DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Rev you are doing yourself a disservice for ragging on that G-1 Climax. If stiffness bugs you, then you can watch Nishimura work his ass off by having these brilliant G-1 matches where the idea is that he’ll either wear his opponent down enough to pin him, or settle for a draw to get a point.

No slagging on the G1C as a whole, Subs, but more on the general spots of shooting to get over or get a pop. Although it is consensual, anybody could do that - where's the artistry? If stiffness is in the service of a story or the psychology, it's fine. Like I said, it is just my preferences, but the line from a strong style slap/chop exchange (which is mind-blowing the first time you see it) to indy "hardcore" workers straight up slugging each other is short. The over-abundance of the latter makes me resent the former (perhaps unfairly) retroactively. I dislike the stiff headbutt to skull or ring-post for spots as well for the same reason, not to mention the physical toll on the folks doing these things. I will also be the first to sneer at the kids who don't lay it in - like I said, I know what I pay to see.

- RAF

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Outside of his late career-ish run with Kobashi from like 2002-2004, is this true? And even then he was wildly inconsistent and could be relied on for putting out some really bad matches. So weird that such a high level athlete looked awkward and uncoordinated as hell on the regular. 

Image result for tamon honda dead end

gif%2B%25289%2529.gif

He was quite old by the time he got anywhere and just wasn't a great traditional athlete. Spent most of the 90's as just random All Asia tag match nobody. He was fairly big for a Japanese guy too.

32 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

No slagging on the G1C as a whole, Subs, but more on the general spots of shooting to get over or get a pop. Although it is consensual, anybody could do that - where's the artistry? If stiffness is in the service of a story or the psychology, it's fine. Like I said, it is just my preferences, but the line from a strong style slap/chop exchange (which is mind-blowing the first time you see it) to indy "hardcore" workers straight up slugging each other is short. The over-abundance of the latter makes me resent the former (perhaps unfairly) retroactively. I dislike the stiff headbutt to skull or ring-post for spots as well for the same reason, not to mention the physical toll on the folks doing these things. I will also be the first to sneer at the kids who don't lay it in - like I said, I know what I pay to see.

- RAF

You paid to see Necro Butcher bar room punch exchanges where they'd pull nothing.

NO.

I have paid to see goofs who imitate the Necrobutcher do the bar room punch exchange (stop judging meeee).

This shameful sequence still goes regularly at CZW and it's spawn to this day, I am sure. This really is my least favorite spot in all of pro wrestling. It breaks kay fabe, unsuspends my disbelief, and grinds my yarbles worser than any "fake" looney tunes (invisible grenade (sorry, Mr. Taylor)). Hey, I like a lot of comedy spots!

slowly I turned...,

RAF

• Like 1

@Edwin: I've never liked worked shoots or anything like that so have avoided those types of promotions like the plague. I did like Pancrase in its early days, but that's a grey area. I think it's the weird 'tough guy posturing yet knowing you can't actually do it for real' that annoys me, every one of them seems to have worked themselves into a shoot. See also: Nobuhiko Takada.

As for snug/physical wrestling matches, that's my preferred style. Vader and Hansen could take it too far like you say, but guys like Duggan, Gordy, Funk, Slater, Austin etc excelled at it.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It probably wasn't. Bruce Prichard, among others have said Rude wasn't fond of the Warrior.

Which is strange as that's who he drew the most money with and who regularly got the best out of Warrior

41 minutes ago, The Natural said:

1ce8c6448152be0f-600x338.gif

Thank god “people power” actually chose the true winner in this one. If Vince had his way we would’ve seen the Lex Express part deux heading into Wrestlemania 10 and Luger would’ve gotten as a good a reaction as HBK got at Survivor Series 96.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

Thank god “people power” actually chose the true winner in this one. If Vince had his way we would’ve seen the Lex Express part deux heading into Wrestlemania 10 and Luger would’ve gotten as a good a reaction as HBK got at Survivor Series 96.

Mmmmmmmhh... Watched this recently. I gotta say, Lex’s pops weren’t huge, but it sounded at times like his were louder during the impromptu polling by the refs. 

