DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

Thee greatest punch in a rassling match I ever saw (more for technique than emotion or story) was at a house show, Terry Taylor v. Diamond Dallas Page ("92, UIC Pavilion). DDP took a beating and was on one knee, and brought this fisticuff literally from the mat, through TT's chin and up to full extension to get back on top in the match. Taylor sold it like death and it was a great mildly heelish comeback. If you have ever read "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way", it was that kind of exaggerated motion. It was a Kirby Punch! You could reallysee Page improve from match to match, esp. when he was in there with a pro like Taylor.

- RAF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

HHH vs. HBK three stages of hell is my literal definition of hell. Well maybe HHH vs. Vince from Armageddon '99. HHH at Armageddon in general must've been some cursed bullshit.

The best HHH/Shawn matches are the triple threats with Benoit.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wouldn't go that far. Heck, he's even had matches with Michaels that I enjoy. The last Raw of '03 in San Antonio was a lot of fun. 

And I forget about the Summerslam 02 match. But beyond that, Evolution HHH was just the shits to watch. He was on his bury WCW stars tour.

• Like 2

I'm going to need to go back and watch some of the things I remember enjoying at the time. I recall liking his work with Nash, Edge, Flair, Benoit, Batista, and even Maven of all people. There's plenty of context that explains why people didn't like that run. But a lot of the work is not as bad as all that.

The 03 Raw match with Flair was a nice nostalgic match with a hot crowd. I think HHH started picking up steam with his Batista feud in 05. When I think of Evolution HHH, I think of matches with Steiner, Nash, Booker T., Orton, Eugene, RVD, Goldberg, etc. Most of those matches deserved to be better with the talent involved. 

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

AnyNaturalEstuarinecrocodile-size_restri

One of my favorite guilty pleasure matches of all time.  Paul Roma ends his career in one match by being the biggest dickhead possible by giving Alex Wright nothing and then kicking out of the finish.  Literally the only reason Paul Orndorff is even in the clip is because he was trying to tell him to stop being a dickhead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

One of my favorite guilty pleasure matches of all time.  Paul Roma ends his career in one match by being the biggest dickhead possible by giving Alex Wright nothing and then kicking out of the finish.  Literally the only reason Paul Orndorff is even in the clip is because he was trying to tell him to stop being a dickhead. 

Burn It Down.

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2019 at 7:04 PM, Oyaji said:

Outside of his late career-ish run with Kobashi from like 2002-2004, is this true? And even then he was wildly inconsistent and could be relied on for putting out some really bad matches. So weird that such a high level athlete looked awkward and uncoordinated as hell on the regular. 

Image result for tamon honda dead end

He wasn't really a guy making AJPW Comm tapes in the 90s, outside of the infamous Honda/Izu vs. Hayabusa/Shinzaki match where Shinzaki gets busted open and bleeds everywhere. So there wasn't a ton of Honda to judge by until he got to NOAH. And once he started getting more viewed matches in 2001 he looked really good. I've seen a decent amount of his mid 90s stuff and he was still raw and hadn't developed some of his best 2000-2005 traits, but I bet if I had access to and watched any '96-'99 Honda out there that it would come off really favorably. A ton of those AJPW undercarders age really well. Seriously, go back and look at how much better IZU was than anyone remembers.