DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I haven't watched any PROGRESS since Hello, Wimbley.

Anyone caught up with any must-watch matches and angles?

Planning on catching everything Will and everything with WALTER but wasn't sure what else has been hot. I've been keeping one eye on reviews and it seems that the company has been having a pretty good stretch despite the WWE departures. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He had enough trouble with two Canadian guys named Chris being in the same match. JR in AEW already feels as out of place as Art Donovan at KOTR '94.

JR: What position did this guy play?

• Haha 3

Speaking of where are they now questions, Jimmy Jacobs? Hasn't been on Impact in months and they don't seem to be keeping people they aren't using any more. Is he unannounced AEW?

Last Being The Elite was kind of omnishambles but some fun stuff with Brandi and MJF and they're all clearly enjoying egregiously cursing on the show now as a bit. The show is kind of all over the place with storylines at this point though. Cody cutting a promo on Sammy Guevera was great, though. 

• Like 1

It kind of makes sense that they would lose focus though, because they aren't on the road together any more. The collaborative nature of the skits is out of the window when the people you bounce ideas off of are hundreds of miles away. And the cast of characters being apart has given some of them little or nothing to do. Hangman came back yesterday but he hadn't been on for weeks before that. Joey Janela's side job career experiments stopped ages ago. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it when AEW starts running shows though; Whether it goes back to what it was like when they were RoH, or if it's more like the backstage at All In vlog style.

I think there's some stuff to work with even if it doesn't seem like there is.  Sammy's being established a semi-delusioned vlogger who thinks very highly of himself.  So when Cody tries to bring him down the Earth that bounced off of him and he just focused on Jericho knowing his name.  While Hangman has a match with Pac it seems like there's some unknown that's looking to mess with his Full Gear Challenge.  That could play out down the line.  So while there are filler segments it's not a complete waste of time.

Of course I could be reading too much into this and it's all a bunch of BS to kill time but time will tell.  I do feel with DoN being over a month away while they have time it wouldn't hurt to do more skits for the other matches.

I'm surprised they haven't announced any more matches since the Vegas event. Omega vs Jericho, Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros, Pac vs Page, Cody vs Secret Opponent, the Women's Triangle match, the Battle Royal and... that's it? They haven't even officially said MJF or Jimmy Havoc et al are going to be on the card, let alone who they'll be facing.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm surprised they haven't announced any more matches since the Vegas event. Omega vs Jericho, Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros, Pac vs Page, Cody vs Secret Opponent, the Women's Triangle match, the Battle Royal and... that's it? They haven't even officially said MJF or Jimmy Havoc et al are going to be on the card, let alone who they'll be facing.

I would think Cody's opponent would be MJF, given the angle on BTE. Maybe his opponent will be Marty if his contract is up at the end of this month.

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would think Cody's opponent would be MJF, given the angle on BTE. Maybe his opponent will be Marty if his contract is up at the end of this month.

I’d be really disappointed if it’s MJF from a storytelling POV. The teaser phone call and the match card of Cody’s with his opponent pixilated out all happened well before the MJF vs Cody heat, even still it doesn’t seem like there’s bad blood, yet. I’d give the angle a longer build once their TV deal starts. It’s the best blood feud they’ve got going.

This is pretty great 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

Last Being The Elite was kind of omnishambles but some fun stuff with Brandi and MJF and they're all clearly enjoying egregiously cursing on the show now as a bit. The show is kind of all over the place with storylines at this point though. Cody cutting a promo on Sammy Guevera was great, though. 

Cody is now the best part of the show and I'm okay with that. The look on his face and general demeanor shift with Justin announcing his nickname was golden. And him snapping at Sammy as a reflex for the MJeff stuff too. Brother nailed both of those.

• Like 2