DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Psycho Mike from Smash may be the most awesome gimmick ever. I've been watching their archives on Highspots and I'm just totally losing it watching his matches. If we ever get him vs Yano the world may implode from the sheer awesomeness.

They aired Psycho Mike vs Orange Cassidy a few weeks ago, and it was great.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Anybody know the cards for tomorrow's wXw and Progress shows here in Toronto?  And any recommendations?  I will be attending the wXw show on Friday afternoon, but don't know nor can I find much out about tomorrow's shows.  

WXW show:

Brent Banks vs. Marius Al-Ani vs. Julian Pace vs. CIMA

Yuki Ishikawa vs. Timothy Thatcher

#StrongHearts (T-Hawk & El Lindaman) vs. Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) vs. The Crown (Jurn Simmons & Alexander James)

wXw Women’s Champion Amale vs. NXT UK Champion Toni Storm vs. NWA World Women’s Champion Allysin Kay

wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship: Bobby Gunns (c) vs. Mike “Speedball” Bailey

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. WALTER

Progress show:

Eddie Kingston vs Trent Seven

Jordan Devlin vs Travis Banks

Holidead vs Toni Storm

Chris Brooks & Jordynne Grace vs David Starr & Jody Threat

Aussie Open vs Andy William & Pepper Parks vs The Dark Order

PROGRESS Title Match: Walter vs Paul Robinson

That WXW show is top to bottom very strong.

I really dig Defy booking Pillman Jr vs. Liger (in a six man) before the latter retires. Liger's more than able to do singles matches and excel, so making it a six man is unnecessary even if I like the others involved.

7 hours ago, Dewar said:

WXW show:

Brent Banks vs. Marius Al-Ani vs. Julian Pace vs. CIMA

Yuki Ishikawa vs. Timothy Thatcher

#StrongHearts (T-Hawk & El Lindaman) vs. Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) vs. The Crown (Jurn Simmons & Alexander James)

wXw Women’s Champion Amale vs. NXT UK Champion Toni Storm vs. NWA World Women’s Champion Allysin Kay

wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship: Bobby Gunns (c) vs. Mike “Speedball” Bailey

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. WALTER

Progress show:

Eddie Kingston vs Trent Seven

Jordan Devlin vs Travis Banks

Holidead vs Toni Storm

Chris Brooks & Jordynne Grace vs David Starr & Jody Threat

Aussie Open vs Andy William & Pepper Parks vs The Dark Order

PROGRESS Title Match: Walter vs Paul Robinson

This is the Friday wXw line-up.  Anybody have info on this afternoon's card - listed as wXw Ambition?  

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This is the Friday wXw line-up.  Anybody have info on this afternoon's card - listed as wXw Ambition?  

Superfight: Yuki Ishikawa vs. Tyson Dux

Tournament
WALTER vs. Speedball Mike Bailey
Bobby Gunns vs. Daniel Makabe
Daniel Garcia vs. Marius AL-Ani
Alexander James vs. Timothy Thatcher

Yes, whole tournament happens in one show.  Ambition is a shoot style tournament, though, in case you didn't know. Most matches are only a couple of minutes. That's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

Yeah, I adore the UWF style they try to imitate but it rarely comes off as most guys look like they're just holding back and matches end out of nowhere, when the crowd is not conditioned to accept any submission or strike can end a fight. It's a stupid concept to say that the rest of the shows are fake but this one is less fake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z said:

Yes, whole tournament happens in one show.  Ambition is a shoot style tournament, though, in case you didn't know. Most matches are only a couple of minutes. That's not everyone's cup of tea.

I was always curious about the uwf and battlearts style but saw very little.  That said, and knowing what this is, would you recommend this?  Is the execution strong?  

Thanks for all the info.  Also @Oyaji and @Dewar

Yesterday here in Toronto, WALTER-Sekimoto proved to be capable of living up to the hype.  A nice card from WXW in co-junction with Smash.  Ishikawa-Thatcher put on a nice display of the shoot style mat based action.  The crowd was ready to show their appreciation at each turn.  Strong Hearts-Jurn Simmons/Alexander James-Kyle Fletcher/Mark Davis featured some nice spots and had some moments.  Lindeman continues to impress with his eruptions of power moves.  T-Hawk had a tough time with what looked like a faulty ring/rope set-up.  Ha, saw James in the washroom prior.  Strange seeing what looked like a man wearing shiny underpants and high boots in there. I missed most of the opener, but was nice to see CIMA do a few of his signature spots.  The Women's title match had Lufisto substituting for Toni Storm.  Lufisto looked good, but Kay and Amale struggled in there.  Their early back and forth chop spot on Lufisto was incredibly weak and set a standard throughout. Gunns and Bailey was good.  Bailey's obviously got some athletic gifts.  It'll be nice to see him put it all together some day.  His babyface persona is pretty cartoon, but I see an excellent heel somewhere in there.  Had a tough time reading much of what Gunns is about (and I'd never seen him prior).  But the big take away was obviously the WALTER-Sekimoto match.  Sekimoto is an excellent foil to WALTER - who has to be in the conversation for true top talent in the world right now (that I've seen).  WALTER graciously thanked the crowd following the match, and then burst into an excellent heel rant that led to David Starr making a run in.  Super hot finish.  WALTER-Sekimoto was worth every penny of the $35 spent.

