, not only would there be no going back but how many of the folks who bitched about no streaming would be there to support the company? They'd just move onto the next group which is why so many indies over the years died out.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I bought a PWG three (I think) disc comp set from Best Buy a decade ago and I guarantee I never finished it

EDIT: Checked and yes it is three discs and NINE HOURS LONG. Fuckin' hell...

I don't even understand the point here? It was a series of comps featuring the best stuff over many years. 9 hours actually seems like too little, hence why there were 3 volumes of 3 disc sets. If you watch RAW, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK & 205 Live weekly you are consuming 9 hours of WWE programming ***on a weekly basis***. I'd saying fuckin' hell to that... LOL

And yes if PWG switched to streaming the rules would change but stuff like that just goes over the head of the folks who just say they want convenience but in reality they just want the shows up on torrents faster than waiting a month for the guy who rips it off the DVD to get his order.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AxB said:

EFTzoY3XoAAHYwQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Arseholes.

I think this is mainly because Southside are being taken over by RevPro, and WWE doesn't allow them to use NXT UK talent,  largely because they're an NJPW associate (though I'm sure the recent Josh Bodom incident didn't help), probably not helped by RevPro putting Yoshi-Hashi over Pete Dunne in 8 minutes a year or two back. Either that,  or HHH doesn't want his guys losing to dreck Southside book like Alex Gracie 

There's an indy show in Orlando Sunday -- Nerd Street Wrestling.

Tessa Blanchard, Erick Stevens and Fred Yehi will be there so I'm going. It's after 3 so that will be a fun Sunday afternoon after church.

EVOLVE stopped booking Yehi and he's just been flopping around indys for a while. What happened there? Why isn't AEW, IMPACT or MLW after him?

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

EVOLVE stopped booking Yehi and he's just been flopping around indys for a while. What happened there? Why isn't AEW, IMPACT or MLW after him?

Wasn't he in MLW for awhile? Wonder what happened there.

57 minutes ago, Peck said:

Wasn't he in MLW for awhile? Wonder what happened there.

He was booked that one time as a member of Team Filthy, but nothing else.

14 minutes ago, Edwin said:

He was booked that one time as a member of Team Filthy, but nothing else.

Looks like he did 5-6 MLW shows in April-July of 2018(that's what I'm remembering) before disappearing and coming back for a weekend in December 2018. Oddly enough, he's still listed on MLW website.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

EFTzoY3XoAAHYwQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Arseholes.

HERE HE COMES TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAAAYYYY......

Note:  I just felt like saying that phrase to start with.  But while it's cool he's willing to help out I find it interesting that he's willing to help after WWE pulled their talent.  It could be a truly good thing he's aiming to do but this time around feel there's ulterior motives on this one.

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

In any area of the business world, all motives are ulterior ones. 

That is definitely true but in this case the circumstances seem way too convenient considering what's happening next week.  So even if he tried to say it was out of the goodness of his heart my BS detector would still go off.

I recommend getting over judging every single thing AEW does as either evil or good and wanting to paint them as devils or angels. They tried to play nice, or at least said as much, nobody wanted to play with them. They are free to sign up a production company that wasn't under contract. This seems like Cody trying to win some cred bux while doing a nice act. They shouldn't have bragged about their fucking UK deal until all the details are out because right now it's fine but Cody looks like a right jackass saying their deal is better than WWE's and now they're charging money for fans to be able to watch it live. Most everybody involved in AEW is a neophyte at this part of the wrestling industry and they are making rookie mistakes by talking too much in order to hype their shit. Show don't tell. Hopefully they can do that now that their show is going live (lol, mostly?). If they're still making rookie mistakes a year from now, then I will be concerned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Looks like he did 5-6 MLW shows in April-July of 2018(that's what I'm remembering) before disappearing and coming back for a weekend in December 2018. Oddly enough, he's still listed on MLW website.

Battlezone,formerly NWA Battlezone,just announced their next show will have Fred Yehi. Been close to 6 years since Yehi has worked in MS. He worked two or three Pro Wrestling EGO shows.

19 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Southside have just announced MJF is now appearing, so that's pretty cool (also Shawn Spears is booked too)

Ha!  I see what you did there.  But hey, motivations aside that's a nice gesture.  It's just too bad the people that were actually vital to the company aren't able to make it due to wrestling politics.

• Like 1