DVDVR Message Board

Shows that ended a season or two too late?

Web Conn

Everybody agrees that people like Tina Fey, Amy Poelher...are hilarious super talented people

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on that one...

So who do you find funny?  I understand not liking their comedy, but I find it a little facetious to deny their talent.  Can you name two women who have been funnier over the last 5-10 years or so?

So, you are saying they are kinda defaulted into the slots of the funniest women? Fey didn't catch on until Sarah Palin came around and Poehler is at least 5 kinds of annoying.

Buh?  Fey had already spent 7 years as head writer of SNL, written Mean Girls, and won two Emmys for 30 Rock by the time Sarah Palin came around.  I'd say she had caught on just fine.

I would have been fine with South Park ending six or so years ago before it just became Matt & Trey "tellin' it like it is."

Everybody agrees that people like Tina Fey, Amy Poelher...are hilarious super talented people

So who do you find funny?  I understand not liking their comedy, but I find it a little facetious to deny their talent.  Can you name two women who have been funnier over the last 5-10 years or so?

So, you are saying they are kinda defaulted into the slots of the funniest women? Fey didn't catch on until Sarah Palin came around and Poehler is at least 5 kinds of annoying.

No, I think they are funny.  Parks and Recreation is my favorite comedy on TV, and Tina Fey has always been funny to me.  I think they are the two funniest women in TV/Movies and being that they were the two singled(doubled?) out of my original statement I asked what women that he found funnier.  Whether or not they are your particular cup of tea is up to you, denying their talent is a completely different matter.

Glee should have called it a day after Season 3.

They'd won Nationals, a lot of them were graduating, and Ryan Murphy is a dipshit with ADHD that can't focus on a project to save his life.  It was the perfect high note, but after that... sweet Jeefus.

(cue some smart-ass comment on how it should have ended after the first few eps of season 2)

Buh?  Fey had already spent 7 years as head writer of SNL, written Mean Girls, and won two Emmys for 30 Rock by the time Sarah Palin came around.  I'd say she had caught on just fine.

I would have been fine with South Park ending six or so years ago before it just became Matt & Trey "tellin' it like it is."

South Park peaked with the movie. After that, it seems like the show became all about Matt & Trey telling the world how much smarter they are than everyone. At least that what I gleaned from the very few episodes I've watched in the last decade or so.

I don't watch reruns too often but of all the years it's been on cable & syndication, I don't ever remember running across a final season of Roseanne episode.  Do they run those still?  Or TPTB realize it was bad & they don't bother running those anymore?

They'd won Nationals, a lot of them were graduating, and Ryan Murphy is a dipshit with ADHD that can't focus on a project to save his life.  It was the perfect high note, but after that... sweet Jeefus.

(cue some smart-ass comment on how it should have ended after the first few eps of season 2)

The show was clearly set up for them to win Nationals.  So you're right in that it should have ended after that.  But between Murphy running good ideas into the ground and FOX wanting to hold on to any show that's remotely decent, and we have what we have today.

Glee should have called it a day after Season 3.They'd won Nationals, a lot of them were graduating, and Ryan Murphy is a dipshit with ADHD that can't focus on a project to save his life. It was the perfect high note, but after that... sweet Jeefus.(cue some smart-ass comment on how it should have ended after the first few eps of season 2)

The show was clearly set up for them to win Nationals. So you're right in that it should have ended after that. But between Murphy running good ideas into the ground and FOX wanting to hold on to any show that's remotely decent, and we have what we have today.
The worst was when they took serious issues and turned them into one-off bits. Texting while driving (Quinn's accident), the Bieste domestic abuse thing, that one girl who passed out on diet pills, and of course what seems like ripping pages out of Outrageous LGBT Stereotypes for Dummies.Though the shooting episode was the last straw for me.

Yeah, Roseanne was an awesome show. Then it went to shit. It's one of the few comedies that handled the tough real life situations very well..

Roseanne, prior to the lottery nonsense, might be the most realistic sitcom ever.  There was little of the screwball nonsense you see in other sitcoms or super-contrived situations.  The characters weren't the typical "bumbling dad" stereotypes.  The characters went through real issues, they were handled in a realistic way, and the people involved weren't perfect.  And it was RIOTOUSLY funny for several years.  Great show.

