DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Interesting. I don’t remember any local shows when I was at BGSU in the mid 90s. The closest may have been Al Snows stuff down in Lima. 

It's a somewhat recent thing. The earliest I remember was a one off show in Findlay in like 1998. After that there wasn't much until a school opened up in...Fremont?...maybe. That would have been mid-2000s. 

1 hour ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Kinda funny that, with "cara" meaning "face" in Spanish and "noir" meaning "black" in French, with French or Spanish word order the name Cara Noir translates to "black face".  Probably not a name a U.S. indie wrestler would have chosen (or so one would hope).

He could do an Al Jolson gimmick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the Destiny Wrestling card I'm going to on January 20th is shaping up to be a doozy. Pete Dunne vs Josh Alexander, Tyler Bate vs Aiden Prince, Michael Elgin vs Shane Strickland, plus Ethan Page and ACH have also been announced. Really looking forward to a really fun night of pro wres!

• Like 1

?????

Legit MOTYC on paper and an absolute dream match. I'm sure Thatcher is doing cartwheels at the thought of working with Ishikawa as he's stated previously Ishikawa is one of his favorite wrestlers.

I'm currently watching "Psycho" Mike Rollins vs. Kikutaro on Smash Wrestling, and it's worth going out of one's way to see it. I love comedy matches when they're done right.

On a side night, Everytime I Die rhythm guitarist Andy Williams wrestles for Smash. He's a fucking monster, plus he wears a monocle to the ring and has a handlebar mustache that would have made Big Bully Busick proud.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, mattdangerously said:

Booker's coming out of retirement to face his student, the excellent Rex Andrews. Book doesn't treat ROW as a vanity promotion (he's worked one match there in the past six years I've been going), so you know this is a big deal.

And Jacob Fatu just started working there as of the last show, and ye Gods, he is going to be a star. I'd be shocked if he isn't in NXT by this time next year.

If you are so inclined, the iPPV is starting now on Fite.

While Wild Okanagan Wrestling is still struggling to get through 2018 (and earlier), I figured I'd try to keep everyone updated of 2019 at the same time...

THE REMATCH YOU NEED: Braydon "Blonde Bomber" Goss vs. "Top Young Gun" Sean Gaston (January 4, 2019 from Lake City Bowling in Kelowna, BC)

PINFALLS ANYWHERE FOR THE BIG WEST TELEVISION TITLE: Scarlett Black (c) vs. Jade (w/Slave) (Sept. 21, 2018 ... voted the Big West 2018 Match Of The Year)

On 1/13/2019 at 8:44 AM, hammerva said:

Not sure where this should go and probably should get spoilers but last night at CWF Mid Atlantic

EDIT:  Well since it was in NXT discussion no need for spoilers: 

It will be a real bummer if Trevor leaves without losing the title, he has held it so long, and the quest to dethrone him has been such a huge part of the story of CWF fro years now, if he just leaves and vacates it kind of kills the fed. They finally ran Cain vs. Trevor as an unadvertised match on a RGL showcase, and while I liked the match a fair amount, it was basically Trevor dominating Cain and putting him away easily. It would feel a little anti-climactic if he loses the belt after announcing his WWE contract, but would be way worse if he walks into the sunset with it

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

It will be a real bummer if Trevor leaves without losing the title, he has held it so long, and the quest to dethrone him has been such a huge part of the story of CWF fro years now, if he just leaves and vacates it kind of kills the fed. They finally ran Cain vs. Trevor as an unadvertised match on a RGL showcase, and while I liked the match a fair amount, it was basically Trevor dominating Cain and putting him away easily. It would feel a little anti-climactic if he loses the belt after announcing his WWE contract, but would be way worse if he walks into the sunset with it

I believe he's still booked for a show with them next month.

Nagata also fits the bill thou it sounds unlikely. But speaking about unlikely, one of my favourite "never going to happen, but I'd really love it" things is Kojima going back to MLW and having another title run.

But yeah, Tanaka makes most sense and stylistically fits, more or less, what MLW is going for.