DVDVR Message Board

Shows that ended a season or two too late?

Web Conn

I've always thought season 5 of oz was really good w the o'reilly brothers stuff and dr. nathan. there was a lot of crap, but damn did dean winters earn his money that season.

• Like 1

I would've been much happier with 'Parks and Recreation' if it was only Seasons 1 and 2, but I'm likely in the minority on that one.

Since season 1 was horrible I'd say so.  I thought season 3 was the best of the series.

How anyone can call a season horrible when it brought us this...

Posted Image

is beyond me!

Ha ha, Andy was a bright spot for sure.  I'll admit I haven't watched the season 1 episodes since they aired.  I just remember the first 5 being pretty bad, with Leslie being more of a Michael Scott well meaning idiot type rather than what her character would become.  I think the season finale was actually pretty good and convinced me to give the second season a chance. 

Yeah, Roseanne was an awesome show. Then it went to shit. It's one of the few comedies that handled the tough real life situations very well..

Roseanne, prior to the lottery nonsense, might be the most realistic sitcom ever.  There was little of the screwball nonsense you see in other sitcoms or super-contrived situations.  The characters weren't the typical "bumbling dad" stereotypes.  The characters went through real issues, they were handled in a realistic way, and the people involved weren't perfect.  And it was RIOTOUSLY funny for several years.  Great show.

I still can't believe I hated it when it first aired.

• Like 1

Yeah, Roseanne was an awesome show. Then it went to shit. It's one of the few comedies that handled the tough real life situations very well..

Roseanne, prior to the lottery nonsense, might be the most realistic sitcom ever.  There was little of the screwball nonsense you see in other sitcoms or super-contrived situations.  The characters weren't the typical "bumbling dad" stereotypes.  The characters went through real issues, they were handled in a realistic way, and the people involved weren't perfect.  And it was RIOTOUSLY funny for several years.  Great show.

I still can't believe I hated it when it first aired.

http://youtu.be/o_HfjqdmMS0

Mea culpa.

Of course, I once tried to break down the *ahem* continuity *ahem* of the Friday the 13th movies, so...

You are, sadly, not alone.

Of course, I gave up when I figured out that II, III, & Final Chapter were supposed to be back-to-back-toback days, but there are others that pressed.

Everybody agrees that people like Tina Fey, Amy Poelher...are hilarious super talented people

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on that one...

So who do you find funny?  I understand not liking their comedy, but I find it a little facetious to deny their talent.  Can you name two women who have been funnier over the last 5-10 years or so?

Happened to be reminded of Blake's 7 tonight for the first time in years.  Anyone remember this?  Late 1970's BBC sf series.  Only ran 4 seasons and still managed to drag on way too long.  The actor playing the main character (Blake) got a better gig after the second season.  Most of the original cast had left by the end of season 3 and the show leaned way hard on Paul Gannon (1 of 2 original characters around for the entire run), who spent seasons 3 and 4 chewing scenery.

Show ended season 3 with a season finale that would have been a fitting end to the series.  Instead, they came back and had one of the great wtf series finales.  The finale was intended to be a cliffhanger that relaunched the show in a new direction.  Instead:

After looking for the title character for two years, they find him. Paul Gannon's character kills Blake over what amounts to a misunderstanding, which makes him look like an ass. Then the rest of the core characters are captured by Blake's girlfriend, who is secretly evil, making Blake look like an idiot. Fade to black.

I don't know that Lost ran too long, but the show lost a lot of steam after Locke "died" and they got off the island.  I don't think getting off the island was a fatal mistake.  The show was powered more by interesting characters than the mysteries of the island, and the show dropped off when they basically ended the Jack/Locke power struggle and the Sawyer/Jack/Kate triangle wore itself out.

Babylon 5 needed the last season to tell the stories it had been setting up since season 1, but I really hated it.  Tracy Scoggins got way too much screen time and the season dragged until the end.

Everybody agrees that people like Tina Fey, Amy Poelher...are hilarious super talented people

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on that one...

So who do you find funny?  I understand not liking their comedy, but I find it a little facetious to deny their talent.  Can you name two women who have been funnier over the last 5-10 years or so?

So, you are saying they are kinda defaulted into the slots of the funniest women? Fey didn't catch on until Sarah Palin came around and Poehler is at least 5 kinds of annoying.