DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

The Destiny Wrestling show last night was BANANA.

6 way ladder match for the Cash It briefcase was a crazy trainwreck with lots of big spots, featuring ACH, Lee Costa, Ethan Page, Channing Decker, Ryan Wright and Kobe Durst. Great opener won by Channing Decker, who was attacked and put through a table by Ricky Shane Page.

Shotzi Blackheart and KC had a fun match won by Shotzi.

Michael Elgin and Shane Strickland had a freaking war. Lots of bomb throwing, some high flying, and some great near falls. Elgin won after a series of power bombs. 

Tyler Bate faced Aiden Prince after intermission. Tyler is so good, and he made Prince look like a million bucks. He also showed some heel tactics, which I've personally never seen in any of his matches before. Prince actually kicked out of the Tyler Driver 97, but Tyler then put him away with a twisting 450.

The Desi Hit Squad challenged Stone Rockwell and a partner of his choosing. At first, no partner showed up and it became a handicap match filled with comedy spots. As DHS was about to win, the mystery partner came out. Santino Marella! Hot tag, Cobra, 1 2 3. Huge pop and fun moment. Video is posted in the general discussion thread.

The main event was NXT UK and Destiny Champion vs Josh Alexander for the Destiny title. Brutal match with tons of stiff shots, submission and limb work, and some great heeling by Dunne. Dude is so freaking good. I thought the match was almost ended when Alexander got slammed off the top onto the apron and the red stopped counting because he wasn't going to make it back in. Alexander kicked out of the Bitter End and a pedigree. And Dunne was finally put down for the 1 2 3 by a nasty spinning tombstone piledriver. Crazy to see Dunne take the pin, but he did the right thing as it was his last indy booking. Dunne got on the mic after the match and put over Alexander and his time as Destiny champion. 

It was so amazing to see guys who have competed on such huge stages in the past in such an intimate venue. Nobody phoned it in last night. Totally incredible night of pro wres. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

...apparently they're done with CMLL talent.

That's terrible for MLW.

They've lost a lot of talent that signed with WWN/EVOLVE and NXT and now with ROH.

It's only a matter of time before someone picks up Filthy.

43 minutes ago, Edwin said:

That's terrible for MLW.

They've lost a lot of talent that signed with WWN/EVOLVE and NXT and now with ROH.

I remember hearing Lawlor wanted to continue doing MMA, which MLW allows him to. Who knows if he changes his stance if WWE, AEW, ROH, or whomever were to make him the right offer or if he's that set on continuing MMA?

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Build around Teddy and Low Ki, as they already are. Nobody will touch them.

Yeah and outside of that there really ain't much else. ??‍♂️

I've been hoping for them to build the ongoing Teddy/Homicide and co feud as they got Teddy and co and they can use Salina and Low Ki as the leaders recruiting Homicide who's already worked with them and DHS or someone else.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Low Ki, Homicide, and maybe Hernandez vs. The Hart Foundation would be awesome.

They can go 4-on-4 with LAX if they want as they are clearly working with TNA. If not, get Da Hit Squad and get Jack Evans for the Hart Foundation.

Go full blown Jersey All Pro and have Julius Smokes alongside Salina managing Low Ki and the rest.

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

They can go 4-on-4 with LAX if they want as they are clearly working with TNA. If not, get Da Hit Squad and get Jack Evans for the Hart Foundation.

Go full blown Jersey All Pro and have Julius Smokes alongside Salina managing Low Ki and the rest.

I'm all for anything to get more Julius Smokes and Jack Evans.

• Like 1

PWA's most recent show from a little over a week ago. They had some issues with the hard cam so decided to release the show in full for free. PWA was my local indy of choice when I lived in Sydney and even now, i'd say they're the best indy fed in Australia. I'd be curious to hear what people think of this show.

8 hours ago, Edwin said:

That's terrible for MLW.

I wonder what does it mean for DBS. When he signed with MLW they wrote that he'll continue working NJPW, but with how things are going I wonder if he is not on his way out of NJPW. Or whatever he signed with MLW is worthless and at any moment he might become exclusive to RoH in USA.

I like KES, but they did their thing in tag division for years now and NJPW doesn't look interested in booking them as singles guys. Understandable with Lance, but DBS I think is decent. Where I'm going with this is that this is probably one of those rare cases where picking MLW over NJPW might make sense since MLW is probably more likely to invest into him as top singles guy.

I think you're right that MLW would be the right choice for him. If he still wants to work in Japan, their shooting schedule isn't too demanding; either All Japan could book him against their hosses, or NOAH could finally get one. (Seriously, nearly all their main event heavyweights are under six feet tall--he'd look like a monster there.)

I also wonder, on the subject of bridge-burning wrestlers finding a home in MLW, if DBS' twitter spat with Kenny Omega might be another reason this would be a good fit. That is, someone who has openly criticized all of the Elite... stuff... is no threat to go to AEW, and if ROH had really wanted to use him, they could have done so the last few years. So he could use MLW to prove himself as a main event singles act, and MLW could be reasonably secure in booking him in long-term angles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Edwin said:

That's terrible for MLW.

Lawlor doesn't want to wrestle full time.  He wants to work somewhere that will give him the freedom to pursue his MMA gig. 

I don't think any fed other than MLW will offer him that much leeway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Low Ki, Homicide, and maybe Hernandez vs. The Hart Foundation would be awesome.

Promociones Dorado (Low Ki / LA Park / Ricky Martinez) vs. Hart Foundation would be awesome if all of those guys weren't working heel.

19 minutes ago, Peck said:

The Harts get babyface pops anyways in MLW and they(especially Teddy and Pillman) have no issues slapping hands with fans, etc. 

True enough and I could watch Pillman kill guys with his indieriffic finisher all day.

The line-up for this year's 16 Carat Gold so far after today's show in London:

1. Rey Horus
  2. Daisuke Sekimoto
  3. Pentagón Jr.
  4. Axel Dieter Jr. (Marcel Barthel)
  5. Chris Brookes
  6. Jurn Simmons
  7. Fénix
  8. Timothy Thatcher
  9. Avalanche
  10. WALTER
  11. Mark Davis
  12. Shigehiro Irie

Four more to go and so many potentially great match-ups already. All this and of course Yuki Ishikawa vs. Thatcher at Ambition.

• Like 2

Will the NXT guys' matches be aired on WXW Now?

Ambition last year wasn't much fun. Matches were way too short and guys really struggled to mix pro wrestling with the worked shoot stuff though it wasn't all bad. Thatcher and Ishikawa won't have that issue, obviously.