DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On 2/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, J.T. said:

AML is in North Carolina, right?  PQ couldn't possibly be working this as a heel gimmick in a Red State.

Yep , AML is the local indie that does a lot of partnering with Wrestlecade.   Need to book him vs the Progressive Liberal in a deathmatch.  The Liberal does Appalachia and Virginia, AML is more the Triad, so the distance can work.

If he tried running that gimmick at the NJPW show in Charlotte he would have been booed harder than Jay White.

10 minutes ago, alstein said:

Yep , AML is the local indie that does a lot of partnering with Wrestlecade.   Need to book him vs the Progressive Liberal in a deathmatch.  The Liberal does Appalachia and Virginia, AML is more the Triad, so the distance can work.

They could also form a heel tag-team called The Partisans.  Their double team finisher could be The Two-Party Compromise.

"We're reaching across the aisle to each other because our goal is to win the AML tag-titles.."

Every time they lose, they could tease a break-up angle.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

They could also form a heel tag-team called The Partisans.  Their double team finisher could be The Two-Party Compromise.

"We're reaching across the aisle to each other because our goal is to win the AML tag-titles.."

Every time they lose, they could tease a break-up angle.

That's one helluva idea and different than the stereotypical ideas that are going around (Sam Adonis doing it in CMLL, Preston's current thing, etc.)

So MCW has a show Saturday and it features Daniels and Kazarian.  That'll be cool to see and if it's not much to meet them I may do just that.

Oh, and since I quoted you I wanted to bring this to your attention on the chance you're able to attend.  :)

• Like 1

Damn.  I'll be in Willamsburg this weekend supporting my boo's ex-husband as he will be preaching his inaugural sermon on Sunday.

We're trying to be unifiers.  I'd rather be sleeping off the wrasslin' match on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Two interesting bits from MLW's newsletter released today:

•This past Saturday's episode of MLW Fusion shattered records and was MLW's highest rated episode ever.  Thank you for making the switch and tuning in 9pm ET on Saturday nights on beIN SPORTS.  The episode was over double the average viewership for MLW Fusion!

•MLW CEO and founder Court Bauer has been meeting with some interesting parties in Japan. More details in the coming days on what this development may mean.

I'm sure the ratings bump will please @J.T.

Curious as to what company it is Court is meeting with in Japan. Noah, maybe? That could be cool, but Noah's decline in recent years has been rough.

22 hours ago, Edwin said:

I'm sure the ratings bump will please @J.T.

Curious as to what company it is Court is meeting with in Japan. Noah, maybe? That could be cool, but Noah's decline in recent years has been rough.

At some point they dropped hints about who is going to come from Japan to them. People figured it to be Tanaka most likely. So it probably would be logical if it was Zero-1 that they are talking with.

Edit: about viewership increase, I hope it is true, but I'm a bit sceptical about wrestling promoters declaring that they are doing good.

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

At some point they dropped hints about who is going to come from Japan to them. People figured it to be Tanaka most likely. So it probably would be logical if it was Zero-1 that they are talking with.

That makes sense. Tanaka has been working Indys in the US recently, so of course they can book him while he's in states already.

Devlin vs. Starr lived up to the hype and was more or less note perfect until the last two minutes when the melodrama and camera work took priority over the match and keeping the crowd molten hot. Up to that point it had done a masterful job of executing a blood fued match between two best friends, so there was incredible intensity with their crowd brawl and then they killed it in the ring as well. Still a superb fucking match though that you should go out of your way to see. Why did it start the show though? 

Pac/Walter was very good but not great because both guys need to be protected in their booking. So did Ospreay and Pac and even with the bullshit it was a signicantly better match. Pac's finger went literally sideways as in 90 degrees, he popped it back in and then the crowd gave him a standing ovation. Definitely worth a watch but those two or among my favourites right now and I expected more. I think because it wasn't The Featured Match and the finish was a problem held it back and they could come back to this in the future for something bigger and better. It was amazing to see Pac muscle Walter around. 

