DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Guest Edwin
7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So I am wondering if he accidentally let slip that they are doing a CWC this year

I guess that would be what they have scheduled for the back-to-back NXT tapings they have on the website?

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Do Jose and Joel still wrestle at all?

Jose last wrestled in 2013 and Joel last wrestled in 2016 from multiple sources, so, your answer is no. I never knew there was a third brother who didn't wrestle very long and also not anymore. Like the lost third Young Buck~! Only, probably even less talented than that one. Maybe not.

Just to have it on record

AEW has officially announced signing Jim Ross for 3 years. He is being billed as Senior Advisor

In their press release it was dubbed "the most lucrative deal in pro wrestling commentary" history and that is making me giggle

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just to have it on record

AEW has officially announced signing Jim Ross for 3 years. He is being billed as Senior Advisor

In their press release it was dubbed "the most lucrative deal in pro wrestling commentary" history and that is making me giggle

tenor.gif?itemid=10775004

That's a lot of money to spend on someone that'll get most of the talent's name wrong.

But then again, they'd have to actually have broadcasts to actually hear him.

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

They have also announced that Justin Roberts is the ring announcer and Alicia Atout is the backstage correspondent

Atout had just been announced as leaving Impact and had worked All In so that isn't a surprise

I probably should just make a separate thread for PROGRESS in the WWE minor league folder but

Kyle O'Reilly was announced for the SSS16 (which goes along with Trevor Lee being previously announced)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ross gets rightfully shit on for his NJPW work, but I imagine he’ll take this job more seriously than he did that glorified moonlighting gig.

Considering his WWE stuff during his last period, including the MYC, wasn't much better, I have to lean toward no.

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

Just seen folks mentioned AEW should pair up Jim Ross with... Joey Styles... Yeah, that seems like a fantastic idea...

?‍♂️

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They have also announced that Justin Roberts is the ring announcer and Alicia Atout is the backstage correspondent

Atout had just been announced as leaving Impact and had worked All In so that isn't a surprise

Figured brandy would get one of those gigs. 

I thought Cornette calling Teddy Hart matches on MLW was up there, but JR having to call a Joey Ryan match might be mind blowingly awesome.

”This Joey Ryan, well, he has an educated package I guess you could say”

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't care about JR being signed, but Excalibur, Alicia Atout and Justin Roberts are good signings. Although I don't know if you could consider Excalibur one, since he still runs/announces for PWG.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Figured brandy would get one of those gigs. 

She did commentary on a match or two on NJPW World last year and was actually really good at it 

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I thought Cornette calling Teddy Hart matches on MLW was up there, but JR having to call a Joey Ryan match might be mind blowingly awesome.

”This Joey Ryan, well, he has an educated package I guess you could say”

I was plesantly surprised with Cornette calling MLW. I actually think he's pretty been awesome. Cornette is still great when he's not doing his "angry old man yells at clouds shtick".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was plesantly surprised with Cornette calling MLW. I actually think he's pretty been awesome. Cornette is still great when he's not doing his "angry old man yells at clouds shtick".

Cornette has been great on MLW, the latest episode he handled Low-Ki perfectly when Ki joined on commentary.

He also explains some of the sillier stuff really well, like Konnan getting shanked or Daga’s ear getting ripped off, felt really old school

• Like 1

I'm not surprised he's good. Even with stuff he doesn't like, Jim takes wrestling too seriously for him to ever bury something on a show he's working on. He knows his job is to get things over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Twitter tweet says he’s not going to be a commentator. 

Looks like Excalibur & Marvez only.

While the Youtube show made it seem like JR would be announcing at this point I'm more than okay with him working with them but not in a full-on commentator role.  Excalibur and Marvez seem like a great pairing and I'm glad to see Justin back to announcing.