I still can't believe I hated it when it first aired.

http://youtu.be/o_HfjqdmMS0

"How much damage could he do with only one free hand?" Goddamn. I really need to buy this on DVD. It's next to nothing thanks to Mill Creek too.

I'll see your Season 2 and raise you Season 1. 

Agree how Fox just runs what was once popular into the ground, and takes few chances outside of that (a certain sitcom there that I've mentioned I'm fond of NUMEROUS times says hello...)

And as much as I invoked them in the Roseanne thing, oddly, Ab Fab falls into this category too.  From Last Shout on, it hasn't quite been the same.  Plus I wanted to see someone kill Saffy the way she was portrayed in the 2000s episodes. 

Family Guy probably shouldn't have come back from that forced hiatus.

Has any show been good when it made a comeback?  Maybe we shouldn't piss and moan when something is cancelled?

Futurama?

Though I actually saw next to nothing of its return, so I am making a blind (hopeful) guess.

Has any show been good when it made a comeback?  Maybe we shouldn't piss and moan when something is cancelled?

I don't know if this is a true comeback, but Friday Night Lights was supposed to be cancelled multiple times, but the subsequent seasons were good.  Even after NBC had to share the show with that Directv channel the show was outstanding.

Futurama?

Though I actually saw next to nothing of its return, so I am making a blind (hopeful) guess.

The last season was kinda just there, but I've really enjoyed it since it came back. I would say it isn't as good as pre-cancellation, but I think it's been very good for a resurrected show.

Another was Fresh Prince and I think that also fits this thread. I wouldn't say the final season is "bad" but it does get kind of crappy once Hill gets her television show and Ash becomes a model, etc..

Any show where the main star or stars are teenagers/young adults gets long in the tooth when they basically have to find excuses to keep the parents involved. Their family was rich so why was Ashley working at a fast food joint? Also, why didn't Will get a basketball scholarship? Also, why the fuck did Nicky go from two months old, to 4 years old for that one episode, to another older kid episodes later? Why the hell were Ashley, Carlton, and Hillary three different skin colors? As a black person, that always bothered me. Actually that last one is hilarious considering they switched out Vivians. Anyway, that show was not great for continuity.

No idea why this post caught my attention, but I mean black people can come out looking any kind of way. Phil was light skinned and while Viv was jet black, I could see them having kids that looked that. I look my own brother and I. His skin tone is Carlton tier, I'm pretty close to Hil or Phil's color. If you really want some variance, look at the Cosby show. It was much less believable. Malcolm Jamal Warner and Lisa Bonnet being siblings with Phylicia Rashad and Bill Cosby as their parents? Nah.

• Like 1

Another was Fresh Prince and I think that also fits this thread. I wouldn't say the final season is "bad" but it does get kind of crappy once Hill gets her television show and Ash becomes a model, etc..

Any show where the main star or stars are teenagers/young adults gets long in the tooth when they basically have to find excuses to keep the parents involved. Their family was rich so why was Ashley working at a fast food joint? Also, why didn't Will get a basketball scholarship? Also, why the fuck did Nicky go from two months old, to 4 years old for that one episode, to another older kid episodes later? Why the hell were Ashley, Carlton, and Hillary three different skin colors? As a black person, that always bothered me. Actually that last one is hilarious considering they switched out Vivians. Anyway, that show was not great for continuity.

No idea why this post caught my attention, but I mean black people can come out looking any kind of way. Phil was light skinned and while Viv was jet black, I could see them having kids that looked that. I look my own brother and I. His skin tone is Carlton tier, I'm pretty close to Hil or Phil's color. If you really want some variance, look at the Cosby show. It was much less believable. Malcolm Jamal Warner and Lisa Bonnet being siblings with Phylicia Rashad and Bill Cosby as their parents? Nah.

Uncle Phil wasn't really light skinned.

That last season of TMNT where it was just snarky breaking of the fourth wall the whole time had its moments, and kinda cool throwbacks to past seasons. But otherwise, yeah, odd.

The MWS version, I assume?  Was this also the red-sky era, then?