35 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

I'm with you fellow Bret Hart fan. Cool avatar from the SummerSlam 1997 poster, Hart and Soul.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm with you fellow Bret Hart fan. Cool avatar from the SummerSlam 1997 poster, Hart and Soul.

Bret has MANY disciples lol But I'll still concede the fact the Shawn Michaels validated his GOAT status with his second run.

I remember begging my parents to go to Summerslam 97 as a kid (I live in Jersey), but instead we got the illegal cable box. Which was a good pay off since I got all the ppvs for free (and record them on vis), but also sped up my puberty with access to "other" ppv channels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mmmmmmmhh... Watched this recently. I gotta say, Lex’s pops weren’t huge, but it sounded at times like his were louder during the impromptu polling by the refs. 

I'm not 100% sure but I could've sworn I read somewhere that the release of RR 94 edited the fan response to make it sound loud for Luger as well. Maybe someone here has better information.

I know he was still getting family loud pops in early 94 but post Hogan and pre Austin, no-one was getting louder pops besides the Undertaker than Bret Hart. I know HBK was hot after WM 11-1996, but consistently Bret was getting massive pops from his initial single run in 91 up until the fans turned on him in early 97.

4 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

Bret has MANY disciples lol But I'll still concede the fact the Shawn Michaels validated his GOAT status with his second run.

I remember begging my parents to go to Summerslam 97 as a kid (I live in Jersey), but instead we got the illegal cable box. Which was a good pay off since I got all the ppvs for free (and record them on vis), but also sped up my puberty with access to "other" ppv channels.

In the UK, PPV's were part of the Sky subscription. 2002, Royal Rumble was a PPV for the first time. I think first WrestleMania you had pay for was WrestleMania 21.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, olythegreat89 said:

I'm not 100% sure but I could've sworn I read somewhere that the release of RR 94 edited the fan response to make it sound loud for Luger as well. Maybe someone here has better information.

I know he was still getting family loud pops in early 94 but post Hogan and pre Austin, no-one was getting louder pops besides the Undertaker than Bret Hart. I know HBK was hot after WM 11-1996, but consistently Bret was getting massive pops from his initial single run in 91 up until the fans turned on him in early 97.

On the unedited one it sounds 50/50, and sometimes 60/50 for Lex. The RAW’s afterwards Luger was still getting bigger reactions, than Bret. But it didn’t help that Luger’s matches sucked, and Vince was more loyal to his company boy Bret, than he was to outsider Luger. I mean I don’t mind that Bret got the push. I never liked Luger, and didn’t relate to the Lex Express gimmick. But looking back on it, if Vince truly wanted Lex to happen, then he would’ve justified it just going by crowd reactions. I think deep down Vince wanted Bret to succeed in this Bret Vs. new Hogan ordeal. Just to sort of put a nail in the coffin of the roided superstar era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

In the UK, PPV's were part of the Sky subscription. 2002, Royal Rumble was a PPV for the first time. I think first WrestleMania you had pay for was WrestleMania 21.

I remember paying for XX, but with that card there was no way I was going to miss it.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 4:29 AM, Brian Fowler said:

That Rockers vs Japanese Bad Company match at the Rumble is one of the best like four or five ppv matches the WWF had from 85 through like 94 or 95.

I'll say it. I enjoyed Rocker Shawn Michaels more than any other point in his career. His initial heel push was pretty boring in-ring wise, but he got the character work down. Sherri added so much to the act. Man, she looked amazing in those outfits she wore at the time. I did get a huge kick out of Finkel or Mike McGuirk announcing "Shawn Michaels has left the building." 

The pairing with Diesel was pretty good. It made sense for Shawn to have a bodyguard at that time. It fit the character. 

By about '95-'96. I started to sour on him. I feel like Shawn was one of the least sympathetic babyfaces, and I was always a Bret fan over Shawn going back to the Hart Foundation and Rockers. I was starting to read the dirt sheets and sites like 1Wrestling clued me into the backstage shit. I was firmly behind Bret, Mankind, Sid, Taker, Vader, and Austin when they faced Shawn.

I've been mostly anti-Shawn since, with the 2005 Rockers reunion being the lone exception. I hate the post-comeback forced, epic matches with tons of time in the match spent with Shawn, Taker, and HHH just lying around, stalling for time.

• Like 4