DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

While I agree that hiring JR to do full commentary work is a mistake at this point in time, who's to say that he won't be taking on a role that plays up his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses? Lots of fresh faces for the casual fan to wrap their brains around on their roster, why can't JR do interviews along the lines of the Foley sit down pieces in 96? I feel like that would a tremendous way for them to use him, and get a new audience familiar on some level with the people being paraded in front of them on whatever version of a weekly show ends up being.

"Commentator and senior advisor" was how it was phrased, right? Maybe the advisor part of things is the lion's share of what his work will be, and he only calls an occasional match.

Like Mike Tenay in WCW only occasional matches, or like just main events? Because him just doing mains might be better. Less chance of him getting names wrong, and plus because he's the big name it could help with the big fight feel. Like when TNA would have a different ring announcer for the main event then for the undercard matches.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Like Mike Tenay in WCW only occasional matches, or like just main events? Because him just doing mains might be better. Less chance of him getting names wrong, and plus because he's the big name it could help with the big fight feel. Like when TNA would have a different ring announcer for the main event then for the undercard matches.

My thoughts were just mains, and for the exact reasons you listed. Less chance of fucking up, and it makes things feel more legit because of his aura/big name vibe.

I'm hoping JR's role is to be the man in their ear, producing and feeding them lines and observations. He still has the knack for making matches and wrestlers seem legit, it'd be cool if he could pass some of that on.

• Like 3

Co-sign on all this. Having JR call big matches on major cards is fine. Like, something like the Cody vs Aldis match from All In would have been perfect for him. He can still tell a story; it's just the other stuff. OTOH, Ross is a pretty awful person and is one of the carniest people in wrestling and I assume his idea of what wrestling is is deep down completely different from what this promotion wants. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

OTOH, Ross is a pretty awful person and is one of the carniest people in wrestling

I might regret asking this, but what about Ross makes him an awful person?  And if you're talking about his time as a kid working at the barn I heard that story when he did the live show.

Honestly, just a personal opinion. I think he's actually been a wildly unprofessional commentator for decades who seems pretty bitter about modern wrestling. He's also done the carny stuff where he clearly tries to cater to online fans and tried to paint himself as some sort of rebel in the WWE system who fought to get "his boys" in when I'm pretty sure that deep down his ideal wrestling promotion is 25 Randy Ortons wrestling 25 Mojo Rawleys. 

And, I mean...this guy has been a high level executive in companies for decades and fans view him as some sort of saint. He's not much different than the Pritchards, Russos, Heymans, McMahons, Bischoffs etc. He's as carny as they come.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Fuck that imagine JR when the OWE guys from China start wrestling in AEW

He'll steal a page out of Vince's book and we'll get a whole bunch of "Whattamaneuver", or long stretches of dumbfounded silence

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hagan said:

Honestly, just a personal opinion. I think he's actually been a wildly unprofessional commentator for decades who seems pretty bitter about modern wrestling. He's also done the carny stuff where he clearly tries to cater to online fans and tried to paint himself as some sort of rebel in the WWE system who fought to get "his boys" in when I'm pretty sure that deep down his ideal wrestling promotion is 25 Randy Ortons wrestling 25 Mojo Rawleys. 

And, I mean...this guy has been a high level executive in companies for decades and fans view him as some sort of saint. He's not much different than the Pritchards, Russos, Heymans, McMahons, Bischoffs etc. He's as carny as they come.  

Guest Edwin

YEEEEES!

If he's returning, gimmie Erick Stevens vs. Necro Butcher and Chris Dickinson to start things off.

Guest Edwin

For those of you who follow indy wrestling closer than I do --

What happened with all the Catch Point guys leaving EVOLVE? First Fred Yehi left, then Doom Patrol, Hot Sauce and Stokley left once they wrapped up their angles and dropped their titles. I know Yehi left on his own. Hot Sauce signed with ROH and Stokley signed with WWE. Doom Patrol dropped the titles to the Street Profits and haven't been booked since.

I noticed Yehi was only booked on one WM weekend card, Dickinson was booked quite a bit and Jaka wasn't booked anywhere that I know of. Given how talented these dudes are, I was thinking someone like MLW, ROH or AEW would try to sign them.

Edit: Also, what happened with Thatcher? He was only booked twice during WM weekend. He wasn't even booked on the wXw show and he has really close ties with them.

Edited by Edwin

On 4/5/2019 at 8:25 PM, Oyaji said:

Can't wait for JR to call Sonny Kiss and Nyla Rose matches (kiss from a rose?!). 

On 4/6/2019 at 12:33 AM, hammerva said:

Fuck that imagine JR when the OWE guys from China start wrestling in AEW

He had enough trouble with two Canadian guys named Chris being in the same match. JR in AEW already feels as out of place as Art Donovan at KOTR '94.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Edit: Also, what happened with Thatcher? He was only booked twice during WM weekend. He wasn't even booked on the wXw show and he has really close ties with them.

Bloodsport happened at the exact same time as wXw, so that was probably just bad luck. As for why he wasn't on any other shows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

For those of you who follow indy wrestling closer than I do --

I noticed Yehi was only booked on one WM weekend card

Fred was on 2 cards.  He had Pizza Party Wrestling on Wed night (vs Daniel Makabe, a must see) that should drop on YouTube any day I'm told

On Thursday he was on the IndependentWrestling.TV show vs AC Mack for the ACTION Wrestling Championship