DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

BC has been crazy. It was up as high as $1.70/litre in some places...or, basically, nearly $7 a gallon. It routinely sits around $1.35 in the Okanagan.

That’s insane!  I filled up for $2.31 per gallon this morning 

BC has a carbon tax on top of the dispute with Alberta, which people will often blame for the high prices but it's really not that big of a deal. It's more rising demand, high fuel emission standards, and more importantly not having enough refineries in the area to meet said demand.

Edit: to get back on track, who on the indies would you like to see make up that 60% of the AEW roster Cody was talking about that has yet to debut?

I'll go with David Starr, Timothy Thatcher, and Chris Dickinson. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, iowanole said:

That’s insane!  I filled up for $2.31 per gallon this morning 

Oh, booooooooooo!!!!

I just remarked to my wife this morning that at $3.25, gas is getting "cheap" again here. We just did a road trip from here to Sandusky, OH and back, and it was pretty crazy seeing how cheap it was in some spots.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

BC has a carbon tax on top of the dispute with Alberta, which people will often blame for the high prices but it's really not that big of a deal. It's more rising demand, high fuel emission standards, and more importantly not having enough refineries in the area to meet said demand.

Edit: to get back on track, who on the indies would you like to see make up that 60% of the AEW roster Cody was talking about that has yet to debut?

The one they announced today was probably my top choice ...

Spoiler

Orange Cassidy

I hope his stuff translates to the larger audience. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Rampage Brown, Tracy Williams and Stone Rockwell. Wait, are we limited to three, or can we have as many as we like? Visage and Bad Bones as well.

• Like 1

What's up with Bad Bones anyway? Wasn't it a bit strange how he suddenly left WXW without any reason? He was so much fun prior to that.

Tracy Williams, while technically good, screams indie guy to me with his frame and forced intensity. Isn't he signed to ROH too?

Rampage would be great though. Really solid big man who could have some good matches with their little guys in the midcard.

• Like 1

Timothy Thatcher maybe the best unsigned talent available. If I was booking a promotion I'd throw a lot of money at that guy.

Seriously, I'm a big fan of the guy. He's turned into one of my favorites ever.

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

I just want AEW's women's division to be really solid, if I'm being super honest. If they get Madison Eagles, even on a part time basis, then they can have all my money.

It really isn't good right now. I agree. That's the biggest thing that needs improving ( ASAP ROCKY STYLE ).

• Like 1

Any online matches to recommend of Rampage Brown, Bad Bones, Visage or Stone Rockwell?  Further, I know and dig David Starr, but anything kicking around on YouTube of his best or better bouts?  I think in part I just really like his aggressive criticism of titan sports and Sinclair broadcasting. 

I don't know if I've seen a Rampage match that would be a 4+ star classic but the guy has good matches with just about everybody. A lot of the better matches of his I've seen are from early days Progress that are on their Demand Progress service. Here he is taking on Ishii in front of a largely dead crowd.

Same thing with Bones/WXW. But here he is wrestling Big Damo/Killian Dain.

Not familiar with Visage or Rockwell though the latter has a great indie gimmick/look:

Image result for Stone Rockwell

AEW should also sign UGG!

(been posted elsewhere but this is a lot of fun despite the shrieking announcer)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Shane said:

I’d love to see the Work Horsemen (J.D. Drake/Anthony Henry) in their tag division. Drake, in particular, has become one of my current favorites. 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My least two favourite wrestlers on the planet. Fat guy who thinks he can do agility spots (but can't) and a skinny dink who does all of the moves (poorly). No intensity or charisma between the two of them either. I will become a full fledged WWE fan if that happens and bail on these motherfuckers like that, deadass. I'm sure they're nice guys™ but I can't stand them in the ring. Their Australian doppelgangers are slightly less offensive but hard pass on them too.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rampage vs David Starr! And Visage is in the Tag Title match (at 1 hr 25 minutes) as well:

The reason I said Visage would be a good pickup was, whilst they (one person; Non-binary) are pretty green, they are a 6'4" 230 lb'er doing a Drag Queen gimmick (that isn't a gimmick). So therefore, whilst they have lot of potential, the one veteran that would really be the ideal mentor would be Dustin Rhodes.

Mil Muertes vs Bad Bones:

Stone Rockwell (not a match):

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan of David Starr until this:

One of the best promos in modern times regardless of your opinion. The emotion put behind that was incredible.

Isn't Starr all about being "independent?" Signing exclusively with anyone would go against that.

Edited by Edwin

7 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Oh, booooooooooo!!!!

I just remarked to my wife this morning that at $3.25, gas is getting "cheap" again here. We just did a road trip from here to Sandusky, OH and back, and it was pretty crazy seeing how cheap it was in some spots.

Damn I was bitching about $2.21 yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

One of the best promos in modern times regardless of your opinion. The emotion put behind that was incredible.

Isn't Starr all about being "independent?" Signing exclusively with anyone would go against that.

And here's the match it lead to:

• Like 2

With all the best talent getting signed up -- my interest in WM weekend next year decreases.

Last thing I want to do next year is have to sit through 5 Jimmy Lloyd matches.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

With all the best talent getting signed up -- my interest in WM weekend next year decreases.

Last thing I want to do next year is have to sit through 5 Jimmy Lloyd matches.

The constant replenishment of talent in this industry is an incredible thing.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The constant replenishment of talent in this industry is an incredible thing.  

No bullshit. I am always amazed by how easily new, ultra-talented people step right into the holes left by national signings. Really great to think about the long-term health of the smaller part of the business when that is the example being put forward.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 8:39 PM, Edwin said:

This is another great one from Starr.