DVDVR Message Board

Shows that ended a season or two too late?

Web Conn

Ren & Stimpy: Noooooooooo Games Animation episodes, please!  And when John K. DID get them back, ick....

Seriously, I think Kricfalusi had some sort of breakdown at some point.  His more recent stuff has just been embarrassing.  Case in point:

Wasn't Roseanne supposed to end with Dan's heart attack?  It would've been a downer, sure, but the actual finale was a downer anyway and that last season was the drizzling shits...except for the ep when Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley appeared.

FTFY.

As far as the Simpsons/SNL question goes...simple.  Name value.  It's like Hulk Hogan, even in the 2000s/2010s someone will trot him out because of the name alone.

Yeah that's a fair comparison because it's both sad and embarrassing now.

Ren & Stimpy: Noooooooooo Games Animation episodes, please!  And when John K. DID get them back, ick....

Seriously, I think Kricfalusi had some sort of breakdown at some point.  His more recent stuff has just been embarrassing.  Case in point:

Eh, well I grew out of his style as I got older. 

How about Animaniacs?  There were still some good bits, but it wasn't the same by the last Fox season, and definitely not the same on The WB.  Since they focused on just 2-3 segments by then, and couldn't use others due to spinoffs or unavailable talent (Rita & Runt were underrated, dammit!), it just felt flat. 

Which reminds me...stop B:TAS at Fox, or do TNBA?  On the other hand, JLU averted this trope by having 2-3 seasons in a row that each had a definitive ending, but then they came back with something bigger and more awesome!

First off, I'll echo the sentiment that The Simpsons and SNL are two of the seminal shows of the 20th century...and they should have stayed in the 20th century, because they've both sucked shit since the 90's.

Other than that, Rescue Me hitting the rewind button on Tommy's character development in season 5 to drag a few more seasons out of him sticks out to me.

SNL is like Mad Magazine, in that it is at its peak at whatever time you discover it, and after that cast turns over, it will never be the same to you, and you will always compare "your cast" to the new guys. 

SNL is a show best watched on DVR... or how a lot of people my age enjoyed it best - as a 1hr show on Comedy Central. 

• Like 2

I actually started watching SNL in 1991-1992 IIRC (either then or the very next season), but I didn't started liking it until the late, late 90s. Maybe it's because I realized Adam Sandler is only tolerable in small doses at an early age.

The Phil Hartman tribute episode should have been the last episode of NewsRadio.  That last season was painful.

Couldn't agree more. That whole season with Jon Lovitz was terrible.

Show was brilliant before that last season, though.

Newsradio without a doubt, gotta agree with That 70s Show as well, Randy can eat a tugboat full of dicks. I'm not sure if I'd throw Oz into the discussion, the finale was awful and the last season in general was some real grasping at straws, I'm not sure where they should have ended it though.

Nip/Tuck lasted much, much longer than it should have. By the end of it's run, it felt even more like a really bad soap opera than usual. All of the redeeming and fun qualities about the show long since disappeared, a lot of the chemistry had lost it's luster.. just a show trying to limp along to it's 100th episode, and then finally call it a day. Talk about your cash-ins.

(insert obvious mention of Dexter here)

• Like 1

I actually started watching SNL in 1991-1992 IIRC (either then or the very next season), but I didn't started liking it until the late, late 90s. Maybe it's because I realized Adam Sandler is only tolerable in small doses at an early age.

91-92 is my probably my favorite season of all time. ;) Among SNL freaks 86-93 is generally considered the best years of the show.  Even beating out 75-80. Sandler was only a featured player in 91.  93/94 and especially 94/95 is where he started to hog air time

House should have ended after season 6, even if the decline was noticeable throughout. Season 7 was mostly terrible, and I don't really remember season 8.

Oz should've ended with Adebisi's death. Everything after that was mostly unwatchable. 

