DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Super bummed about Quack having to pull out, because I believe he was going to work on Night 2. and it has long been a goal of mine to call one of his matches.

RE: Freight Train, I actually worked with him multiple times. Even did a few spots in the CWF Rumble with him one year. Yes, he is a sweetheart of a guy, and there was never a moment where I felt like he didn't know the score on how things were.  He was just so over the moon to be there. Not for nothing, but he remembered his spots with me better than Amber O'Neal did ?

• Like 3

The first rule of Wrestling is Do Something To Differentiate Yourself. Gunner Miller seems like he based his look and character off the default CAW from Smackdown vs RAW 2006.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember being blown away by the Gunner Miller vs Matt Riddle SCI match that was one of the most fun six-minute matches ever, and then wondering why he fizzled out. 

But from reading between the lines on a lot of posts I am seeing today from others within the Southern indie scene, it sounded like he "bad attituded" himself out of the biz?

Marko Stunt ain't going to be world champion or a main eventer, but will probably end up filling a fun "featured player" role. Though honestly I think there's potential for money in him turning heel and being a bratty little shithead. This past weekends ICW New York show he cut a damn confident heel promo on the crowd saying he is from Mississippi and how much New York and New Jersey stink...which was then undone by him apologizing after the match saying he said that to bait his opponent Danny Demanto into accepting the match. The second part of that was a terrible booking decision, but Marko showed great potential and presence on the mic during the first part to have me look forward to them trying a heel run down the road. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 2:16 PM, odessasteps said:

Some would every everyone in the rasslin business is a little touched. ?

Cool Guys are calling that 'Tic Toc'd nowadays

I've def. found myself randomly reciting the SuperHumman script ,"THIS is for juggalloooos aaand jiggalets...." I also fell down a rabbit hole on his FB page. He's been making similar pain "stunts" for YEARS, but he's found his lane with the more recent wrestling stunts. 

APW is doing Fatu vs Jake Atlas on Friday. Any bay area people going?

• Like 1

I wanted to go and dig into whatever weirdness Shawn Spears v MDOGG20 is going to be, but my wife is out of town camping, so I'm solo with our Boys and I don't feel like dragging them to Daly City and hoping they don't get bored. Hit it up and post a review!

• Like 2

Anybody watching Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory - am I the only one who can't take Daniel Garcia seriously? He's supposed to be this super intense dude but comes off as the kinda guy who punches drywall. Can't stand him.

HOWEVER... dude had a really fucking neat Sharpshooter variation. 

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Anybody watching Beyond Wrestling Uncharted Territory - am I the only one who can't take Daniel Garcia seriously? He's supposed to be this super intense dude but comes off as the kinda guy who punches drywall. Can't stand him.

HOWEVER... dude had a really fucking neat Sharpshooter variation. 

I've liked what I've seen of "Red Death" Daniel Garcia in Smash Wrestling and FLQ (Fédération de Lutte Quebecoise).

I watched most of Americanrana and there was a lot of fun stuff but god damn, Dickinson/Sekimoto was wonderful. Just tons of intensity and sweat, with Dickinson putting in one of the best performances you'll see all year, I think.

• Like 1

Finally watching SCI. Some guys I’m not familiar with who I’ll definitely be scoping out other matches for. Nice to see some faces I haven’t seen in ages, too. 2019 Slim J is a-ok by me. 

Daniel Makabe vs. Tony Deppen was incredible. 

Looking forward to night two. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 2:44 PM, grilledcheese said:

I wanted to go and dig into whatever weirdness Shawn Spears v MDOGG20 is going to be, but my wife is out of town camping, so I'm solo with our Boys and I don't feel like dragging them to Daly City and hoping they don't get bored. Hit it up and post a review!

I didn't go. By the time I finished work they ended online ticket sales. Biggest news coming out of the show is that Atlas beat Fatu and is now the lightweight and universal heavyweight. I'm curious if Fatu has signed. I know he's MLW champ, but I don't remember a big announcement around Fatu signing the way anybody signing (anywhere) is news of the day. 

I am bummed I missed this one; Atlas has been so impressive each show, and I would have liked to witness this match, moment. 

Pat Buck was hired full time by the WWE.

WrestlePro has announced that they will continue to run their normal schedule but as folks noted expect them to have a "closer relationship" with the WWE now

16 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I didn't go. By the time I finished work they ended online ticket sales. Biggest news coming out of the show is that Atlas beat Fatu and is now the lightweight and universal heavyweight. I'm curious if Fatu has signed. I know he's MLW champ, but I don't remember a big announcement around Fatu signing the way anybody signing (anywhere) is news of the day. 

I am bummed I missed this one; Atlas has been so impressive each show, and I would have liked to witness this match, moment. 

I keep figuring that Fatu will end up as a huge deal for someone somewhere, and obviously, MLW thinks the same with the way he is treated there. There was a report back at the start of the year that he was "under contract" with them, but I can't imagine it's any kind of anything beyond not being able to work somewhere that has TV or streams PPV or something, because he still shows up all over the fucking place.

He's on damn near every PWR show, he works APW all the time, I have seen him at EBPW once or twice, plus he does Midwest and Southwest indies, on top of PCW ever so often and random shots in TJ for The Crash. Dude gets around and it shows, because every time I go a few months without seeing him, he's better and better.

Those MLW contracts are a joke. They get tied down for usually multiple years, get paid in hotdogs more or less and can't leave for greener pastures. MJF has been openly highly critical of MLW and their contracts, as he obviously wishes he could just be in AEW full time. The Voices of Wrestling guys have gone into pretty great detail about how they're the shits and the talent resent the fact they signed them. If only they had waited like the matter of months before signing those type of deals, as NXT/AEW went on the great signing binge of 2019 shortly after MLW started doing those deals.

37 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Fuckin A right. I saw that Santo was going to be there and copped my $15 GA ticket right then. I don't really care too much in either direction about Cain, but that's still pretty badass to get to see him. I'm pretty sure that Vinnie Massaro and the PWR dojo is responsible for his training, so I'm sure that he'll get the same kind of shine that we just saw at TripleMania

I wonder if he and Santo will be tagging together?

Lots of times the featured booking is in a singles for the main, in June they did Bárbaro Cavernario and Carístico as a singles match. But with Akiyama last month he was in a 6 man, and when they brought in Liger last year, he tagged with Misterioso against Puma King and Rocky Romero. Really, who gives a fuck? I get to see El Hijo del Santo in a HS gym in the town I grew up in. 

• Like 2

Psycho Mike from Smash may be the most awesome gimmick ever. I've been watching their archives on Highspots and I'm just totally losing it watching his matches. If we ever get him vs Yano the world may implode from the sheer awesomeness.

• Like 1