DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well I'll be damned Filthy Tom Lawlor won the MLW title over Low Ki.  By submission even.  Even though he has held the title forever Ki losing period without tons of bullshit is surprising 

Notice that he didn't tap out, but passed out.

• Haha 2

Low Ki dropping the belt to Lawlor was the worst kept secret in pro wrestling.  The finish has been in for some time, but Ki probably gave it the Brody so that he wouldn't have to lose by tap out.

They had the good taste to have Lawlor use a Rear Naked Choke for the victory, so it looked more realistic for Ki to just succumb than it did back in the day when someone would pass out to the pain of a Figure Four leglock.

I have had my knee torqued in BJJ class and the pain makes you super lucid.  Trust me, I would've love to have just shut my brain off, but that shit does not happen.  You could not pass out even if you wanted to, at least not without drugs.

There were nine matches on the card, but only a few matches made it to the live show as it sounds like BeIN only gave MLW the normal hour that they are allotted for their show.

Spoiler

* The Hart Foundation (Harry Smith and Teddy Hart w/ Brian Pillman Jr.) defeated the MLW Tag Team champions Ray Fenix and Pentagon Jr. to win the MLW Tag Team titles via pinfall.
* Ricky Martinez defeated Kotto Brazil via pinfall.
* Jimmy Havoc was announced to be returning to MLW
* MLW announced that their next live show will be on March 2 in Cicero, Illinois.
* Tom Lawlor defeated Low Ki via submission to win the MLW Championship via submission.

The much hyped debut of Mance Warner didn't appear to make it to the broadcast.

I guess...

Spoiler

...the Lucha Bros dropping the MLW tag titles is an indication they are almost done with the company as their AEW contracts will prevent them from working for them?

Also, the Doomsday Destroyer is one of the craziest spots I've ever seen.

Filthy/Ki was really short and odd as they were given about 7 minutes to work so they crammed as much into those 7 minutes as possible.

Spoiler

Yeah, the Hart Foundation's double finish is probably my favourite thing in wrestling and the only time a Canadian destroyer doesn't look 100% contrived. They debuted it a few months back and I was just flipping out at the shit Teddy was pulling off in that match. 

This applies in this thread, too:

Seems the Lucha Bros are done with MLW. It's crazy how thas roster has transformed since it's return. Almost everyone from the first couple of return shows are gone and the talent level has really dropped with everyone signing with NXT, WWN, ROH and AEW now.

The Super 8 this year will have a theme were everyone in it will be a 2nd or 3rd generation wrestler

Announced so far

• Brian Pillman Jr. (son of Brian Pillman)
  • Colby Corino (son of Steve Corino)
  • Ross Von Erich (son of Kevin Von Erich)
  • Marshall Von Erich (son of Kevin Von Erich)
  • Timothy Zbyszko (son of Larry Zbyszko)
  • Lance Anoa'i (son of Sami Anoa'i)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Edwin said:

This applies in this thread, too:

Seems the Lucha Bros are done with MLW. It's crazy how thas roster has transformed since it's return. Almost everyone from the first couple of return shows are gone and the talent level has really dropped with everyone signing with NXT, WWN, ROH and AEW now.

Didn't he just tweet something in the last few months about how they would be working MLW throughout 2019? That was a quick change of plans, eh?

I mean, they still could, who knows what kind of exclusivity clause is in whatever deal they have with AEW.

He tweeted a similar thank you to Low Ki and is talking about a New Era

Lucha Bros definitely signed with AEW but they aren't exclusive

One story I see says they will work all dates that they had confirmed in 2019

On 2/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, Oyaji said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, the Hart Foundation's double finish is probably my favourite thing in wrestling and the only time a Canadian destroyer doesn't look 100% contrived. They debuted it a few months back and I was just flipping out at the shit Teddy was pulling off in that match. 

Is that an every match finish for them? 'Cause that thing is bananas. 

37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Is that an every match finish for them? 'Cause that thing is bananas. 

Dude, they didn't even finish with it when they debuted it. They hit something almost equally as ridiculous and awesome.

10 hours ago, Ace said:

Kris Wolf says she's retiring after finishing her current tour due to concussion issues.

Not sure how long she's been wrestling but it doesn't seem long at all.  That sucks because I always liked what I saw from her.  I heard she is a photographer so hopefully that and whatever else will be fine for her past wrestling.

Kris has had a pretty short and very unlikely career, beginning training at 30, with no real athletic credentials to lean on. And she pretty over in the 4 years after, so that's cool. I know she also just got married, and that has a way of getting people to think longer term; hopefully she's ok and finds a cool thing to do next.

• Like 2

She began training at 30 and got over in 4 or so years?

Kris Wolf Yoga coming up!

Seriously though, I never got her appeal and she seemed below average (inexperience I guess...), but had a personality that connected with that small fan base she was appealing to, so kudos to her and sucks her career was kept short.

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not sure how long she's been wrestling but it doesn't seem long at all.  That sucks because I always liked what I saw from her.  I heard she is a photographer so hopefully that and whatever else will be fine for her past wrestling.

She started in 2014 in Stardom. She was teaching in Japan before that.

• Thanks 2