DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was a little ... perturbed ... when they didn't announce Fenix wasn't showing up until after the card had started. I was looking forward to getting something signed and a photo with the Lucha Bros, and I almost never buy merchandise at a show, and very rarely get a photo with anyone. Didn't even care a few matches in because the entire show was great with a great atmosphere—one of the best in the AIW's history. 

After hearing the podcast, what a sh*t move by Fenix. As they mentioned in the podcast—Fenix is "untouchable"—bitching about it won't have any effect as he's already got a contract and likely won't need the independents to make a living. I guess he'd rather spend time in Mexico than fulfill an advertised commitment. 

I'm guessing the promotor is out the cost of the flight (Sid still owes for the cost of a flight from last year). The worst part is that it was a great opportunity for the Jollyville F*ck Its. Two guys who are highly underrated, never miss a show, and really could have used the exposure. 

14 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

You really can't do a Homicide tribute show without Low-Ki. I am hoping for Homicide vs. Teddy, but Ki vs. Homicide match would be great too

I wouldn't mind Homicide and Ki vs. Teddy and Davey Boy, Jr. or Pillman, Jr.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morganti said:

The fact that Homicide and Quackenbush are both hitting 25 years makes me smile.

Quack is doing a 25 Years, 25 Opponents tour in the next year. He's strongly hinting that Chikara ends "soon", too. Presumably because of his gig at the Performance Center.

• Like 2

Ending Chikara isn't the worst idea. There's not a shortage of places the talent can go work. I loved Quack's longterm storytelling, but the shutdown killed the momentum and it never really recovered. I'd like to see somebody carry on the tradition of a King of Trios tournament.

I love the fact that we can celebrate 25 years of Quack and Homicide without either man being full time retired or dead.

When Quack retires, I will miss his fifty thousand finishers that all have a special name.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ending Chikara isn't the worst idea. There's not a shortage of places the talent can go work. I loved Quack's longterm storytelling, but the shutdown killed the momentum and it never really recovered. I'd like to see somebody carry on the tradition of a King of Trios tournament.

It would rule if you farmed it out across different promotions. Sort of like roller derby, where you have different cities/leagues host the qualifiers, regionals and finally the championships.

• Like 2

So apparently GCW had a unplanned show on Freemont Street last night.  Clips of Nick Gage vs Jimmy Lloyd killing each other with light tubes.  Teddy Hart and Joey Janela was there as well.  The setup is really good so maybe it wasn't as impromptu as we think but the fact you get what looks to be about 200 on a show that begins around 12:30 Vegas time tells you how hot this company is

Edit:  Apparently there was a show advertised that night under "Fight Capitol Pro Wrestling" .  So that explains why the set up looked great.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

pretty stoked  going to see Chikara live this afternoon  followed by IWC in the same venue tonight.  The only downside (besides missing AEW live)  is that literally 10 mins down the street from Chikara/IWC will be an all ladies show featuring Hollidead, Raylynn, Lady Frost, Sam Laterna, and some other great talent running the same time as IWC.    Regardless it should be a fun night!

• Like 2

Jon Moxley announced bookings that aren't AEW or New Japan

These are all Northeast Wrestling 

June 14 vs. Darby Allin

August 16 vs.. Pentagon Jr

He also supposedly is booked for their June 15, August 17 and August 18 shows

• Like 2

I am very excited for the Darby match. It'll be interesting to see how Pentagon works with him though I haven't loved a Pentagon singles match in a long time and that hurts my soul. ?

• Like 1

I thought Petey Williams had retired a long time ago? Is he wrestling again or is this just a one-off?

Huh, nevermind, looks like he's been wrestling consistently for the last several years. For some reason I thought he'd stopped a while back.

Edited by HumanChessgame

33 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought Petey Williams had retired a long time ago? Is he wrestling again or is this just a one-off?

Huh, nevermind, looks like he's been wrestling consistently for the last several years. For some reason I thought he'd stopped a while back.

He did retire in mid 2014, but returned 3 years later in 2017. Started working Impact again around when Scott D'Amore went back and has remained active since then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Where do these shows stream again? I’m curious about watching my first KoT’s in years.

Chikara has it's own service - https://chikarapro.com/chikaratopia-subscriptions

All the shows the last few months have been going up on IW TV too.

Word of warning though - last year's King of Trios did not stream live so the same might happen again this year.

• Thanks 1