DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

So apparently MLW is going to sign Austin Aries soon.  I guess the logic is if they can keep Teddy Hart and Low Ki from being well the old Teddy Hart and Low Ki then Aries should be no problem at all.   It will be interesting to see how this train doesn't fall off track

“Good lord Court, what is happening in there?”

”It’s Teddy, Ki, Cornette and Aries”

“Your telling me that Teddy Hart, Low Ki, Jim Cornette and Austin Aries are all behaving, acting professionally and contributing to the show and this is entirely localized within your locker room? .... May I see it?”

”...No”

They might as well sign Del Rio to complete the set!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brisco said:

I have started watching CZW from the beginning and holy shit the production quality is terrible. The PA system is atrocious but six shows in we finally have a graphic introducing the wrestlers and a play by play man to translate the promos. While the action is passable, the booking is Russo level at times. No surprise, the best match (by far) from the first six shows involves Mike Quackenbush. I hope the quality improves sooner than later.

EDIT: I am unsure if this thread is for all Indie wrestling or just for the 2019 product

I think its mainly for the 2019 product but I won't complain if you talk it here. I'm curious to read your thoughts when you get to 01 or 02 when they move to the old ECW arena and I think they let SMV do the production and eventual booking. 

I am a little surprised no one mentioned it yet but Killer Kross and Impact are fussing and feuding.

Basically Kross wants out of his deal because Impact wont give him more money. Impact said no chance.

Mike Johnson at PW Insider reported that Killer Kross has asked for his release from Impact. There is considerable interest outside Impact in Kross. Johnson reported Kross asked for six figures to stay but was turned down. The report said Impact offered him a new contract for three-years for less than six figures, giving him a guarantee instead of a per date contract. Kross turned down the offer and asked for his release. The company turned down the request noting he's under contract for several more years.

So, latest MLW. Fenix vs Air Wolf, it was nice to see Fenix starting a match in first gear and gradually escalating things. Last few times I've seen him he's been in "Jam it in fourth and floor it" mode. I was expecting Fatu vs Hughes to go quite a lot longer than it did... I mean, I can see Hughes having shit for cardio at his size, but for an unbeaten guy, pretty too quick. Dominguez vs Idol, that was perfectly fine wrestling. Finish seemed a bit scrappy, but I liked it. Why you should do explosive kickouts - just raising a shoulder without breaking away means they can re-apply the cover easily (and better). Gringo Loco vs Hammerstone, total style clash but they gelled surprisingly well. Another all round good show.

• Like 2

I finally gave Fusion a shot last night and that was a pretty darn fine episode to watch.  Will watch last week's episode but this is pretty much going to be my new Monday night tradition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I finally gave Fusion a shot last night and that was a pretty darn fine episode to watch.  Will watch last week's episode but this is pretty much going to be my new Monday night tradition.

ROH's one hour show can be pretty hit or miss, but MLW's has been consistently good every week. Last night, I watched MLW, ROH, and finished night 1 of the BOSJ instead of bothering with Raw. From the spoilers, I made the right call.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I will put up my usual MLW full recap post tomorrow after lunch even though AxB kinda beat me to the punch.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The show flows so much better now than it did before. The only thing I can’t stand are Sami’s matches. Also not a fan of Low-Ki not being the top heel champ anymore. He was doing very well in that role until they moved it to Lawler.

Based on the stuff with Selena recently, it seems like Low Ki is turning face in the not too distant future (lala la). Maybe not a full face turn, but being less heelish than he has been. I could see Low Ki joining the uneasy alliance with Mancer and Sami against Promociones Dorado.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:37 AM, John Austin said:

I think its mainly for the 2019 product but I won't complain if you talk it here. I'm curious to read your thoughts when you get to 01 or 02 when they move to the old ECW arena and I think they let SMV do the production and eventual booking. 

CZW 2019 hasn't done much for me honestly...17/18 had some really good stuff that went under the radar, but it feels a little directionless now. That's very much due to losing so many guys they had built around and a lot of start stop pushing. What are the opinions on Jordan Oliver around here?

