DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

Have they signed him for talent relations, or for commentary? Hopefully he's just office. I mean, if you were to tell a young aspiring wrestler in the late 90s that one day he'd have a match be called by Jim Ross, he'd be happy. But then when you told him Ross would pronounce his name wrong every time he said it, perhaps less pleased. Marty Shurll and all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why hasn't Jim transitioned back over to interviewer by now? Ask a pre-set question or two, still have his face  out there, still giving guys a rub with his presence. He could be the new Mean Gene. I know it's a step back for him, but his commentating has fallen off and does a company built by  young men really need him in the office? It's not like he's gonna say, "Hey, let's get rid of the superkicks" and they'll be "YES SIR, MR. J.R.!"

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

Not sure how reliable Rajah is, but I saw they said JR was getting $1M, if so, there's not way they are just paying him that just for commentary.

If NJPW is any indication, he's no good on commentary anymore.  Couldn't be bothered to do research, mispronounced names or called guys by the wrong names regularly, shit on things he personally didn't like (ENOUGH ABOUT THE FUCKING BARRICADES), and constantly compared current wrestlers to other wrestlers from his own heyday.  If I have to hear about how Hirooki Goto reminds him of Bret Hart one more fucking time...

As far as front office goes, I'd love to see the look on some young wrestler's face when Ross asks him to go out and rough another guy up over some breach of protocol.

Meltzer has stated that AEW's  is promoting "inclusiveness."  I don't see how a guy who idolizes John Wayne would have enlightened views about people who have been bullied, persons of color, the LGBT community, etc.

Edited by Technico Support
typos, wording, assorted bullshit
  • Like 1

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

It's unfair to suggest that idolizing John Wayne makes you a bad person, especially on a message board where people still say "but I still like Benoit's matches."

I don't like Benoit's matches and haven't watched a single one since he killed his family ?

Yes, you are right, that one thing doesn't make Ross a bad person.  That's just one thing in a laundry list of awful things we've seen and heard from Ross that makes me feel like he wouldn't be the best fit for this specific company.  To me, Ross comes off as one of these guys who is really hung up on what makes a "MAN" (I'm trying not to throw out the term "toxic masculinity," lest I be labelled "PC" or a "SJW") and that's not what a company whose deal it that it's "for everyone" and "inclusive" needs.  Ross' views on pretty much everything, from what we've seen and heard from him, don't jive with AEW's brand.

• Like 1

There's no denying his commentary has fallen off, hard. That's a fact to anyone that has ears.

But...wouldn't "inclusivity" branch out to include the old man that Cody and his family  have long respected but maybe he feels has been pushed out to pasture? In Japanese culture, the elderly are often kept on a payroll past the age of retirement/usefulness, so as to ensure they are being kept financially stable. It's a gesture of kindness and respect. Obviously a million fucking dollars is a huge token of respect, but still...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm cool with it if it's just a "gold watch" position.  ?

JR is going to wear a watch up his ass, so the Vietnamese don't confiscate it, then deliver it to the young son of one of his deceased colleagues?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

The mental gymnastics some people go through to call strangers bad people on this board never ceases to amaze me. Liking John Wayne is now part of a laundry list of “awful” things. It’s fucking parody at this point. 

10 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

The mental gymnastics some people go through to call strangers bad people on this board never ceases to amaze me. Liking John Wayne is now part of a laundry list of “awful” things. It’s fucking parody at this point. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-wayne-white-supremacy/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I am quite familiar with that interview.

I like John Wayne, too. Despite the stupid things he said in that interview. That must make me an awful person. On par with Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, and Jim Ross. 

Somehow I think I will get through life ok trying to do my best to make moral and ethical decisions as they come, making mistakes along the way, and survive the condemnation of RasslinFan1998 on the internet. 

Beyond Wrestling is starting a series of shows on Wednesday nights of all goddamn nights... Uncharted Territory. First show's gonna have Masato Tanaka vs David Starr. That's almost worth have a miserable Thursday at work. 

6 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Somehow I think I will get through life ok trying to do my best to make moral and ethical decisions as they come, making mistakes along the way, and survive the condemnation of RasslinFan1998 on the internet. 

Fair enough, but if anyone on this board was built with easy push buttons... 

Actually @The Magnificent 7 it's probably best for everyone if you put me on ignore. You're very easily triggered and I find it hard to resist the temptation.

Spoiler

All Scottish Football is rubbish.

I bet you clicked that spoiler box, and reading what's in there made you angry. I once shouted that phrase as loud as I could on Sauchiehall Street (in my English accent) and most people who heard it laughed. The one guy took exception, I told him it was for a bet and he gave me a thumbs up.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I have never had anyone on ignore and if I started you wouldn’t rate very highly at all as a candidate. 

Sometimes your comedy bits fall flat, but on the whole I’ve always thought you were mostly amusing. 

As for your spoiler, that may be the case, but when that pumpkin Teemu Pukki is tearing up your league, what does that say about your crew’s level?

Nobody asked for this, but here's my Top 10 favorite must-see matches from the past weekend.

16 Carat Gold Night 3 is probably my new favorite wrestling show I've attenended live so far.

Spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler
  1. WALTER vs. David Starr (16 Carat Gold Night 1)
  2. Pentagón Jr, Fénix & Rey Horus vs. Chris Brookes, Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher (16 Carat Gold Night 3)
  3. WALTER vs. Lucky Kid (16 Carat Gold Night 3)
  4. WALTER vs. Fénix (16 Carat Gold Night 2)
  5. Ilja Dragunov vs. Pentagón Jr. (16 Carat Gold Night 2)
  6. Timothy Thatcher vs. Yuki Ishikawa (Ambition 10)
  7. Ilja Dragunov vs. Lucky Kid (16 Carat Gold Night 3)
  8. WALTER & Timothy Thatcher vs. Yuki Ishikawa & Shigehiro Irie (Inner Circle)
  9. Sean Kustom vs. Robbie X vs. Senza Volto (WrestlingKULT #11)
  10. Daisuke Sekimoto, Shigehiro Irie & Yuki Ishikawa vs. Alexander Wolfe, Timothy Thatcher & Veit Müller (16 Carat Gold Night 3)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peck said:

What the hell was up with that Doctor's interview on MLW Fusion TV this week? Some sort of inside joke? That was weird. lol

I actual fell asleep and the weirdness of that interview woke me up. 

Watching this week's Defiant Loaded on youtube Lizzy Styles & Lana Austin make a good tag team. 

JR could have a role in being a counterweight to some of the goofy ideas the Elite have.   My big worry about AEW is that Kenny and the Bucks will get too cute with their ideas and it won't work well.

Also not all conservatives are rotten, horrible people (and this is coming from me) .  We don't even know if JR is one TBH (Even though it's likely).  I mean, Cornette's from the same school and he's a huge liberal.

16 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

First BP Jr. gave a tribute promo to his father's famous ECW rant and now he's mocking the pose in that title belt picture that Shawn Michael's really wishes you'd forget.

Pillman Jr. would probably be my favorite heel right now if there was no such person as Drew McIntyre.

Edited by J.T.