DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

giphy.gif

The classic 1992 Royal Rumble match. Bobby Heenan's "dammit!" at the above and the awesome commentary by Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon.

"Dammit!"

"This isn't fair to Flair!!!"

"I'm going to have to apologise, I won't be my usual objective here."

"Hey stupid, get me a drink."

"Oh no" when Roddy Piper enters with Flair on his own.

"I never thought I'd say this but thank you, Roddy. It's a kilt."

"Why you no good, it's a skirt."

"Weasel your way out!"

“It doesn’t look good, Monsoon. Please let him win it. I’m sorry for everything I’ve ever done, everything I’ve ever said. I’ll never say anything bad again about anybody. Just let Flair win it. I’ll be a different person, I promise you.” 

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

• Like 4

Jun Izumida was an awesome undercard guy through the NOAH years and that match where I think Akiyama filled his mouth with toothpaste is something I'll have a hard time forgetting. He could wrestle competently enough but he was probably at his best as a comedy guy.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, Edwin said:

Curious how those who dislike Shibata feel about Battlarts. Ikeda and Ishikawa were punting each other in the head, punching each other in the mouth and headbutting each other into bloody pulps. There's also guys like Vader and Hansen who were extremely stiff, worked very physical styles and even got overly reckless in the ring and injured guys (Joe Thurman's back, Vader's eye, etc). Not exactly the same, but you get the point.

On his MMA run -- Due to being a former New Japan wrestler, he got thrown to the wolves somewhat and was put in fights he had no right to be in -- Ralek, Saku, Sexyama and Mach. That's a ridiculous list of opponents for any MMA rookie. He also scored a massive win over Minowaman who is a JMMA icon. Izumi, Young Choi (Ryouji Sai's brother) and Nakanishi are relatively unknown to non hardcore MMA fans, but they are top regional Japanese fighters in their respective divisions so there's really no shame in losing to them. Heck, even fighting Ryuta was ridiculous as Shibata had about 10 fights then against fighters he had no right to be in the ring against and Ryuta was already a vet with over 40 fights.

Unless the demographic of DVDVR has changed in the last 19 years then we should all be bout-y bout-y still about Ikeda vs Ishikawa. DVDVR IS the reason the majority of US fans even know if the greatness of BattlArts

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

"Dammit!"

"This isn't fair to Flair!!!"

"I'm going to have to apologise, I won't be my usual objective here."

"Hey stupid, get me a drink."

"Oh no" when Roddy Piper enters with Flair on his own.

"I never thought I'd say this but thank you, Roddy. It's a kilt."

"Why you no good, it's a skirt."

"Weasel your way out!"

“It doesn’t look good, Monsoon. Please let him win it. I’m sorry for everything I’ve ever done, everything I’ve ever said. I’ll never say anything bad again about anybody. Just let Flair win it. I’ll be a different person, I promise you.” 

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

The Brain's delivery on those bolded lines kills me every single time I watch this show, even all these years later. He's so happy Roddy is helping and sounds so genuine when he says it's a kilt, and almost in the same breath is seething with rage when Piper(of course)turns on Flair. Its just one of so many amazing lines from Bobby in one of the greatest commentary performances ever

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Triple H/Nash HIAC was way better than the HHH/HBK one.

The Booker T mania match was really good outside the finish. 

The stuff with Benoit was great.

Now 04 HBK was God fucking awful.

HHH/Nash HIAC being better than HHH/HBK HIAC isn’t really saying much.

The Booker match was good but people still remember it for the shitty finish. Booker should’ve had his Mania moment.

The Benoit stuff was great, and also mostly included HBK.

I’d watch a HBK 04 match over any HHH 04 match.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:04 AM, Oyaji said:

So weird that such a high level athlete looked awkward and uncoordinated as hell on the regular. 

Moose and Jack Swagger say hi.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Jun Izumida was an awesome undercard guy through the NOAH years and that match where I think Akiyama filled his mouth with toothpaste is something I'll have a hard time forgetting. He could wrestle competently enough but he was probably at his best as a comedy guy.

Yeah, Izu ruled. As did Shiga, Inoue, etc.

I remember I was revisiting a lot of old Noah matches a little ago and I posted in the Japanese pro-wrestling folder and over at PWO and I mentioned how awesome those under/mid card matches were, but they rarely got any recognition back then because people mostly focused on the big names heavyweights and Jr.'s.

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

AnyNaturalEstuarinecrocodile-size_restri

24xi7uo.gif

Here Rev, have your worked punch. The greatest worked punch ever.

The pop for it, always gives me goosebumps.

16 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Thee greatest punch in a rassling match I ever saw (more for technique than emotion or story) was at a house show, Terry Taylor v. Diamond Dallas Page ("92, UIC Pavilion). DDP took a beating and was on one knee, and brought this fisticuff literally from the mat, through TT's chin and up to full extension to get back on top in the match. Taylor sold it like death and it was a great mildly heelish comeback. If you have ever read "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way", it was that kind of exaggerated motion. It was a Kirby Punch! You could reallysee Page improve from match to match, esp. when he was in there with a pro like Taylor.

- RAF

20ibgc9.jpg

Hold my beer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

giphy.gif

The classic 1992 Royal Rumble match. Bobby Heenan's "dammit!" at the above and the awesome commentary by Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon.

He kinda stops right after this and in my head I always like to think it’s because Ted muttered “Enjoy my title run” as he passed him. 

• Haha 2