DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Having recently dove head first into the world of independent wrestling (thank you streaming services), I highly recommend AR Fox/Bobby Flaco from ACTION Wrestling's (4/26) show on IWTV.

• Like 1

It's smart of MLW to sign them and the documentary from last week made them come across as somebody worth looking into.  Not sure how they are as wrestlers but am interested to see how they do.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Green is how they are as wrestlers

Yeah, that's what I remember them being from the one TNA show they did.  I didn't know how much they've gone around to improve but if they're gonna be with MLW they do have some pretty great talent that can help get them to some at worst decent matches.

Aw man I can't wait to see Park tear up Penta. If it's even a quarter as good as Penta/Vampiro... (who ever thought THAT would be a thing to say, btw?)

EDIT: Shit, I think Park kicking Penta directly in the face at the start might be even better than the tope.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Selina was great the whole episode.

it started campy, it ended campy with the “gift from our sponsors”.

Park v Penta had its bonkers moments.

I liked Daga v Lo Ki but would love to see a longer match continuing this feud.

• Like 1

First episode I’ve watched of MLW in awhile. What’s the consensus on Cornette? I quite enjoyed him honestly. He’ll never be 1980’s Cornette calling squash matches again, but you can still tell he’s never lost the ability to work on camera, or behind a mic.

He's just being Cornette from the 80's, with his jokes from the 80s (and cultural references from much earlier). A lot of guys here really rate him, I'm not really feeling it. But any time Sami Callihan is in the ring it doesn't work, because they're both supposed to be faces, but they legit hate each other and don't hide it at all. They draw attention to it.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Imagine my shock and surprise when I open this link from Reddit and it's GCW promoting a show in my hometown. What the fuck?

I was wondering why they would do this "WOMBAT" thing instead of just running a GCW show.

Best I can figure is that they don't have an audience in the south that will pay NY/Chicago ticket prices, but it looks bad if they give cheaper ticket prices to someplace that's not their home base.  So they run under a different name to allow them to lower prices.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

First episode I’ve watched of MLW in awhile. What’s the consensus on Cornette? I quite enjoyed him honestly. He’ll never be 1980’s Cornette calling squash matches again, but you can still tell he’s never lost the ability to work on camera, or behind a mic.

I’ve enjoyed Cornette having to commentate on things he doesn’t quite get, he tries to make a much sense of things as possible while being entertaining  which is all you can ask for and certainly more than you get in WWE these days.

You can tell he loves Contra Unit (as we all do) as his commentary goes up a notch when those guys come out.

5 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I was wondering why they would do this "WOMBAT" thing instead of just running a GCW show.

Best I can figure is that they don't have an audience in the south that will pay NY/Chicago ticket prices, but it looks bad if they give cheaper ticket prices to someplace that's not their home base.  So they run under a different name to allow them to lower prices.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to why they'd run a show there. There's absolutely no market for wrestling in Tullahoma - the local promotion only draws maybe 50 people per show, maybe 75 if they have a "name" coming in like Robbie E a few years ago.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, Brisco said:

Having recently dove head first into the world of independent wrestling (thank you streaming services), I highly recommend AR Fox/Bobby Flaco from ACTION Wrestling's (4/26) show on IWTV.

I saw that live. It was absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend their show before that, which had Fred Yehi vs Arik Royal in a fall's count anywhere match.

Seen him a few times live with Evolve and yeah, never thought he was doing anything to shorten his career - although I did overhear him talking to some fans about how he's gotta smoke pot every day to help with pain (better than pills by fucking miles).

• Thanks 1

I have started watching CZW from the beginning and holy shit the production quality is terrible. The PA system is atrocious but six shows in we finally have a graphic introducing the wrestlers and a play by play man to translate the promos. While the action is passable, the booking is Russo level at times. No surprise, the best match (by far) from the first six shows involves Mike Quackenbush. I hope the quality improves sooner than later.

EDIT: I am unsure if this thread is for all Indie wrestling or just for the 2019 product

Edited by Brisco
Because...

So apparently MLW is going to sign Austin Aries soon.  I guess the logic is if they can keep Teddy Hart and Low Ki from being well the old Teddy Hart and Low Ki then Aries should be no problem at all.   It will be interesting to see how this train doesn't fall off track

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So apparently MLW is going to sign Austin Aries soon.  I guess the logic is if they can keep Teddy Hart and Low Ki from being well the old Teddy Hart and Low Ki then Aries should be no problem at all.   It will be interesting to see how this train doesn't fall off track

I figure all three will revert to their old bridge burning troublesome ways at some point. If I'm wrong, I'll say so.