DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since I just watched Low-Ki/Konnan from MLW -- what IS up with Konnan's stomach?! 

I know. Was it Species that had the alien head emanating from the stomach? Because that’s all I could think about.

How do these MLW contracts work exactly? DBS's mention that he'll continue working with NJPW, but doesn't mention anything else. Does this mean that he'll be appearing only on MLW and NJPW? Or they didn't bother naming any other companies because who gives a shit?

8 minutes ago, Archibald said:

How do these MLW contracts work exactly? DBS's mention that he'll continue working with NJPW, but doesn't mention anything else. Does this mean that he'll be appearing only on MLW and NJPW? Or they didn't bother naming any other companies because who gives a shit?

From what I know, the MLW contracts give them the liberty to work pretty much anywhere except from the WWN organizations and ROH.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, Peck said:

I know. Was it Species that had the alien head emanating from the stomach? Because that’s all I could think about.

It may have just dawned on me (at least in this respect). Were you thinking of Kuato from Total Recall? I haven't seen Species since I was like 14 in the theater but the Total Recall stomach baby is a definite comparison. 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Now THAT is some shit that looks like whatever poor Konnan has happening

14 hours ago, Big Rob said:

Two British rounds matches from the end of 2018 - both very different, both worth your time.

Big fan of Cara Noir, his work has always been great, even when he was Blackbelt Tom Dawkins. He's now found the character work to go along with it.

• Like 2

Booker's coming out of retirement to face his student, the excellent Rex Andrews. Book doesn't treat ROW as a vanity promotion (he's worked one match there in the past six years I've been going), so you know this is a big deal.

And Jacob Fatu just started working there as of the last show, and ye Gods, he is going to be a star. I'd be shocked if he isn't in NXT by this time next year.

• Like 2

First show of the New Year, took forever to load though as my internet has been dragging the past 2-3 days...

WOW 4.04 ... ORIGINAL AIRDATE: January 3, 2019

** BIG WEST TELEVISION TITLE: Michael More (c) vs. Camaro Cope (March 16, 2018)

** SIX-WAY ELIMINATION: Dragon vs. Deeds vs. Hellion vs. D'Arcy vs. XStatic vs. More (June 16, 2017)

** THRASH TAG TITLES: Cougar Meat (c) vs. Top Quality (March 9, 2018)

• Like 1

Since the 2018 Indy thread got locked, I might as well ask here --

Has anyone watched the last GCW show the Dynasty? I have Gage/Dickinson and PCO/Tanaka lined up to give a watch. Thoughts on those 2 matches? Anything else from the card I need to watch?

Edit: Gage/Dickison wasn't good. I believe Joey Janela was on commentary for the show and for some reason he blurted out Gage was more charismatic than Shawn Michaels... The spot calling and blade jobs were pretty obvious and the match just never came together. The walking to the back to get the doors kind of hurt the flow of the match, too.

PCO/Tanaka wasn't good either. I dug PCO's underdog performance against WALTER from WM weekend, but I'm still waiting for him to put on another quality performance like that one. I've seen the other Riddle match from GCW from the other Joey Janela show, but thought that was pretty average. I'm a big fan of Tanaka and he's still open to taking crazy powerbomb bumps through furniture and unprotected chair shots to the dome which is nuts given he's been doing that for over 20 years now. Aside from the novelty of seeing these 2 face each other in the same ring, there's not much else to dig here.

Somehow I have lived in Toledo for almost two years and didn't know we had multiple indy promotions. I finally checked one out tonight. Northwest Ohio Wrestling. First thing I saw was a guy built like Cheeseburger in the worst looking ring I've ever seen. The show was typical local stuff but the semi-main was actually one of the best live matches I've seen from a local indy. Jason Page vs Dre Jacobs was the match and I'd really like to see Page break out of Toledo and get into bigger indies. The match was stiff and put together really well. Page's selling was great and Jacobs was good as the monster heel (plus his gear looked like Glacier's so that ruled). I know there's at least one poster from the area here so if they see this, have you checked this out yet?

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 10:01 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Somehow I have lived in Toledo for almost two years and didn't know we had multiple indy promotions. I finally checked one out tonight. Northwest Ohio Wrestling. First thing I saw was a guy built like Cheeseburger in the worst looking ring I've ever seen. The show was typical local stuff but the semi-main was actually one of the best live matches I've seen from a local indy. Jason Page vs Dre Jacobs was the match and I'd really like to see Page break out of Toledo and get into bigger indies. The match was stiff and put together really well. Page's selling was great and Jacobs was good as the monster heel (plus his gear looked like Glacier's so that ruled). I know there's at least one poster from the area here so if they see this, have you checked this out yet?

There's also ECW Toledo that is going to start running soon. It won't last long but there are some decent names (Myron Reed, Trey Miguel, Abyss, N8 Mattson, and ... Boz?). 

The big MLW Fusion television taping (Superfight) goes down in Philly on February 2nd.

So far, the card is as follows:

MLW Heavyweight Title:  Low Ki (c) vs. Filthy Tom Lawlor

MLW Tag Team Titles:  Lucha Brothers (c) (Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix) vs. The Hart Foundation (Teddy Hart & Davey Boy Smth Jr. w/ Brian Pillman Jr.)

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, DeadEffect said:

Big fan of Cara Noir, his work has always been great, even when he was Blackbelt Tom Dawkins. He's now found the character work to go along with it.

Yeah, Cara is top drawer, no idea why more promotions in the UK don't use him. He's become a mainstay in HOPE, who are my nearest promotion, and he always knocks it out of the park. Plus he's got maybe the best entrance in wrestling.

11 hours ago, EricG said:

There's also ECW Toledo that is going to start running soon. It won't last long but there are some decent names (Myron Reed, Trey Miguel, Abyss, N8 Mattson, and ... Boz?). 

I actually just saw the Facebook event for this today. It's on my one guaranteed day off too so I'll be checking it out. By my count that makes 4 promotions in Toledo alone and I know that Northwest Ohio in general has a few more. Foley is appearing at one this coming Saturday that I'm considering attending. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I actually just saw the Facebook event for this today. It's on my one guaranteed day off too so I'll be checking it out. By my count that makes 4 promotions in Toledo alone and I know that Northwest Ohio in general has a few more. Foley is appearing at one this coming Saturday that I'm considering attending. 

Interesting. I don’t remember any local shows when I was at BGSU in the mid 90s. The closest may have been Al Snows stuff down in Lima. 

• Like 1