91-92 is my probably my favorite season of all time. ;) Among SNL freaks 86-93 is generally considered the best years of the show.  Even beating out 75-80. Sandler was only a featured player in 91.  93/94 and especially 94/95 is where he started to hog air time

Does anyone really think SNL was ever consistently good.  I don't think it's possible to actually produce that much sketch comedy every single week and everything be gold.  Everybody agrees that people like Tina Fey, Amy Poelher, Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig, Seth Myers, Jason Sudekis, and basically most of the people on the show are hilarious super talented people, but based on the format some times it is going to suck.  I also think that celebrities as a whole are less versitle now than they were in the past.  A host that can't keep up with the rhythm of the comedy can really drag the show down.  I think it still serves its purpose despite the fact that I never really watch it.

• Like 2

Agreed about many of the hosts.  I'm not a Justin Timberlake fan, but he's perect for SNL because he can cover a lot of ground--singing, dancing, acting, physical comedy.  The same with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Alec Baldwin.  Someone like Channing Tatum knows how to roll with the punches and can make for some good entertainment.  But they only get 3-4 hosts like that every year, and that leaves a lot of room for some cringeworthy stuff.

I still watch SNL every week and I usually find at least half the sketches to be worth my time.  Sometimes they really hit their stride and produce a great episode.  There's usually at least one or two cast members who I root for because you can tell they are super talented or just that they try really hard to make everything they get work.  Taran Killiam and Bobby Moynihan are the two guys right now that I enjoy the most.

I must be the be the only one that loved the last season of 'Newsradio', I loved the first few seasons and the tone was completely different in the last but it was a totally weird but still hilarious show (Much like how 'Seinfeld' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' have evolved into being crazy but still hilarious): Smatthew, Johnny Johnson, Stinkbutt, Matthew accusing Lisa of ritual satanic abuse, Matthew as a punk rocker (getting admonished by Dave for listening to Stryper), Tiffani Amber Thiessen (!!!), Joe-jitsu, and the perfect ending with Dave and Matthew (Even if it was techinically supposed to be a springboard for the next season).

As much as I loved the dinner party episode of 'The Office', the show had a perfect ending in the palm of its hands with 'Goodbye Toby', Jim proposes to Pam, Michael meets his soul mate, and at the end we catch Dwight and Angela together.  Show is wrapped up nice and neat, without wrapping it all up.

I would've been much happier with 'Parks and Recreation' if it was only Seasons 1 and 2, but I'm likely in the minority on that one.

I think when Bill Hader was on the Nerdist, he spoke about the difference between the performances given by various hosts. He mentioned that they reason why the Justin Timberlake shows are always the best is that he's a performer and has been for his entire life practically, so he knows how to work a live audience. Actors tend to have a tougher time since they're not used to working with cue cards or capturing the attention of a live audience.

Roseanne really started to go downhill once they won the lottery and killed the entire feel of the show.  Dan cheating with his nurse was another reason as well.  Just didn't feel the same.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't realize all of this happened in the last season.  Guess this is point proven

Yeah, Roseanne was an awesome show. Then it went to shit. It's one of the few comedies that handled the tough real life situations very well..  Another was Fresh Prince and I think that also fits this thread. I wouldn't say the final season is "bad" but it does get kind of crappy once Hill gets her television show and Ash becomes a model, etc..

Another was Fresh Prince and I think that also fits this thread. I wouldn't say the final season is "bad" but it does get kind of crappy once Hill gets her television show and Ash becomes a model, etc..

Any show where the main star or stars are teenagers/young adults gets long in the tooth when they basically have to find excuses to keep the parents involved. Their family was rich so why was Ashley working at a fast food joint? Also, why didn't Will get a basketball scholarship? Also, why the fuck did Nicky go from two months old, to 4 years old for that one episode, to another older kid episodes later? Why the hell were Ashley, Carlton, and Hillary three different skin colors? As a black person, that always bothered me. Actually that last one is hilarious considering they switched out Vivians. Anyway, that show was not great for continuity.

Hell, I don't even remember why Carlton was at a state university. Sure his dream was to go to Princeton and he botched it (at least for the moment) but you're telling me he couldn't have gotten into another Ivy league school, Uncle Phil couldn't pull some strings? Come on man..