Met some real nice fans at this WXW show.  Really great crowd.  I was hoping to find some folks interested in riding the subway down to the Gardens for ROH, but no takers (a commonality was the lack of a great card for the price), ha!  When I got down to Church and Carlton, hoping to find some reasonably priced seats, I was informed of the $58 GA price!  So I passed on that.  I was on my way home, coming out of a grocery store in Kensington Market, when I bumped into Harry Smith and his manager (who's name escapes me; real nice guy).  He was meeting up with Ishikawa at my favorite local Korean restaurant called Ka Chi (take note if you're ever in the Market).  The GPS was sending them on a loop so I walked them over, whilst having a real nice conversation with both.  Harry had lots of interesting things to say and seemed like a real sweet and humble guy.  He was excited about his cousin Natty's big Summer Slam bout.  Anyway, a fun evening.

Now I'm hearing NXT tickets are 7$, so I might sneak over after work for the last 2 hours and make a real Weekend Parade of Champions.     

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

@Dewar I did not. Duggan and I don't see eye to eye on things. Thrash Wrestling brought him in as they run Penticton.

As with any locker room, I am polite and cordial to everyone and I never START any shit; to be fair, any wrestler that talks shit on the internet (publicly or privately, and I've dealt with both), never wants to talk shit in person. Joey Janella recently found out the consequences of that, didn't he? Not that I'm suggesting Duggan has buried me publicly. We had an argument and it's pretty much over, methinks.

Duggan and I shook hands and he focused on his match and I focused on mine. I was initially not happy when he was booked to win the Thrash Title, while wearing his CWE shirt as I found it super disrespectful. I get the "invasion" angles but they are played the fuck out and on this level it's just a way to shit-talk a company and leads to nothing but legit heat and headaches. About three years ago, guys from an Alberta promotion booked themselves to lay out half the Thrash locker-room at a show in Vernon, and called the whole promotion garbage while telling the fans to not show up to anymore shows unless they booked the same Albertans shit-talking the company...and then they stood there and expected their POs from the promoter they just slandered. But I digress... 

The title change was, without question, one of the best matches I've seen live in years. I mentor Cope, and he's coming along amazing this year...and I fucking teared up watching him work this wrestling classic. The kid has amazing hardcore matches (as the Okanagan is still a region where that gets over more than anything), but this was like an AWA-style Bockwinkle-Hennig showdown that was outstanding...from both men. There's very few times in wrestling that a guy gets a chance to become a star with a loss...Foley off the cell, Jeff Hardy's "I'm still standing" against Undertaker, a few others...less and less these days, it seems. But this was one of those nights where a talented kid became a legit fucking star while looking up at the lights.

I waited in gorilla for Duggan to come back and was the first to thank him for putting our kid over like he did. And then I hugged Cope (despite the fact that he's one sweaty MF after he works 20+ minutes), and told him how proud I was of him. I missed the Saturday shows but was told the rematch is even better, and I cannot wait to fucking see it.

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is an awesome story. I knew you didn't have a big opinion of Duggan, which made you booking him seem strange. Which it was, because someone else booked him. ?

Not sure what mileage there is in booking a Manitoba invasion of British Columbia. Unless we are bring mosquitos with us, and forcing you to buy our hydroelectricity!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dewar said:

That is an awesome story. I knew you didn't have a big opinion of Duggan, which made you booking him seem strange. Which it was, because someone else booked him. ?

Not sure what mileage there is in booking a Manitoba invasion of British Columbia. Unless we are bring mosquitos with us, and forcing you to buy our hydroelectricity!

At the end of the day, Canadian gas prices don't facilitate big road trips between provinces unless it's greenhorns looking to hit the road and gain experience. Duggan isn't gonna head to BC unless the gas is paid for, and lords knows I won't cover that much money...and vice-versa, to be honest. I stopped going to Alberta because the drive sucks and I would lose money. At least when I travel down to Abbotsford, I see my friends, ride with my crew, and/or spend time on the road with my girlfriend.

16 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

BC has been crazy. It was up as high as $1.70/litre in some places...or, basically, nearly $7 a gallon. It routinely sits around $1.35 in the Okanagan.

Jesus Christ, why is your gas so high?

Just now, DEAN said:

Jesus Christ, why is your gas so high?

Taxes, baby! Also B.C. and Alberta are in the middle of a big pipeline dispute and gas goes up...even though our fuel isn't even coming out of the pipeline in question. It's all getting pumped into tankers and taken to...China, I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1