Went to USA Pro in Orlando tonight. The show was about four hours which is classic Frank Goodman. Highlights included:

Pablo Marquez(yes the same guy from ECW and WWF) vs Manny Fernandez in a Texas Bull Rope match. Awful as expected but i was still entertained. Manny didn't sell one thing and the rope broke a minute into the match

Shane Douglas cut one of his vintage promos on "Dick Flair" and Vince and HBK. Shane looks in good shape for his age and way better than he was in the early 2000s. He even bumped for Chuckles the Clown which shocked me.

The best part of the night was the DVDVR offer match in Dan Maff vs Vordell Walker. The match went all over the armory throwing chairs and bumping on wooden floors. Then the match went insane when Vordell drove a car into the Amory and attempted to run Maff over like that time Eddie Gilbert ran over Lawler. I've never seen Maff live but he was great.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, The Z said:

Quick update since three more names have been announced since then:

• Lucky Kid
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • David Starr

So only one more name left to be announced. Hoping they saved one last major announcement to finish it off, but might as well be a wXw regular.

Amongst German fan-circles the opinions about this line-up seem to be mostly negative, which I don't get at all. Just give me Sekimoto vs. Penta, WALTER vs. Penta, Fenix vs. WALTER, just to name a few. There's an endless amount of potentially great match-ups in there.

They also finished the line-up for Ambition as of today:

• Shigehiro Irie
  • Rico Bushido
  • Laurance Roman
  • Punch-Drunk Istria
  • Veit Müller
  • Chris Ridgeway
  • Danny Jones
  • A-Kid

The usual problems with Ambition notwithstanding, I'm really excited about this line-up as well. Was really hoping Chris Ridgeway would be in this year, so I'm extatic about that. Danny Jones and A-Kid are nice additions as well. Admittedly I've never heard of Istria, since I don't follow the Australian scene, but judging by a few clips I've seen online, he seems to be perfect for this.

Most recent match of Istria, I rate his work very highly.

• Like 1

Not sure what the exact quote or context of the interview is, but that would not be a good look for them after all the rumblings regardless of the spin you put on it and that's all I'll say about that until further details are revealed.

9 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

Most recent match of Istria, I rate his work very highly.

Nice!

They announced the first round matches for Ambition earlier this week:

• Istria vs. Danny Jones
  • Chris Ridgeway vs. A-Kid
  • Rico Bushido vs. Veit Müller
  • Shigehiro Irie vs. Laurance Roman

They also announced the main event for Inner Circle today:

So glad I bought a ticket for all eight shows that weekend!

First round match-ups for 16 Carat Gold will be announced later today.

It depends on what they mean by streaming service. Not all streaming services were created alike.

On the other hand, considering it's Keller, on one level, if Meltz is all over something with passionate enthusiasm, it's kind of Keller's job to be the contradictory doomsayer about that while thing.

• Like 1

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fighting/article226244520.html

That looks to be the interview in question.  Everything's broken down into clips via YouTube, but the last video seems to have the quote Keller mentions, where Cody says "... is it necessary, no.  Is it a powerful thing, absolutely", so take that as you will.

I didn’t watch the interview, but it all depends on what he means by “necessary.” Necessary to be a successful promotion? Of course not. Necessary to be the clear #2 promotion? Probably not. Necessary to be an actually viable competitor to WWE? That’s a different question. It’s still probably not necessary, if it’s Netflix or maybe even Hulu. Anything else though would be questionable.

By the same token, before the YouTube adpocalypse, What Culture pro wrestling was able to run at a profit just off ticket sales and YouTube ad revenue. Before it all got very egotistical and they all left and started rival channels and shit, I mean. Ring of Honour in the beginning was run to break even on the night and then profit from video and DVD. If they regard wrestling as primarily a means to promote their major revenue stream (t-shirts) maybe they will just run shows on yt.

Maybe it's just watching two years worth of BTE in a couple of weeks*,  but it really seems like they're burned out on travelling long distances and doing back to back to backs. Possibly they are considering going with more of a monthly supershow format than a three show weekend 52 weeks a year format. Or not. Speculating. I bet they run a lot more West Coast area shows though.

* They spend a lot of time talking about getting up at 2am for a 17 hour travel day and getting six hours sleep in three days and that.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Ring of Honour in the beginning was run to break even on the night and then profit from video and DVD.

Didn't ROH lose money for years until Joe vs. Kobashi, though?