DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

I think HS stopped getting new shows a while back. WXW Now is pretty expensive and the dubbed music all being one song for the entire show is hilarious for a bit but becomes a fucking pain in the ass after a while, HOWEVER, they have all or most of their new shows with English commentary, including many with (ex)DVDVR poster Alan4L. And the wrestling is generally good to great near the top of the card.

wXwNow is €9.99/month, which is somewhere around $11.

It's worth it this month definitely in my opinion, because you get all the shows that happened over 16 Carat weekend. You can just cancel after that.

This is the schedule for march:

NOWRelease_Schedule_2019.03_850.png

If you would subscribe now, you will also get the first two weeks or so of April, which should also include the wXw Wrestlemania weekend show.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:
A few other people are making the same comments about NOVA Pro.

The irony being several of the wrestlers working for their own set of terrible bookers (like a bunch of people who work CZW or have worked for Ian Rotten)

The owner tweeted out his side of the story (some of the folks saying that they didn't get paid knew ahead of time they weren't getting paid and agreed to it (because it was a try out show), some folks were paid late but everyone has been paid now, etc...)

So I am sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle

But it is very much the usual indie guys/owners taking sides and throwing stones at each other from their glass houses (and a lot of hearsay involved too)

As Allen Iverson once said "No One's Squeaky Clean"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Edwin

Powerbomb.TV also removed their wXw content from their streaming service. It seems like wXw wants to keep their content exclusive to their service.

14 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Powerbomb.TV also removed their wXw content from their streaming service. It seems like wXw wants to keep their content exclusive to their service.

Or could be a sign that them airing on the Network is closer to a reality

(Most likely its the former but still)

Allie Kat pulled out of her match against Jordynne Grace on the March 30th NOVA Pro show just stating she won't be on the show or appearing for NOVA Pro for the "foreseeable future"

So there will be some fallout from last night's drama

On a selfish note - that is disappointing since that was the match I was looking forward to the most

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I remember seeing results from one of NOVA Pro's shows that had something like 50 wrestlers on it, but only about 200 people in the crowd, and wondering how on earth they were making payroll. Wonder no longer I suppose.

Now it seems like Sage Phillips and Logan Easton Laroux is gone.  I have to ask but most of these people who are leaving have been on almost every show.  if anyone should know if the issues with wrestlers not getting paid is true it would be them.  At least they should unless they have their head really stuck in the ground.  now they are all leaving.  So either you knew it was bad and didn't really care until Twitter peer pressure got to you or it isn't as bad and you still had Twitter peer pressure get to you.  it is a rather interesting time to suddenly get woke on workers pay

And yes at this point we are going to need a GoFundme for this damn Ohtani vs Gresham match.  

Edited by hammerva

If you've ever worked for someone who tends to be either late or very late with payoffs (nb: I have*) the line between getting paid late and not getting paid at all starts to get really faint and blurry. And if they're telling you they can't pay right now because they aren't taking enough money in, if it's a business you've invested time in, your first instinct is to try to work harder to make it more profitable. It does take a fellow employee doing something dramatic like going on strike or suing the owner for everyone there (usually there's some kind of divide and conquer thing going on, where the workers turn on each other because why's she getting paid promptly and I'm not, it must be her fault) to get their ducks in a row and realise you've been working for free that whole time.

Besides which, it's not necessarily malicious mismanagement that financially turns a business upside down. It can be well intentioned incompetence as well. If your boss is a super nice guy, tries really hard, is being driven to his wit's end, a lot of people don't want to be the arsehole that tells him he can't feed his kids that week because I haven't had my Feb 5th wages yet and it's March 13th already. For example.

* It was a while ago. Things are much better now.

Short version

NOVA Pro is going on hiatus after the 3/30 Brewery show

That show will be a "Fan Appreciation Night"

GCW will be taking over the Mania time slot and will still run Gresham/Ohtani

• Like 1

Huzzah, glorious Ethan Page!

Thank you for saving the era of the seminar show!

Who cares that it was a tryout show, sold as a tryout show from the beginning, and the people on the show were told flat-out "you won't get paid for this show, but you'll have an opportunity to get eyes on you and get signed by the roster if you impress?

Let's go back to the glorious "wrestling seminars" where we can force hopeful wrestlers to pay 50 bucks for the right to hear a shoot interview from an established name...and while we do this, we'll also sneak in one person we planned to sign already into the seminar and sell it as "they passed the test and got booked for the show" so these marks will keep throwing us 50 bucks a show!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Let's go back to the glorious "wrestling seminars" where we can force hopeful wrestlers to pay 50 bucks for the right to hear a shoot interview from an established name...and while we do this, we'll also sneak in one person we planned to sign already into the seminar and sell it as "they passed the test and got booked for the show" so these marks will keep throwing us 50 bucks a show!

Jeff Jarrett tried that in Kelowna during the GFW era...but forgot to tell the kid they were going to sign and he didn't attend the seminar because the cost was $100 and he refused to pay it.

As for @RIPPA's comment about why I put up with it as a promoter...I'm almost done, TBH. Too much hassle for too little reward. I've busted my ass for 16 years in the ring, and over 10 years as a promoter, for minimal thanks...quite the opposite, sometimes. There has to be an end in sight, I'm just not sure exactly when that is. As a performer, I'm already looking at taking the entire summer off. As a promoter, my venue shuts down next week (lease taken over by a grow-op), and I've made no effort to find a new one yet.

Edited by Marty Sugar

I know Mike personally, and have worked a couple of shows for NOVA in the early days(yes, I got paid), and I feel really bad about the whole situation. Nah, he's not a squeaky clean guy, and the whole thing really sucks, but there are just as many people who will tell you that he did right by then as there are that say otherwise.   I just wish the community would focus the same energy on the pedos, abusers, adulterers and Nazis in the business, but I guess that would cost them money to do so, and it's easy to dogpile someone who is already down.

I had hoped that this would make Mike look into righting his wrongs, and build his brand to be better instead of shutting things down. Because that hurts a lot of people, and takes away a pretty popular platform to perform on.

• Like 1

I have found that pretty much everyone in this business has two sides to them. A good chunk of people will swear that a person in the business is great and treats them well...and an equal chunk of people will say that person is the worst fucker they've ever met.

• Like 1