Edited by madsplash

9 hours ago, madsplash said:

CZW 2019 hasn't done much for me honestly...17/18 had some really good stuff that went under the radar, but it feels a little directionless now. That's very much due to losing so many guys they had built around and a lot of start stop pushing. What are the opinions on Jordan Oliver around here?

From what little I've seen, I like him. He reminds me of Jack Evans and I'm a big fan of the man, the myth, the legend; Jack Evans from the heavens.

The first Best of the Best in 2001 is probably the best starting point if you want to go all the way through CZW. I followed them really closely until 09 or so then lost interest. Around 2014 it started to pick back up and the past few years have had some good stuff, but madsplash was right in his assessment of them losing a lot of regulars and not having anything that really stands out as of late.

I didn't like Jordan Oliver at first as he doesn't have much of a physique and his getup looks incredibly backyardish. However, over the last few months he's started to grow on me as his matches have actually been pretty entertaining and not just a bunch of sloppy spots, though maybe that's part of his gimmick in being someone who doesn't look like much but is capable of going. He's only 19 and apparently has a pretty solid high school wrestling background so it will be interesting to see what he develops into over the next couple of years.

• Like 3

When I look at Jordan Oliver I get the same vibe that I did for Slim J when he first started in Wildside.   Seemed extremely out of place in looks and work but got better and better and was one of the more popular people in the companies history.   The only thing about Oliver that bothers me is that his entourage in CZW is about 5 - 10 deep and looks to be full of people under 18.    Not sure if he is a doing some kind of Special K thing or what

Well IPW is trying something new (well not new but different)

Basically going to a rounds system for singles matches and everything will be done by weight classes (with a couple of exceptions - Women's and Tag will remain Open Weight)

I just watched the last MLW episode.  It was interesting and Jacob Fatu seems to be a star in the making.  

A side question:  I haven’t seen a ton of Callahan, but are his promos always so horrible, or was this a one off?  He wears a Death Machine hat, but his promo makes him feel less intimidating than Hornswoggle.

Well, Callihan's a babyface in MLW, and a heel everywhere else (and pretty much a natural heel overall), so the character he's playing doesn't really make sense. He's a far better promo in Impact where he's a top heel with a stable of flunkies.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 2:55 PM, iowanole said:

I just watched the last MLW episode.  It was interesting and Jacob Fatu seems to be a star in the making.  

A side question:  I haven’t seen a ton of Callahan, but are his promos always so horrible, or was this a one off?  He wears a Death Machine hat, but his promo makes him feel less intimidating than Hornswoggle.

I like this one from AAW with Sami and Jessicka Havok. I mostly like Sami's work, but you'll find very split opinions on him around here.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Just now, AxB said:

Well, Callihan's a babyface in MLW, and a heel everywhere else (and pretty much a natural heel overall), so the character he's playing doesn't really make sense. He's a far better promo in Impact where he's a top heel with a stable of flunkies.

I wouldn't say he's a full blown babyface in MLW. He is at the moment feuding with Selena de la Renta and her crew.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, iowanole said:

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, AxB said:

Oh, there was nothing wrong with that promo save that it might be a bit too much related in flavor to the Dem Boyz instant classic promos that the Briscoe Brothers have been cutting for a while now.

In the realm of hellbilly deluxe promos, it isn't even orbiting the realm of Dusty Rhodes "Bull Of The Woods" or Briscoes "Terry Funk Ain't Weared No Kneepads,"  but at least Warner and Callahan are smart enough to play off of the angle built from PD's run-in during their match and like the Briscoes, both Sami and Mance are mixing comedy with their intimidation-style promos..

If Sami is going to start cutting rambling angry redneck promos, here are two templates for him to borrow from..

and 

.Sami hit it out of the park with that " I didn't mind it at first because I like money," line.  That shit cracked me the fuck up!

Edited by J.T.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like this one from AAW with Sami and Jessicka Havok. I mostly like Sami's work, but you'll find very split opnions on him around here.

As much as I love Sami's heel promos, that shit is all about Jessica mother fucking Havok.

• Like 1