DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

21 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Huzzah, glorious Ethan Page!

Thank you for saving the era of the seminar show!

Who cares that it was a tryout show, sold as a tryout show from the beginning, and the people on the show were told flat-out "you won't get paid for this show, but you'll have an opportunity to get eyes on you and get signed by the roster if you impress?

Let's go back to the glorious "wrestling seminars" where we can force hopeful wrestlers to pay 50 bucks for the right to hear a shoot interview from an established name...and while we do this, we'll also sneak in one person we planned to sign already into the seminar and sell it as "they passed the test and got booked for the show" so these marks will keep throwing us 50 bucks a show!

That's what makes this latest thing so weird.  Brandon Kirk was the one that really went off last week that started what we have now.  Brandon Kirk was never advertised for the tryout show and never wrestled on the tryout show.  Given some of the people who did appear I wish he did but that is besides the point.  So either he is talking about a woman that he knows on the night show that day, knew one of the tryout guys and someone didn't understand how it works, or he is just starting shit for some weird reason

Apparently they did not pay some of the women that last show until Wednesday.  A good two days after the shit hit the fan.   Whether they knew that on Saturday they were getting paid later in the week I won't act like I know

I do agree with something that Adam Lash (yeah I know I know) said where Page is basically "punching down" on people in this business.  Now that he has a 2 year TNA contract and I believe some of his indies are being used as glorified TNA house shows it is easy to shit on companies smaller on the food chain.  I am sure if we look at his indie history I bet there is a Chasyn Rance like experience. 

Again it really sucks because you can see from the reactions in the last couple days that the DMV was starving for damn good indie wrestling and not having to drive more than an hour for glorified autograph sessions.   Hopefully companies like Primal Conflict and Flying J steps their game up

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ace said:

Learn from Barry Windham and you too can never reach your full potential in the business!

To be fair, Kendall and Blackjack really fucked over Barry's Widowmaker run. He would have been a guy like Rude; DiBiase; and Perfect, that can easily slide into a world title program.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair, his knee exploding really fucked over Barry's NWA title run. 

ftfy. Although it might have already become the WCW International title by then.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Barry would have been fucked by June '94 anyway, if he had lasted that long, with Hogan and his cronies coming into WCW. 

Fucking bingo. I doubt Barry even stays at the US Title level after Hogan gets there. Although, "Healthy-kneed Barry Windham, US Title gatekeeper" is a fun "what if?"

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Fucking bingo. I doubt Barry even stays at the US Title level after Hogan gets there. Although, "Healthy-kneed Barry Windham, US Title gatekeeper" is a fun "what if?"

Double what if: if Barry had stuck around as the Widowmaker in WWE, would he have been primed for a run in WCW once Hogan signed, or as the 8th member of the nWo, or perhaps turning on Flair in WarGames instead of Hennig.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Barry would have been fucked by June '94 anyway, if he had lasted that long, with Hogan and his cronies coming into WCW. 

I think you'd see an ECW run, Imagine Barry instead of Shane Douglas and how much better it would have been.

Definitely would've been better in ring, but I doubt he could've played that character nearly as well.

As far as Windham teaching guys goes, I wonder how much he really can teach. Everything seemed to just come so naturally to him, you know?

On 3/16/2019 at 8:28 AM, hammerva said:

I do agree with something that Adam Lash (yeah I know I know) said where Page is basically "punching down" on people in this business.  Now that he has a 2 year TNA contract and I believe some of his indies are being used as glorified TNA house shows it is easy to shit on companies smaller on the food chain.  I am sure if we look at his indie history I bet there is a Chasyn Rance like experience.

There's a saying, and I'm paraphrasing, that you should never forget who helped you on the way up...as you're gonna need them on the way back down. This is almost never adhered to in the world of professional wrestling: shitty promoters can continue to be shitty because eventually you'll need a booking (even if you know better), and asshole workers will continue to be assholes because eventually the promoters they dicked over will book them again (even if they know better).

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Like 1

Unless it's Randy Savage. I'm trying to think of other wrestlers who were totally blackballed by promoters, but he's the obvious example of a guy who could have drawn money if he came back, but they chose to not make that money instead, because Vince took against him for undivulged reasons. He had that one TNA appearance where he refused to remove his leather jacket all day in the Florida summer. Didn't want anyone to see how small his arms were or something.

Well that makes this even worse.  Ethan Page has never worked in Nova Pro.  Maybe he was supposed to be there and something happen and that started it all.  Hell I can't remember when he has even been in this area.    I mean sure I know he is friends with Colt Cabana and he definitely had a problem with Nova Pro.   But other than that his only fight is feeding his well ego under the disguise of "protecting the business".   

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

Unless it's Randy Savage. I'm trying to think of other wrestlers who were totally blackballed by promoters, but he's the obvious example of a guy who could have drawn money if he came back, but they chose to not make that money instead, because Vince took against him for undivulged reasons. He had that one TNA appearance where he refused to remove his leather jacket all day in the Florida summer. Didn't want anyone to see how small his arms were or something.

Savage was already in poor shape when WCW ended, and ended up in worse shape injuring his neck in Spider-Man.

But then he was jacked to the gills in Spider-Man. Possibly he was thinking Vince would see it and hire him back based on what shape he was in. Which would imply he either didn't know what Vince had against him, or he knew but figured it would be water under the bridge eventually. 

We're never going to actually find out, are we?

MLW Fusion is a must watch this week. Jacob Fatu and Josef Samael nearly started a riot. Think WCW-level of garbage throwing in the ring in a building that probably holds 4,000-5,000 people.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2019 at 5:56 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair, Kendall and Blackjack really fucked over Barry's Widowmaker run. He would have been a guy like Rude; DiBiase; and Perfect, that can easily slide into a world title program.

Possibly, I wish we got to see that Widowmaker gimmick on TV even though without the Mulligans trouble I'm sure Barry would've found a reason to end that run after a PPV or two.

In the new BTE, there's clips of a Young Bucks vs Lucha Brothers match from Mexico City last weekend. Is there a full version of the match online anywhere?

6 hours ago, AxB said:

In the new BTE, there's clips of a Young Bucks vs Lucha Brothers match from Mexico City last weekend. Is there a full version of the match online anywhere?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1