DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, Ace said:

Kris Wolf says she's retiring after finishing her current tour due to concussion issues.

She just got married recently.  She needs to bounce and enjoy life with her spouse before she breaks her brain.

It's extremely concerning that someone just four years in has to retire due to concussion problems...

EDIT: I don't know her whole situation. We had a talented guy up here that got one concussion and didn't like the idea of any so he quit. I respect that some people just don't want to get hurt at all, so I'm not one to judge...I've had 14 (12 from wrestling), and it was probably a bad idea to keep wrestling five years ago when I got a non-wrestling concussion that was so bad it left me with amnesia. But that's just me...and lots of other dumb fucks who wrestle.

And we keep learning more about concussions and sub-concussive impact and long term effects... If she's having problems, getting out is likely the right call.

It's too bad, she's a decent worker and a fantastic character.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 11:53 PM, The Z said:

The line-up for this year's 16 Carat Gold so far after today's show in London:

1. Rey Horus
  2. Daisuke Sekimoto
  3. Pentagón Jr.
  4. Axel Dieter Jr. (Marcel Barthel)
  5. Chris Brookes
  6. Jurn Simmons
  7. Fénix
  8. Timothy Thatcher
  9. Avalanche
  10. WALTER
  11. Mark Davis
  12. Shigehiro Irie

Four more to go and so many potentially great match-ups already. All this and of course Yuki Ishikawa vs. Thatcher at Ambition.

Quick update since three more names have been announced since then:

• Lucky Kid
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • David Starr

So only one more name left to be announced. Hoping they saved one last major announcement to finish it off, but might as well be a wXw regular.

Amongst German fan-circles the opinions about this line-up seem to be mostly negative, which I don't get at all. Just give me Sekimoto vs. Penta, WALTER vs. Penta, Fenix vs. WALTER, just to name a few. There's an endless amount of potentially great match-ups in there.

They also finished the line-up for Ambition as of today:

• Shigehiro Irie
  • Rico Bushido
  • Laurance Roman
  • Punch-Drunk Istria
  • Veit Müller
  • Chris Ridgeway
  • Danny Jones
  • A-Kid

The usual problems with Ambition notwithstanding, I'm really excited about this line-up as well. Was really hoping Chris Ridgeway would be in this year, so I'm extatic about that. Danny Jones and A-Kid are nice additions as well. Admittedly I've never heard of Istria, since I don't follow the Australian scene, but judging by a few clips I've seen online, he seems to be perfect for this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What night were they on before? Isn't Saturday night the worst for ratings or is it Friday? I mean, neither are great but which one is closer to TV death's door?

They were on Fridays. Saturday nights beIN used to air pre-recorded boxing matches of relatively unknown fighters, so that should tell you what the sentiment should be with them about MLW...

What Edwin said.  Most people are out partying or otherwise enjoying life at that time on a Saturday night. 

That time slot is traditionally the kiss of death for broadcast and syndicated television.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, The Z said:

Quick update since three more names have been announced since then:

• Lucky Kid
  • Ilja Dragunov
  • David Starr

So only one more name left to be announced. Hoping they saved one last major announcement to finish it off, but might as well be a wXw regular.

Amongst German fan-circles the opinions about this line-up seem to be mostly negative, which I don't get at all. Just give me Sekimoto vs. Penta, WALTER vs. Penta, Fenix vs. WALTER, just to name a few. There's an endless amount of potentially great match-ups in there.

They also finished the line-up for Ambition as of today:

• Shigehiro Irie
  • Rico Bushido
  • Laurance Roman
  • Punch-Drunk Istria
  • Veit Müller
  • Chris Ridgeway
  • Danny Jones
  • A-Kid

The usual problems with Ambition notwithstanding, I'm really excited about this line-up as well. Was really hoping Chris Ridgeway would be in this year, so I'm extatic about that. Danny Jones and A-Kid are nice additions as well. Admittedly I've never heard of Istria, since I don't follow the Australian scene, but judging by a few clips I've seen online, he seems to be perfect for this.

Istria is the goods, he's a guy who's flown under the radar for years, even here in Australia. 

• Like 1

Posted this over at Pro Wrestling Only and I feel it would get some discussion on here:

I maybe alone, but I feel Court tried to advance MLW 2.0 too fast.

I mean, I can appreciate his ambition on growing his organization as fast as possible, but I don't think it was an ideal scenario to try and get on TV after having run 5 or so shows in a small night club in Florida.

Once he locked in the TV deal, WWN began pulling some of the bigger names they were booking and their cards began to weaken up.

I feel they should have gone for a subscription based provider like many indys are doing these days which is what they seemed to have been going for early on.

While true, the industry was moving towards this anyway with ROH and AEW now joining WWE in trying to lockdown as much talent as possible. So even if they followed your advice and took it slow, they'd still be in a similar position. I don't see them or Impact around for too much longer. They'll be the first casualties of this shift. 

• Like 1

To me it sounds like RoH inflicted most of the damage to them by signing PCO and Rush and by proxy that removed La Park as well. Brody was also signed, but I think he lost most of his matches in MLW and I doubt if they really cared about him much asides of being big guy to put over other guys. Shane probably would have left either way and it is still not clear, if I'm not mistaken, who is going to sign him.

They still have Lawlor, Low Ki, Lucha Bros, Hart Foundation, Sami + some lucha guys depending on who they can get. And I think thats whats been "the core" of MLW for some time now.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, RIPPA said:

So.... Preston Quinn has started doing a pro-Trump gimmick

I am... conflicted

AML is in North Carolina, right?  PQ couldn't possibly be working this as a heel gimmick in a Red State.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm confident in saying Tajiri still can. Mikey, I'm not so sure about.

I don't know if it's really anything to go by, but Mikey looked surprisingly sharp in his brief appearance in the Clusterfuck match at Janela's Spring Break last year, though he is pretty out of shape. He might do okay in a tag match.

• Like 1