DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

4 hours ago, The Z said:

Well, at the moment they still have four talents in my opinion, Bandido, Jeff Cobb, Marty Scurll and Mark Haskins.

Of course I expect all of them to be gone sooner rather than later.

ROH is no doubt bland and a middle of the road product, but their talent pool is becoming underrated.  Those 4 you mentioned are certainly talented, but add the Briscoes, the Villains, Gresham, Rush and Dalton Castle to that list.  I don't think they have many duds on the roster.  They just don't seem to be able to present said talents in a compelling way.

I suspect Jeff Cobb, Marty Scrull and Bandido are all AEW bound before year's end.   

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Man is Review of DoN was some of the funniest shit I heard in a long time. I dont agree with everything he said but I feel like he's pretty much got to stick to the gimmick of ripping on the new school. Plus I feel like if he hated the new school so much, he wouldn't be working will MLW. It's not like he dont make valid points

I agree it's very funny, but he kills all of his credibility, and the hilarity, with his irrational and petty hate of Omega and the Bucks.  Not to say either are above criticism, but he doesn't begin said criticism with any sort of objectivity.  

13 hours ago, Ace said:

He's a fucking carny. Part of his gimmick is fake and was exposed by the Bucks years ago. Also when he shat on Lucha Underground without even watching a show, he watched a highlight package instead and faked it.

I'm unaware of this situation with the Bucks. Curious how they exposed him?

47 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

ROH is no doubt bland and a middle of the road product, but their talent pool is becoming underrated.  Those 4 you mentioned are certainly talented, but add the Briscoes, the Villains, Gresham, Rush and Dalton Castle to that list.  I don't think they have many duds on the roster.  They just don't seem to be able to present said talents in a compelling way.

Except their world champion is the biggest dud of all. And Rush has been phoning it in. And Castle seems permanently injured. I get what you're saying, there's more depth there than people give them credit for, but there's a lot of mitigating factors that bring it down a notch.

• Like 1

ROH will either accept the fact that they're a grooming company and rightly focus on scouting for new talent, or they'll cease to exist.  I can't imagine any potential names will stick around when free agency becomes an option. 

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Except their world champion is the biggest dud of all. And Rush has been phoning it in. And Castle seems permanently injured. I get what you're saying, there's more depth there than people give them credit for, but there's a lot of mitigating factors that bring it down a notch.

Again, I think they've got some great talent, but very weak presentation of said talent. Including making Matt Taven the lead man.  That said, I do think Taven is a capable heel and a good hand. Castle's injury problems do not take away from the fact that he's an grade A talent. Rush had a solid match with PJ Black here in Toronto, but I haven't paid enough attention since to really have a discourse.  I think we're actually feeling probably pretty similar about ROH's product.     

11 hours ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, I'm defo done with indy wrestling.

Ive worked with Blay on a bunch of shows in New Brunswick for a bunch of years. He is really good, so dont let the gimmick scare you off. Hes been spreading out from the maritimes this year, a lot of times teaming up with Dylan Davis as Maritimes Most Wanted in Ontario and Quebec.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, Edwin said:

Yeah, I'm defo done with indy wrestling.

Cody Blayde is super talented, but before he was CODY BLAYDE, i.e. every generic indie fucking wrestler, ever.

So kudos for trying something other than "serious wrestler who trained in Alberta" like 90% of Canadian indie workers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Cody Blayde is super talented, but before he was CODY BLAYDE, i.e. every generic indie fucking wrestler, ever.

So kudos for trying something other than "serious wrestler who trained in Alberta" like 90% of Canadian indie workers.

I'm not sure "looks like a famous rapper convicted of sex crimes against a minor" is an improvement over "dollar store Lance Storm".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Orange Cassidy has been announced for BOLA

To catch-up - this is the list so far

• A-Kid
  • Jonathan Gresham
  • Artemis Spencer
  • Darby Allin
  • Mick Moretti
  • Orange Cassidy

On 7/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, RIPPA said:

Orange Cassidy has been announced for BOLA

To catch-up - this is the list so far

• A-Kid
  • Jonathan Gresham
  • Artemis Spencer
  • Darby Allin
  • Mick Moretti
  • Orange Cassidy

Bandido as well.

EDIT: And Caveman Ugg.

Edited by Casey

So this GCW lineup for the 25 Years of Homicide show on Sunday looks like a grand old time. I'll basically go to any show in north Brooklyn schedule permitting but this one could be pretty special:

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Huge opportunity for Orange Cassidy to dazzle in a setting like this to show he isn’t just a comedic talent.

I gathered from a few clips that he had more to offer than his fantastic comedy gimmick, but curious, are there any matches floating online to recommend that showcase his in-ring abilities?

46 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I gathered from a few clips that he had more to offer than his fantastic comedy gimmick, but curious, are there any matches floating online to recommend that showcase his in-ring abilities?

Everybody keeps talking about his match in Beyond against David Starr.  And I would agree with them that is the first one to go to so thankfully it's on Youtube.  And apparently Beyond has more matches showing that side of him.  So that may be one avenue to start with.

• Like 2

My free trial on Independentwrestling.tv is ending soon and I haven't really watched much. That's more an example of how crappy my work schedule has been than a comment on the service. I'm loving the Uncharted Territory shows and am probably keeping the service. I'm very excited to watch this live stream of Americanrana '19. Is it official that Nick Gage is the mystery partner? I absolutely can't wait to see him kill Alvarez. 

Cruising through the promotions and shows did lead me to a random indie that only ran one show: Wicked Hanuman. This was during the time that I watched no wrestling really so I never heard of it. Does anyone here have any details as to who was the promoter or how the show came about? It's got the basic Philly-area talent on it; CZW guys and all that. The show is garbage. There is a match between Crazed and JoJo, neither of whom have Cagematch profiles, that is fun and is something I might throw on a comp disc for personal enjoyment. Test is on the show. Super Leather and Raven stink it up in the main. Low Ki, Sonjay, Ruckus and Sabian under-deliver. Top to bottom, with the exception of the Crazed/JoJo match, it's just the shits and I really wonder how it came to be. I found a post where an expert in Hindu religion complains about it. Danny Havoc's old website mentions it. A random blog reviews it. That's all the info out there. So yeah, can anyone help me out here? It's not important or a lost piece of history. It's just a really odd indie show that my overly tired brain has latched onto as a source of curiosity.

I'm also going to be checking out the recently pushed Orange Cassidy matches. He is someone whose gimmick infuriates me.  I know it's not rational and it approaches Cornette territory but I can't help it. I'd love to have my mind changed though.